Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been chasing this around for a while and its now back again. Car will go dead within 12 hrs when it decides to. Ha. Did draw test on battery fulling fuses and such. Car acts normal starting at 4.5A draw and slowly drops down to .18A as systems boot up. Started with new battery just to get that possibility out of the way. Heres what ive found after sitting for some time the draw comes up to 2.5A briefly then settles back to 1.18A. It will continue to cycle up and down until door switch is opened. As it does this the speakers hiss. Shut the door it settles in as normal then will start its chaotic cycling again. Pulled amp fuse drops about .5A. Pulled radio fuse and it will drop to the 1.18A. Now 1.18 is still to high in my opinion with no key in ignition. Pulled BCM logic fuse and draw will settle back in at or around .18A. So i dont want to throw parts at it and was curious if anyone else has had this and what module could cause this or possibly amp or radio malfunction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok have found the culprit. Something relating to overhead lamp switches. If i leave the switches in the off position so lights will not come on when door is opened the draw goes away. Havent found where the short in the harness is yet but were getting closer. Also noticed leds on temp control unit go brighter with switches in the on position and fade out with it off.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium, 2009 DTS Base (sold), 1997 Eldorado Coupe
69 Posts
I would suspect the controller located in the overhead console. I had a defective one in a 2009 DTS and the radio lights would stay on as well as the outside temp display with the key removed. Weird. I bought a new overhead console off of eBay and it fixed it. May or may not work for your problem but sounds similar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes sounds like a great idea. I was going to start there. Im going to pull the whole assembly out and look it over for any signs of a problem. Any tips how that assembly pops out. Havent had a chance to look to closely at it yet.

----------

I was able to pull the code for it as well. Gave me an overhead lamp circuit short to ground off of the drivers door module. I forget the number on the code but i could check with tech 2 again. Can clear it and it doesnt come back until the drivers side switch is pushed again turning the lamp on.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium, 2009 DTS Base (sold), 1997 Eldorado Coupe
69 Posts
The overhead console is held in by 4 spring clips. Two on the front and two on the rear. The are located about 1/2" inboard from the edge. I used a flat blade screwdriver to push the clips back toward the console. I will look when I get home and see if I can find the photo of the one I had so you can get an idea of what I am talking about. Hopefully, I haven't deleted it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts