Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 2.8L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about an issue I was having about 2 months ago of a sputter that would occur during a cold start every morning. This sputter would only last a second or two at most. Well I took advice from some of the replies and changed spark plugs and tranny fluid and no to success the noise still is there. No check engine light has been thrown but, the issue of the noise still worries me. Since the weather has started to get a bit colder I tried starting the car just recently and it sputtered until it died. I have found a video that sounds like the same sputter I am hearing. If anyone has any advice please comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwKENPxkyAw

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.7L
518 Posts
Has the fuel filter ever been changed? Did you run a good fuel system cleaner in it? After you start the car and that happens and BEFORE it goes away, go immediately behind the car and smell the exhaust. does it smell heavily like gas? or just normal exhaust? If it is gas, then it might be a sticking injector, or bad coil or plug not burning the fuel. The issue goes away when the component warms up. If it smells normal or like nothing, then it could be starving for gas which means a clog or pressure leak, also a sticking injector but closed.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 2.8L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my knowledge the fuel filter has never been changed. Now that you mention it there is a gas scent that occurs after starting it for the first time in the day.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 2.8L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aside from plugs and trans fluid, what oher maintenance had been done on the car?
Nothing since my time of ownership. Which was back in July of 2018. The vehicle has been owned by my family for 6 years or so and we have down oil changes regularly. The last thing to have been changed before this was a water pump but that shouldn’t be making this noise to my knowledge.

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
377 Posts
Variable valve timing problems. Do you run synthetic, 5-30? There's little mesh screens on the actuators and they need lots of clean synthetic oil to stay clean. Extended oil changes were a culprit in the timing chain problems and caddy changed the oil life monitor programming to make you change your oil more frequently. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >133k miles
795 Posts
Nothing since my time of ownership. Which was back in July of 2018. The vehicle has been owned by my family for 6 years or so and we have down oil changes regularly. The last thing to have been changed before this was a water pump but that shouldn’t be making this noise to my knowledge.
When you say the oil was changed regularly, do you mean that it was changed according to the maintenance minder, by mileage, or some other strategy? As mattt0305 said, extended oil changes are a problem for these engines and GM tried to solve the problem by shortening the change interval. I think that is a good idea but don't know if it is too little too late or if it preserves the engines a little longer. DEXOS approved oil is also a good choice, but you may still have VVT problems...either with the solenoids, the actuators, or timing chain wear, etc. Personally, I would start by removing/cleaning the camshaft solenoids, and then move on to bigger projects if that doesn't help.

Also be sure to use the correct oil. I ran Pennzoil high mileage oil (not DEXOS approved) for the past 1.5 yrs and it eliminated the oil consumption. However the timing chain rattle at startup became progressively worse. I then switched to magnatec syn 5w30 (DEXOS approved) and it quieted down somewhat and did not get worse. Nevertheless I decided to change the chains during xmas break and all is now good. I don't know whether the HM oil caused the problem or just exacerbated it, but I plan to continue with the magnatec. If I change to HM in the future it will likely be synthetic maxlife (DEXOS approved), just to eliminate a non-approved oil as a possible cause.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it only lasts a second or two then check starter. I had an issue similar where on cold days(and we don’t have many in SWF) the bendix drive would not release so the motor would knock and sputter until it released. Just a thought based on limited info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 2.8L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you say the oil was changed regularly, do you mean that it was changed according to the maintenance minder, by mileage, or some other strategy? As mattt0305 said, extended oil changes are a problem for these engines and GM tried to solve the problem by shortening the change interval. I think that is a good idea but don't know if it is too little too late or if it preserves the engines a little longer. DEXOS approved oil is also a good choice, but you may still have VVT problems...either with the solenoids, the actuators, or timing chain wear, etc. Personally, I would start by removing/cleaning the camshaft solenoids, and then move on to bigger projects if that doesn't help.

Also be sure to use the correct oil. I ran Pennzoil high mileage oil (not DEXOS approved) for the past 1.5 yrs and it eliminated the oil consumption. However the timing chain rattle at startup became progressively worse. I then switched to magnatec syn 5w30 (DEXOS approved) and it quieted down somewhat and did not get worse. Nevertheless I decided to change the chains during xmas break and all is now good. I don't know whether the HM oil caused the problem or just exacerbated it, but I plan to continue with the magnatec. If I change to HM in the future it will likely be synthetic maxlife (DEXOS approved), just to eliminate a non-approved oil as a possible cause.
For my regular oil changes I do them roughly around 2500 miles and do Mobil1 full synthetic high mileage. I don’t drive very far distances so oil changes happen maybe once every 3 months

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 2.8L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe Ive sources the issue to either a bad fuel injector or simply a clogged one. I’ve just put in Lucas oil fuel treatment to see if it cleans out the injectors to help with the next cold start. If it doesn’t help I might seek to purchase a injector rebuild kit to see if it helps.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.7L
518 Posts
Good to hear. How did you come to that conclusion? And which injector do you think is the culprit?

BTW, follow the directions for the cleaner. Put the cleaner in while at home or at the store you get it from when you are low on gas. Drive a few miles then fill it up. That way it has more concentrated power for a little bit to loosen up bad stuff. Then the fill up will dilute it some to clean out what was loosened. That will be your best bang before rebuilding the injector(s).

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 2.8L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had come to that conclusion while researching clogged or dirty injectors and it was giving me symptoms that i was experiencing so I wanted to give the cleaning a shot. As of today when trying to start the vehicle for the first time from sitting overnight, the car fried right up, no flutter.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.7L
518 Posts
Good to hear! Just needed a cleaning. I would do it one more time just to be sure. Or at least at every oil change so it does not come up again for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >133k miles
795 Posts
Greenmachineiijh asked (above) about the fuel filter. If this has not been done, it would probably be worthwhile given the dirty injectors. If you diy this, dont follow the youtube video showing a guy breaking the screw for the bracket (only vid available for cts fuel filter when i looked)...you do not need to remove that screw...the filter just slides into the bracket.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.7L
518 Posts
For me doing the fuel filter, I unscrewed mine. No breaking involved. Hardest part was using that stupid tool. You have to hit the clips at just right angle to get them to release. And press HARD and jiggle it in to get them to release all the way.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >133k miles
795 Posts
Hardest part was using that stupid tool. You have to hit the clips at just right angle to get them to release. And press HARD and jiggle it in to get them to release all the way.
That is the truth!

As with the coolant lines for the transmission, commercially available disconnect tools are not particularly useful. I found that cutting a syringe works much better in both cases. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vitouv02Kg&t=8s&index=10&list=LL-E_QXVp5tot05BX89QY5wA for instructions (this is for a Ford but works perfect on the CTS).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts