Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 3rd third brake light on my 05 . It’s driving me nuts that the lights always go out within a year. Tried eBay and Amazon and they only sell used ones for like 350 or so. And I can’t seem to find any aftermarket ones. Does anyone know if a company makes an aftermarket one for a decent price. I would just take it off but the holes in the glass don’t look good nor would stop water from getting in. I don’t understand how when I search for these all that come up are Tahoe, Yukon, and suburban ones those little bitty ones come after market why can’t mine?

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,499 Posts
I paid about $300 for a new 3rd brake light for my 2006 Escalade at my Chevy dealer part department and it has been going strong for about 4 years now. My third brake light was bad when I bought my Escalade used, but I did not notice it until someone brought it to my attention..

Therefore, I would just buy a new brake light and call it a day. Most used ones will probably be on its last legs when buy it and fail soon which means you have buy another one anyway and do not save any money.

Reactions: Kjindacaddy

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,499 Posts
Wonder if there are any aftermarket like smoked LED ones?.
Do not seem like anyone makes aftermarket high-mount brake light units for our SUV. You will have to tint your current one if you repair the unit it seems or tint a new one if you replace it.

Rock Auto sells the OEM brake light for $350, not cheap but it seems to be about what it worth to replace it. Buying used ones and repairing the old one will be cheaper, but I do not know how long they will last. The brake light repair link listed above seem to suggest that the GM dealers do not sell the brake lights any more which is wrong. However, stock may be limited to what is available in warehouse as no new ones will be made.

The units may be easy to repair if it is only a failed electrical component like a resistor or relay. I will try to repair the current brake light myself I have now if it fails again.

Here is the part number for OEM brake light.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Do not seem like anyone makes aftermarket high-mount brake light units for our SUV. You will have to tint your current one if you repair the unit it seems or tint a new one if you replace it.

Rock Auto sells the OEM brake light for $350, not cheap but it seems to be about what it worth to replace it. Buying used ones and repairing the old one will be cheaper, but I do not know how long they will last. The brake light repair link listed above seem to suggest that the GM dealers do not sell the brake lights any more which is wrong. However, stock may be limited to what is available in warehouse as no new ones will be made.

The units may be easy to repair if it is only a failed electrical component like a resistor or relay. I will try to repair the current brake light myself I have now if it fails again.

Here is the part number for OEM brake light.
Is the high mount stoplight or the tail light.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Is the high mount stoplight or the tail light.
Third brake-light is the high mounted one. There are many aftermarket taillights available for the Escalade, but none for the third brake light.

The link I posted has a picture of the high mounted third brake light.

·
Registered
'05 Escallade ESV Plat., '16 Z51 Corvette, '03 Avalanche, 12 Lexus IS350C
175 Posts
Mine got ripped off in a car wash last week.
To be fair, one end had popped up and I forgot about it.

I possibly found a used one from a friend.
If that doesn't pan out, I will ripping mine apart and fitting LEDs in there.
I can't see dumping $350 into a 3rd brake light for a 15 yo truck that is rusting with 212,xxx miles..

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 310,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,176 Posts
Mine blew off in a car wash as well a few months back. The car wash found a used one in great condition on CL the next day. They replaced mine for free!

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
152 Posts
I have been worried about mine ripping off in the carwash as well as I have one side that is popped up. Tried searching for the screw and all I can come up with is a 3rd brake light bolt screws 1" T15 Retainer OEM for 50 bucks. I can't imagine that this is a specialty screw and I may just go to the hardware store. Has anyone one else tried replacing a lost screw?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have been worried about mine ripping off in the carwash as well as I have one side that is popped up. Tried searching for the screw and all I can come up with is a 3rd brake light bolt screws 1" T15 Retainer OEM for 50 bucks. I can't imagine that this is a specialty screw and I may just go to the hardware store. Has anyone one else tried replacing a lost screw?
Is it just a bold or a bolt and nut that holds it in. Is it possible you can take a picture?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You can get a 50 piece set of 1'' T15 stainless steel screws and the T15 bit for about $8 on amazon.

Reactions: Rivelite
1 - 15 of 15 Posts