Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Just picked up my new 99 eldorado last week. The car came with the 05 STS wheels which are 17". Yesterday I had new tires put on. I noticed when the tires were off that on the hub two of the wheels say rear wheel. So I hit the net last night to try and find some info out about the wheels. All I can really find is that they are rear wheel drive wheels. The have two differen't sizes at 7.5" wide and 8" wide with a 51mm offset. Is this correct? Should I put the rear wheels on the rear of the Eldo? Trying to figure out the track witdh so the correct wheels can be in the correct place as FWD and RWD are different or do I just need different wheels? I hate to get rid of them.They look killer. Any info would be nice. Thanks

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
The 8 inch go on the rear of the 05 STS. I don't think you'll notice any difference on your car if they are in front or rear. On a CTS and maybe the STS, the 8 inchers will rub the front knuckle.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
I think the offset you're looking for is 40mm. 51mm increases the track width by about 7/16". The wheels are most likely designed to carry two different tire sizes, a la Corvette. You'll have a real witch hunt figuring out which sizes, small front, large rear, will give you the least fender well scraping in turns. The Eldo/Seville/Deville series you're in was NOT designed for different sized wheels/tires.

·
Registered
Cadillac
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I figured it out. From more research all I can come up with is just that the rear wheels are wider. I put all the same size tires on it. 235/55/17's on it. I haven't noticed or seen any rubbing issue's.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Think I figured it out. From more research all I can come up with is just that the rear wheels are wider. I put all the same size tires on it. 235/55/17's on it. I haven't noticed or seen any rubbing issue's.
That's right, for some reason they put the same size tires on 1/2 inch different wheel sizes. The only issues will be on a CTS or maybe STS knuckle. It won't affect your car.

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
Actually that would have been from a RWD STS. The stock tires sizes are as follows:

235/50-17
255/45-17

They come with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4s stock. The stamping for 'rear wheel' means exactly that and it should stay a rear wheel. Though on an eldorado that shouldn't matter those cadillacs have gobs of space in the wheel wells.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
:thumbsup: According to Michelin and Goodyear, 235/55/17's can mount on a rim width from 6.5" to 8.5", so you should be home free.........betcha the bigger rims go on the rear of a RWD vehicle 'cause they're RWD. Does SoccerMom know or care??? No. (Look at the driver's door sticker for OEM tire sizes. Did your car come with 16's or 17's?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts