Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, great forum. I recently purchased an 05 with 47K miles. I got the check engine light on with a miss. The miss would come and go and be much less when the car warmed up. Thought it was a bad coil. Turned out it had 17 codes which we erased to start fresh. Light came back the next day. Came back with two bad cam sensors. Replaced the four to be safe. This morning for a quick second I heard rattling. Can the timing chain be bad at 47K miles?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,486 Posts
How's the oil level? The V8 isn't known to eat timing chains like the V6.

I ask about oil level as the chain tensioners and timing is controlled by oil pressure.

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
Firstly, great forum. I recently purchased an 05 with 47K miles. I got the check engine light on with a miss. The miss would come and go and be much less when the car warmed up. Thought it was a bad coil. Turned out it had 17 codes which we erased to start fresh. Light came back the next day. Came back with two bad cam sensors. Replaced the four to be safe. This morning for a quick second I heard rattling. Can the timing chain be bad at 47K miles?
The Northstar is pretty much bullet proof when it comes to timing chains.

Have you changed the oil (filter) lately?

The oil return valve on the oil filter can be faulty and cause a dry start, which would make you hear the timing chain rattle.
I would for $10 buy a mobil 1 filter and change it asap. You do not have to drain the pan just take the filter off, unless you haven't changed it in a while.

If you just remove the filter you're only going to loose a couple of cups of oil. Make sure you fill the new filter with oil before putting it back on and maybe another cup or two in the oil fill cap so it is full.

Then start it and see if you still have the rattle at start up?

This only costs $10 and a little of you're time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. Forgot to mention changed air, fuel, and oil filter. Fresh synthetic oil change.

Also cleaned the throttle body.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,906 Posts
Does your engine have VVT ??? That system is known for clanks and rattles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Latest update. So when the cams sensors are changed the mechanic is saying the camshaft sensor has to go through a learning stage. He ran some kind of program through the ecm that would push it through. He did this three times and did not take. Wants to try it in the morning when the car is cold. He also said he really does not want to do the camshaft sensor as it is a real PITA. Also told me the starters are a real bear. Will post up when I learn something new.

·
Registered
2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry
390 Posts
Good grief, a ten yr old n* w/ 47k? Put fresh oil in and take it out for a 100 mile run at WOT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Camshaft sensor is the only code coming up now. I am going to check the intake bolts later on. I read here that they come loose and can cause the vehicle to run a bit rough. I know this won't cause the camshaft fault but something else that needs checking. Thanks to everyone for the input.

·
Registered
2005 STS N*
125 Posts
Camshaft sensor is the only code coming up now. I am going to check the intake bolts later on. I read here that they come loose and can cause the vehicle to run a bit rough. I know this won't cause the camshaft fault but something else that needs checking. Thanks to everyone for the input.
I remember I had these codes (missfire, Camshaft position sensor) right after I bought my car. One day they just went away... I believe it was sometime after I replaced the plugs and intake manifold gaskets but there is likely no correlation between the two. I'm surprised you're getting this at 47k!

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
I thought so also on purchasing a low mileage auto.
You can have a problem on a brand new car we all know that.

On my DTS I just found that 3 out of the 4 bolts on a brace holding the tranny to the engine have been hand tight since leaving the factory. The only clue I had all these years something was wrong was under load in the winter after the underbody would freeze either from carwash under spray or snow and slush, was a slight louder RPM noise that I thought was just exhaust noise.

I found this myself while being under the car for 1-2 hours seeing if anything was loose.

It was a brand new looking black brace and black bolts, that I think a dealer would have been very hard pressed to find and probably would have just thrown parts at it or thought I was to noise fussy.

The car has NEVER been as quit as it is today.

I say all this long winded post just to say nothing is perfect and we will get to the bottom of you're problem as well.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick update. Checked the intake bolts and they were loose. Tightened them down but the misfire continues.

·
Registered
94 SLS, 97 STS, 05 STS
34 Posts
I was getting the cam shaft sensor errors. I replaced one, the error came back. I read a thread on the forum about somebody that had the codes until he changed the oil then the problem left. So I decided to change my oil. I never saw such shiny oil. Turned out the timing chain ate threw the tensioner arm. So I'd take a quick look at your oil.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded 2015 SRX-traded 2006 STS
110 Posts
Had same problem. They replaced ECM but a few months later same problem. The fix was putting NEW wires from ECM to 4 camshaft sensors. Problem went away.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quick update. Checked the intake bolts and they were loose. Tightened them down but the misfire continues.
I had the P0174 and P0171 CEL codes for the past 6 months with declining fuel economy. Finally, I decided to ditch my K&N air filter and put in a paper FRAM filter. Pulled the battery for an hour, then reconnected and reset my average fuel economy calculator.

CEL hasn't been back on since (touch wood) now 3 tanks of gas later. Mileage is back up from 20L/100km to 15.5L/100km.

You mentioned you changed your filter, I would swap it to a paper filter if you went with a K&N or other high flow type.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts