Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new here and I'm thinking about buying an 05 Cadillac STS v8 all wheel drive but before I get into it I need to know a little bit about it are they expensive to maintain or is it just like every normal vehicle I need to know what to look for in mechanical maintenance. are they good reliable cars the one I'm looking at is a 150000 miles on it

http://amarillo.craigslist.org/cto/4874633635.html

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 1SG STS4 V8
377 Posts
That car looks to be fully optioned. Probably has magnetic ride control, if they haven't been replaced with passive. Those are a big expense when they need to be changed.

Check for bad wheel bearings, and rear end leaks. Make sure the heated steering wheel and heated/ventilated seat functions work.

As always, do your own repairs and the car won't be significantly more expensive to own than other cars. But obviously, don't expect saturn or Toyota reliability.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Also, see the stickied STS FAQ thread in this section of the forum.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
Sure seems odd to see the STS4 in Texas.
Ok on the outside. Pics on the inside don't show anything.

It has adaptive cruise and HUD. This is probably a "fully loaded 1SG" and will have magnetic ride control.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Like mine, this was a $68,000 car new. Do not expect it to be inexpensive to drive and maintain. Do expect it to be a lot of fun: a distinctive & luxurious high performance touring sedan.

In the Winter, I average 15MPG, but I also use the remote start from 200' away & get in a warm car on the coldest Wisconsin days and drive without gloves. An oil change takes 8 quarts of Mobil1, but it only needs it once a year, about 15,000 miles. If the cruise control or other major system fails, I will have a major expense (4 figures). That's life!

And still cheaper than what? Another carbon copy BMW to join those A$$ ole' or Audi, the king of ball joints?

Caddy is still rumbling about a full-size sedan. It could happen....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just don't want to get into a money pit the car looks nice and drives awesome so in your opinion should I buy the car because this will be my full time everyday car

----------

and is 7000 good for this car

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't sell my 2006 V8 1SG w' ACC & all the other goodies & 110,000 miles for twice that. But I know the trans & everything is good. But used is used. Anything could break at any time.

If you've already driven several differently equipped STS and know this one is equipped the way your STS should be set up, then I'd recommend you get serious:

1. Tell them you want it inspected by a mechanic you trust (at your cost - of course)
2. Get the service record on that VIN from a GM Dealer
3. CarFax is nice but not perfect - make sure it's not on a salvage title
4. Work the deal - that is high miles - what's the 'book' in your market on that car right now.

If you haven't gotten to know these cars, I would not simply jump in and find out later that the ride doesn't suit the roads you drive or radio, or some other expectation. They vary a lot in different trim levels and are costly and difficult to modify.

Here's an example. Her car has the 6-speed RWD & the 2.73 gear. It coasts and gets good mileage. I have the 5-speed trans, AWD, 3.23 gear and the trans clutch is aggressive, holding gears and not upshifting or coasting, even in town at slow speeds. Most times, I can drive my car like it has a manual transmission. I like that but she doesn't. I suppose Madtuner could mod her TCM to run like mine in Sport Mode, but it still will never have the MRC tight suspension or ZF variable ratio steering and frankly, why try to make it something it is not? It is more suggestive of the Caddy crème-puff of old, even if she still surprises a lot of cars sporting 'fart cans' when she launches that 2-tons of US iron to 60 MPH in 6 seconds.

I spent six months shopping and my STS is very different than my wife's. We both bought in '08 and are still drivin' & grinnin'!

·
Registered
2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry
390 Posts
I agree w Echase, spend your time to find. My first was a wreck, first gen STS N*, but it learned me to what i liked. The second was too much, FE5 CTS, fun, but too much, now i have a 1SB, seems lame, but in this snow, its perfect. But i do miss the HID.

·
Registered
377 Posts
While I agree with everything that's been said, $7k for what seems to be a fully loaded STS (even with those miles) is a great deal.

However. I'd suggest getting on the highway with it and use the adaptive cruise. Some people (like my dad) don't like the adaptive cruise- it'll give people room to get in front of you, and it'll slow you down again.

·
Registered
2005 STS-4, 2003 CTS 3.2
194 Posts
It's a 150k Cadi - What a gem

lol

150k - looks for leaks, maint that was done, magnetic ride shocks fall apart, look for non functional electronics

That thing is identical to my STS - mine only has 80k, but had a bit of a tough life. All the big stuff is still good, but the small stuff is falling apart

Being realistic, what's the most miles it have left?! - 20-50k max, I dunno

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
You never know... Repairing a car is almost always cheaper than replacing one, even an STS.

But first, know it's the car that suits YOU.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
1,213 Posts
Like mine, this was a $68,000 car new. Do not expect it to be inexpensive to drive and maintain. Do expect it to be a lot of fun: a distinctive & luxurious high performance touring sedan.

In the Winter, I average 15MPG, but I also use the remote start from 200' away & get in a warm car on the coldest Wisconsin days and drive without gloves. An oil change takes 8 quarts of Mobil1, but it only needs it once a year, about 15,000 miles. If the cruise control or other major system fails, I will have a major expense (4 figures). That's life!

And still cheaper than what? Another carbon copy BMW to join those A$$ ole' or Audi, the king of ball joints?

Caddy is still rumbling about a full-size sedan. It could happen....
Echase
I think we both know that the stickers these cars carried weren't worth the paper they were printed on
Mine was even higher than yours as my car has the white diamond tricoat paint
Its irrelevant though as the market value was no where near sticker and many..like you and I both did bought lease returns for a small percentage of the "paper"
If you would not sell yours for market value...that probably just means that you will be living with it
I personally have not seen many used car buyers pay 2x market value...but I guess it could happen

These cars were nothing spectacular is terms of others in reliability and driving experience
That being said...they were the cheapest thing in their class to buy..new or used

The market has a way of making those valuation adjustments
Is it a good value?..depends on if you like the car in the first place and what your budget is
It wasnt my favorite at the time...but it was $5-7K less as a 4 year old car than anything else
Based on some other cash outlays I had going at the time and my desire to not go into debt..the car made sense
I wont touch on the Cadillac full size sedan...lol...time will tell what happens there and I am sure in various threads here

To touch on what the OP mentioned
That price sounds high to me....by about $1500 at least
These cars are extremely mileage sensitive in regard to value. I dont know the mileage point where value really falls on these..but I would speculate its about 80-90K
The car the OP is looking at would probably be a $3500 trade in at a franchise dealer...assuming they are talking real dollars and not padding the trade in value by raising their cars price
They would have no interest in reselling a 10 year old Cadillac with 150K miles at a franchise dealer...so it would be wholesaled

I think my personal car with less than half those miles at 70K..is only worth $10K as a private sale
I cant see a car with 80K more miles only being worth $3K less

what the OP has to consider is ,while the car is at the bottom of its value ,he could spend $3-4K on repairs in a short period of time on a car of this mileage
Unless the car came with tons of receipts showing that many issues had been addressed...I dont think the expectation that spending $2-3K in the first year or say 10K miles of ownership is unrealistic
Knowing that you wont get your money back..inclusive of repairs...should you decide to sell it in 2-3 years is what the OP should be considering

Warren

----------

You never know... Repairing a car is almost always cheaper than replacing one, even an STS.

and yet you didnt replace the HG in your old car?

I dont think that you should have,,trust me

But...based on that statement I would have thought you would have

Warren

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
That was my wife's car, not mine. The Seville STS, while a looker in white diamond, being front wheel drive is no drivers car. It had multiple expensive issues. The sunroof was going to cost a couple grand to fix and as transportation, the car had become unreliable; dying and not restating. Multiple shops couldn't fix it. It also had a separate water leak (drivers A pillar) that was unrelated to the to the sunroof.The HG was just the last nail in that coffin.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
1,213 Posts
the 2005+ model is really not a drivers car either.....if you think so I could recommend a few other cars that you should test drive
FWD doesn't necessarily mean it cant drive well...drive a FWD Audi

As for the multiple issues..a few things

1. was the car really that unreliable...or was it just beat to heck?
My 02 was actually pretty reliable..in fact ,more so than the 05

2. I cant imagine...as you pointed out...that buying a new car was less expensive than repairing the old one
again , as you said...buying a new car is rarely less expensive than repairing an old one

Warren

·
Registered
2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG
531 Posts
STS is a drivers car compared to fwd audi no doubt.
the main problem for sigma platform - cars are too heavy

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
1,213 Posts
I had a 2000 BMW 7 series before the 05 STS
heavier and larger than the STS and was much more of a drivers car

The 02 STS I owned was clearly not a drivers car...though for some reason GM always tried to spin it as one
Though...at the time( and prior to) I would say the STS was the best driving car that GM offered

Warren

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
He just needs something to bitch about

I don't understand why with his constant complaints about his Seville and his STS why he bothered to buy another Cadillac.

And for the BMW being a better buy and a more drivers car. Sure Ill take that argument.

I had the PLEASURE of working on an 02 745.

Let me list the issues...

Failed VVT module... car ran like dog shit and would bog anytime you got on the throttle more than 15% per the TPS.
The whole infotainment system was NON functional. BMW didn't use a data class system they use a FIBER OPTIC system. One component fails (no matter if its the disc changer the screen the damn radio antenna etc) the WHOLE system goes down... for this they INCLUDE with the purchase a fiber optic loop so you can manually unplug each component plug the loop in and find where the break in the system is... Nice huh?
As for the "drivers" car.. have you used the "shifter". Think new new electronic shifter Chrylser Jeep and Dodge uses with a touch of Toyota Prius in it... then they mount it on the column... real sports car feel there let me tell you....

The Ultimate Driving Machine heh? That was all in the span of a month... he dumped the car for 12k as soon as we got the VVT module replaced. Didn't care he just wanted it GONE.

Oh and before you call the crap this was back in 2010 the car had 14k on the clock owned by a 80 something year old.... Quality built crap IMHO

1 - 20 of 23 Posts