Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS v6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to ask a few questions. I had a rattling noise issue few months ago when mostly when stopping. Took it to the dealer and they told me I was low 2.5 quarts of oil and that caused the timing chain noise issue. They charged $100+ for looking at the vehicle and adding 2.5 quarts. The noise went away

I wanted to know if the vehicle is 2.5 quarts low, out of 6 quarts, can that affect the timing chain? If so, what is the lowest you can go in regards to quarts?

In addition, the bushings for my gear shift link (or something like that) completely disappeared after getting my vehicle back. Whenever I change gears I hear a clicking noise. Can the bushings fall out completely? There is nothing there! I am extremely skeptical of this dealer and won't have them touch my vehicle again!

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
Yes, oil depletion of 40% of the total can very definitely lead to timing chain (Variable Valve Timing) problems due to intermittent loss of oil pressure - as well as serious other internal engine damage.

Get into the habit of performing weekly underhood checks of all fluids and mechanical stuff. Form an idea of oil consumption and NEVER let the oil level fall below the minimum level mark on the dipstick.

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
305 Posts
Like Sub said. Mine doesn't doesn't burn oil to speak of, but it does leak, and at 140k miles I'm just not going pay time or money to take all that stuff apart just to replace gaskets. I can go 300 miles to a quart of oil, but even with full-syn Mobil1, it's a lot cheaper than wrenching. With the high oil filter location I just change the filter every 3k, not the oil. Anyway, got to stay on top of checking the oil, or you'll end up scrapping the whole car.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS v6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, oil depletion of 40% of the total can very definitely lead to timing chain (Variable Valve Timing) problems due to intermittent loss of oil pressure - as well as serious other internal engine damage.

Get into the habit of performing weekly underhood checks of all fluids and mechanical stuff. Form an idea of oil consumption and NEVER let the oil level fall below the minimum level mark on the dipstick.
Thank you very much, Submariner409.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS v6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like Sub said. Mine doesn't doesn't burn oil to speak of, but it does leak, and at 140k miles I'm just not going pay time or money to take all that stuff apart just to replace gaskets. I can go 300 miles to a quart of oil, but even with full-syn Mobil1, it's a lot cheaper than wrenching. With the high oil filter location I just change the filter every 3k, not the oil. Anyway, got to stay on top of checking the oil, or you'll end up scrapping the whole car.
Thanks Glenn! I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V6
436 Posts
As to your shift linkage bushing question, yes, they can be fine one minute and nonexistent the next.

When I changed my oil a couple of months ago, enough of the bushing was there when I put it up on ramps. After I backed down off the ramps I noticed the shifter was sloppy and I had to neutral and back to R for it to go into reverse. Both bushings (the one at the transmission and the one at the shifter) were nonexistent.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS v6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As to your shift linkage bushing question, yes, they can be fine one minute and nonexistent the next.

When I changed my oil a couple of months ago, enough of the bushing was there when I put it up on ramps. After I backed down off the ramps I noticed the shifter was sloppy and I had to neutral and back to R for it to go into reverse. Both bushings (the one at the transmission and the one at the shifter) were nonexistent.
Very interesting! Thank you so much for replying.

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
305 Posts

Interesting, thanks. I'll have to watch for that if my shifter starts to act up.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V6
436 Posts
Doorman makes a bushing kit so you don't have to replace the shift linkage rod.

The one at the transmission is pretty easy to replace. The one on the shifter is a pain.

For bushing at the shifter, I recommend the Bushingfix SR1 KIT

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
305 Posts
Cool bushing kit, but I had to chuckle about their site saying it can be installed in 5-10 minutes. I watched the installation video and it sure went quick for them, except my linkage is different from the one in the video...

...wait for it....

...my linkage has a car around it ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts