Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS V6
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry to bring this up again but for the past 15k miles or so my steering has been making an awful squeaking or squealing noise when turning the wheel left or right and sounds like it is coming from the steering column inside the car. I have been to the dealer 3x now without resolve and was told it was probably something inside the rack and not to worry about it unless the rack fails. Today it started squeaking really bad so I took the car to a local tire shop. They put the car up on a lift and the guy used a stethoscope on the rack while the guy inside the car turned the wheel ....I was told the noise is not coming from the rack that it is something inside the steering column.
I have seen other post here about similar noisy steering problems, but haven't seen a solution....only that some people have had their cars bought back as lemons for this same problem! My car is out of warranty...
Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Banned
2005 Cadillac STS
361 Posts
Same here, no solution. Hasn't done it for the past 1k miles though.

·
Registered
07 STS4 V8 (sold), 2005 STS V6 1SC
217 Posts
My mothers 2005 STS has had this noise in the steering column since she got it (2-3 weeks ago, and it's driving us crazy as well. Especially with the radio off, it's definitely noticeable.

So, we took it to our local Caddy dealership, and they said it's most likely a "collum boot" rubbing, or a "rack input shaft seal".

Also, her car's steering wheel has a tendency to get stuck in the "all the way up" position as well. The tech. thinks that also has something to do with the steering column as well. They said they will have to take the entire column apart to find out what's going on in there. She made an appointment for Monday.

·
Banned
2005 Cadillac STS
361 Posts
My mothers 2005 STS has had this noise in the steering column since she got it (2-3 weeks ago, and it's driving us crazy as well. Especially with the radio off, it's definitely noticeable.

So, we took it to our local Caddy dealership, and they said it's most likely a "collum boot" rubbing, or a "rack input shaft seal".

Also, her car's steering wheel has a tendency to get stuck in the "all the way up" position as well. The tech. thinks that also has something to do with the steering column as well. They said they will have to take the entire column apart to find out what's going on in there. She made an appointment for Monday.
Keep us updated.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, she just got a call back from the dealership today. They said they "reprogrammed" the steering column (to fix the steering wheel being stuck in the "up" position). When she asked about the squeak in the steering column, they said they have to take it for a test drive.

I'll update as soon as I know more.

Also, on a side note, they also replaced the "Start Engine" button on the dash as well, as it was cracked / chipped.

·
Registered
2005 STS V6
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the update MBNV992~ Is your Mom's car still under warranty? My start/stop switch is also chipping. Do you know how much it cost to change it? Thanks again! Traci

·
Registered
217 Posts
Last update:

She just got her car back today. Everything works 100% like new. The seat setting even work now (I started another thread on that, EChas3 should remember that one).

As far as I know, all they did was reprogram the steering column, they gave her a new start button, and they also replaced her right front headlamp (the entire housing), because it had condensation in the lens.

I wish I knew more about how they fixed the squeak in the steering column, but they gave her no invoice, they just handed her the keys and basically said "here you go, all fixed !", and that was that.

If needs be, I'll give them a call tomorrow myself to see exactly what they replaced.

Oh, and her car is under some kind of bumper-bumper warranty, so she paid $0 for all of this work. The memory seat issue was really driving her nuts, but whatever they "reprogrammed", fixed both that, and the squeak.

·
Registered
STS
36 Posts
My 05 was doing the same thing and they replaced the pump and have not heard the noise again. My car was under warranty at the time so I didn't pay anything for it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ok, ANOTHER update here lol

Apparently her car STILL has that squeak in the steering column. She called back the dealer, and apparently they have a brand new column already there waiting to be put in.

Will update further when that is installed.

·
Registered
sts
17 Posts
my car has been doing the squeaking noise in the steering wheel too...i also have been hearing a loud vibration near the odometer when i press the gas

·
Registered
06 Cadillac STS-4
64 Posts
My 06 STS was making that annoying noise too several months ago too, I took it to the dealer and they took the steering assembly out and re-lubricated the bushing in the firewall where the lower steering shaft passes through and it took care of the noise. It's still quiet and it's been almost a year now and it cost me about 75$. I hated that noise!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts