Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a deal on an 05 cts that was misfiring. CEL said I wasn't getting good circuit in injectors 3 and 4. I removed the intake plenum, raised the injector rail and cranked it to see if injectors 3 and 4 weren't squirting. CEL was correct, 3 and 4 weren't spraying. I swapped them with # 1 and 2, cranked it and #3 and 4 were still not spraying. I checked the pulse with noid tool and I wasn't getting pulse at 3 and 4. So this verified that the injectors were good but something electrical was bad. I checked continuity to the ECM plug and it was good. As I kept testing, Injector #1 circuit cel popped up and the car would no longer stay running.

So I went ahead and ordered a programmed ECM from "Roguemotors" on ebay. I threw the new one on and now the car would stay on, but it sounded really bad and got the CEL for Injectors #1 and #2 bad circuit. I returned the ECM and got the replacement today and got the same injectors not firing #1 and #2.

My thoughts are that I received another bad ECM. Because when I throw the ECM the car came with on, it doesn't start at all (i'm guessing due to having 3 injectors not firing). And when I swap to the replacement, it starts but #1 and 2 won't squirt.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
NONE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well which is it a 2005 STS or a 2005 CTS?
Which engine is it V6? V8?
My apologies. STS. I have a cts as well, that's why there is confusion. And it's the 3.6.

I ended up returning the 2nd unit. I heard Autozone sells them for $340 "programmed" as well. So I went to ask and they were clueless, including the store manager. I called a couple dealers to see how much programming costs and got two quotes, $185 and $175, but both claim I need to bring the car in. So I just ordered another used ECM from another vendor w/o programming @ $70 and plan on taking it down to the dealer.

Have any of you gotten your ECM programmed at the dealer without having to take the car? I plan on calling a few other dealers, because I really don't want to have to tow my car over there.

·
Registered
NONE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess you "deal" is not such a good deal after all?
$1400 for a $5000+ car that needs nothing but an ECM is an absolute deal. LOL. The work i've done so far to get this running is nothing for the amount of profit I'll get.

So it is a deal after all.

·
Registered
NONE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to update, I returned the $350 ecm and bought a $70 ecm on ebay with intentions of programming at the dealer. I threw it on there and the security light came on. I followed the procedure to program the ecm to the security from the car and after 30+ mins I had the car running without a problem. Just a heads up to those that need an ecm, don't fall for the people selling a "programmed ecm" for high dollar. Just buy a cheap one and follow the procedure to get passed the security.

So to the ******* ^^^, yes it turned out to be a great deal after all. $1470 for a great running sts is not bad at all.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
1 Posts
Relic - could you please elaborate on the procedure to program the ecm? I have the exact same situation and went as far as replacing all the injectors. I saw another thread for a CTS programming the ecm but it wasn't for a 2005 STS 3.6L.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts