Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SRX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New to the forum and have a problem with the batteries installed in my 2005 SRX. I only have 44 thou on the car,and have been through 4 batteries not all at the same time, but one has lasted 8 mos another 1 year and another 6 mos etc. and keep getting the smell of rotten eggs in the cabin, which means that this battery is about ready to go. The voltage is in within range of 14.3 to 14.6 to 15.2 on one occurrence,and I monitor the voltage as I drive now, and has been 14.2 to 14.6-7 volts for the past 6mos.but I just know its going to go again. 3 of the batteries have been replaced by the dealer and now is out of warrantee, and had to replace with an auto zone battery avenger
model ,in January. Are, or is there a battery that is HD for this vehicle or is something else going on I'm not aware about, This is getting expensive and a heart ache if I have to go somewhere and it doesn't start. Belts have been replaced and maintained has been preformed, but the dealer is $$$. I'm lost as to what to do if I need the car in an emergency. Everything under the hood is clean and fresh looking . Anyone have an idea as what might be going on. I read the forum and haven't had the battery smoke yet but, I don't want to go there. Thank You for any input you's have ,and if I can find a solution , will post my results as to what may or may not be happening. Thank You All .

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Have the generator checked for output, volts and amps. Then check the system for parasitic drain which would draw down the battery.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello
I never thought about the constant drain on the system , although the key is never left in the ignition Note: Alternator is good, so the mech said , but I'll take it to an other mech and give the details.
Thank You Much !!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,529 Posts
Your charging voltages are normal. The charging amperage is what's not ramping down to safe levels and that's what is boiling the batteries long before their time.

Alternator/voltage regulator diagnosis.

Idle vehicle, key out, is not the problem - ALL these cars have about 20 - 35 mA of parasitic drain. That's what keeps all the modules "smart".

Take the car to a local automotive alternator/starter shop, NOT a Cadillac dealer, and explain your situation and my comments.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Do you have any non-OEM equipment installed (e.g. replacement stereo, CD changer etc). Also, do not cheap out on the battery. You need one with sufficient CCA and reserve capacity.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,
I have taken the advise of the replies I have gotten, and took the car to an electrical shop around the corner. Never thought to look right under my nose.
So what seems to have happened is that the alternator is SPAZTIC. I don't even know if that's a word or not, but, no matter how fast the rpms are and how much load is applied, it spikes to the top end of the voltage recommended, and therefore is putting out 17.6 volts at an rampage that is off the scale, he says what his machine is capable of measuring or ?. Non the less, it goes on a rampage, and you cannot know when, or how long the spike's lasts. So He also did an parasitic drain, test on the whole electrical system, and found nothing that appears to cause concern . The volt meter on the console, is an idiot matter of fact, and now will register 14.2 volts with a fluctuation of voltage. roll a window down and it moves turn on headlights and it moves. It's great to have found the problem, before I could have burned the whole electrical system out of the car. Now That's a Pucker moment. Now I have a small problem with the CD player machine gunning when you open the door's and then again when you put the key in, then turn to start. It did this before, and just went away, or fixed itself, after the battery was disconnected ,then connected again. Surprising he did not mention it ,when I picked up the car. Any way, all tolled it was 3 figures short of a nickel.
Happy to have all here on the forum, suggest where in lies the problem. Thank You All for Helping Me. If I find out about the CD player going south, I'll start a
new thread. Again Thanks Guy's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts