Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
05 Cadillac Escalade
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a clone tech 2 to help troubleshoot this code and just ti have on hand. P0455 is evap large leak. Hooked up the scanner but the leak was to large for the system to run the test so I tried opening and closing the vent valve and the purge valve, I noticed I couldnt close the vent valve. I thought that was my problem so I put a new one in and rest only to get the code again. I did replace the gas cap.
Unfortunately I lent out my scanner and it doesn't seem to work now (you know what they say, no good deed goes unpunished) giving a code =

scenlib.c

Anyway, I pulled out the smoke machine and verified the cap was not leaking, the line from the cap to the vent was not leaking, the line to front was not leaking. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV, White Diamond Pearl
342 Posts
On my Tracer I had a P0455 code. I replaced the cap too because it was quick and easy. No joy. I dug deeper and found a dry rotted and cracked rubber hose in the evap system close to the firewall. That is what I would look for.

·
Registered
05 Cadillac Escalade
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a pretty thorough inspection but I'll double check this area. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,131 Posts
There is a carbon filter located above the spare tire. Drop the tire, follow the (smaller) hose from the fuel fill to above the pumpkin.

That filter caused my P0455.

You could try to clean the filter but, AIR it was inexpensive from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
05 Cadillac Escalade
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have already replaced the vent valve but I will check into the filter this weekend. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
05 Cadillac Escalade
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced evap purge solenoid and my issue went away

·
Registered
2004 ESV
550 Posts
I have replaced the 2 parts around the gast tank in 2018. The evap purge solenoid and the charcoal cannister. For the most part, my issue has been fixed. Recently I had the pump click pump click issue. But the last time I filled up, I didn't have any issues. Hopefully it stays that way.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV
32 Posts
Two years ago, one by one I replaced all the parts (fuel cap, charcoal tank, solenoid and purge valve) except the hoses. Also blew out all the hoses trying to fix a P00455 code and unable to add fuel condition (05 ESV). That fixed the code for a couple of months and I could add gas again.

Then it came back. Tighten fuel cap message and CEL with P00544 code, but it took fuel OK.

I removed the purge valve and re-lubed the o ring. Problem solved for a couple weeks bur Cap message/CEL/P0455 is back. Fueling is good.

Is the any trick to lubing/installing the purge valve? Thanks

·
2005 ESV
11 Posts
These leaks are the biggest pain the butt to find. My wife's old caravan had this, and I was just about ready to just drop the fuel tank and replace all the tubing from that that on up....but she kept filling it the day before I wanted to do the work.. ;-)

I never did figure it out, but when I found out it had a rear main leak, suddenly the EVAP leak wasn't such an issue. Fortunately, I WAS able to get the code to go away long enough to get the emissions test done. Then I bought a Caddy and we gave away the minvan.

Glad the OP figured it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts