Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
NONE yet
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

New member here and hopefully owner as well. I'm looking at an '05 ESV for towing a boat (4800lbs + plus gear).

This particular car is very clean up top with 150K miles, but the trailer receiver had quite a bit of rust (pic below). The outer layer of black paint is flaking. How bad does this look?

There's also some brown discoloration on the two middle parking sensors...any ideas what caused that?

IMG_0458-3.JPG IMG_0460-3.JPG

Hi Res image:
http://i.imgur.com/pahYDCb.jpg

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
The rust on the hitch is normal as its not protected like the truck's paint is

The sensors being dis colored could be from the sun or elements

·
Registered
NONE yet
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you determine the extent of the rust damage and if the hitch and weld joints are strong enough to tow?

Thanks

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
They are pretty durable
I paint mine in the warm weather and most times before winter

I wouldn't worry about the weld joints as they are heat treated

I know my uncle had never painted the hitch on his gmc and he towed a trailer trailer with it many times with no problems

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
suge said:
How do you determine the extent of the rust damage and if the hitch and weld joints are strong enough to tow? Thanks
there is a device that can do an ultrasound on metal to check its integrity.. Eventually the rust is gonna compromise the integrity of the hitch, if there is any doubt replace it, its probably cheaper and easier than finding or paying someone with an ultrasound machine, it must snow where you are, my hitch has no rust

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
wesyder said:
there is a device that can do an ultrasound on metal to check its integrity.. Eventually the rust is gonna compromise the integrity of the hitch, if there is any doubt replace it, its probably cheaper and easier than finding or paying someone with an ultrasound machine, it must snow where you are, my hitch has no rust
Yep it's common in areas with snow

I plan on replacing my hitch at some point if needed

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
That bumper looks rigged and maybe he towed a boat and that's from dropping it in the water. My hitch doesn't look anywhere near that and I live in New York. Brown discoloration in paint is most likely from sitting in water. How's the underbody look?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
My bad didn't see the snow in the pics, i tow a boat and my hitch doesn't get wet, but i have seen when people try to launch off the shore and the water is almost running inside the truck because its not that steep of a grade

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
^ same here

My dad had a old pickup we used to tow our boat and I have seen him get it in to almost where the gas door would be within a few inches of being in the water

----------

Also is it just me or does the bumper look like its hit something????
I didn't notice it when I first looked at the pics but after taking a second look it looks like the bumper has a spot of paint missing

----------

Also it's pushed onto the hitch(note the plastic above the hitch)

----------

It looks as if the bumper has been pushed in either by backing into something or getting hit by a rear ending

·
Registered
NONE yet
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a one owner and was driven in Medfield, MA. Some rust underneath, nothing major that I could see. Clean carfax. I was trying to figure out what happened to the bumper...it's pushed under, near the receiver. No cracks. Maybe they were backing up to a trailer and hit the bumper.

I was also looking at a one owner '04 that is really clean underneath, 120K miles, but had minor front damage reported years ago on carfax. No signs of major repair, felt solid on the test drive.
This dealer will allow me to bring it to MD for inspection prior to purchase.

·
Registered
NONE yet
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was backed into something big...I noticed the rear wiper mount is slightly dented in.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
suge said:
It was backed into something big...I noticed the rear wiper mount is slightly dented in.
Had to be a pole
My guess they had the back up sensors turned off and didn't realize they backed into the pole till it was too late

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Maybe some other obstacle since the bumper sits out past the rear wiper

1 - 15 of 15 Posts