Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade 6.0 V8 AWD
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

During startup if I press break pedal, it kicks back real hard.
Also during panic breaking it kicks back.
Any ideas and solutions?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,328 Posts
That's new.:unsure:

I am also curious to what causes the brake pedal to kick back. Air in the brake lines usually give a very soft pedal with little resistance.

It sounds like an ABS issue for sure.

Reactions: ardacavdar

·
Registered
Currently own a 2006 STS V-6 DI with a little over 200K miles.
1 Posts
It is normal. The difference between the brakes on this vehicle as opposed to most others you drive is that instead of using vacuum assist for the 'power brakes' it uses hydraulic assist. The primary difference you will feel is the 'kick back' when you start the engine because as soon as the power steering pump starts turning (that's where the hydraulic boost is coming from) it puts the activates the whole brake system, including the brake pedal, to a normal working mode. In other words, the system puts the brake pedal back where it should be immediately where vacuum does it gradually as the vacuum builds within the engine.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,328 Posts
It is normal. The difference between the brakes on this vehicle as opposed to most others you drive is that instead of using vacuum assist for the 'power brakes' it uses hydraulic assist. The primary difference you will feel is the 'kick back' when you start the engine because as soon as the power steering pump starts turning (that's where the hydraulic boost is coming from) it puts the activates the whole brake system, including the brake pedal, to a normal working mode. In other words, the system puts the brake pedal back where it should be immediately where vacuum does it gradually as the vacuum builds within the engine.
My 2006 Caddy has a stiff or firm brake pedal feel at start-up. It does not "kickback" ever.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stopped pushing break pedal during start up as it's not necessary like younger vehicles.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
814 Posts
Mine does that too. Makes a clunk sound when I start up the car, especially if I haven't driven it in a few days. If I press the brake pedal in while cranking, I can feel the clunk in the pedal.

But squeaks, rattles, and other unknown noises are just part of the GM cost cutting experience that was so prevalent in the 80s, 90s, and 00s

·
Registered
02' EXT
241 Posts
Sounds like air in the line. The kick back you feel is probably where the brake should be when properly serviced. These vehicles require more than just a simple brake bleed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Sounds like air in the line. The kick back you feel is probably where the brake should be when properly serviced. These vehicles require more than just a simple brake bleed.

Agreed. I had to use my Tech 2 tool to bleed the ABS unit when I bled out the old fluid. My brakes pedal is fairly normal I suppose. It only firm up if I pump the brakes until it is very stiff, but does not move or jump at start up that I noticed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Agreed. I had to use my Tech 2 tool to bleed the ABS unit when I bled out the old fluid. My brakes pedal is fairly normal I suppose. It only firm up if I pump the brakes until it is very stiff, but does not move or jump at start up that I noticed.

Is there YouTube video you can suggest for that proper bleeding?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
You bleed the brakes as normal using a bleeder starting from the outer most rear right passage side working your way to the driver left side closest to the brake reservoir. Then, you use a scan tool with the GM ABS bleeding function( I used the Tech 2) to remove possible air in the ABS unit. I also used the same Motive bleeder unit as this guy in the video. Worked perfectly for single person brake bleeding. Different truck but same process.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
No problem. I must correct that I guess you should bleed the ABS first with a scan tool and then bleed the system. However, it seems that you may not have to bleed the ABS unless you have an actual issue with it or done work upstream of it like the brake booster.

I bled my ABS after my brake bleed and it worked out due to the ABS system not having any air in the lines I guess. Next time , I will bleed the ABS first.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem. I must correct that I guess you should bleed the ABS first with a scan tool and then bleed the system. However, it seems that you may not have to bleed the ABS unless you have an actual issue with it or done work upstream of it like the brake booster.

I bled my ABS after my brake bleed and it worked out due to the ABS system not having any air in the lines I guess. Next time , I will bleed the ABS first.
I guess I should bleed the ABS first.
Also I have an issue with the speed sensor.
I think it's that common issue of rust on the socket.
I need a detailed work on my break system.

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,162 Posts
Sensor rust repair

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sensor rust repair

Thank you so much...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't have time to work on breaks this weekend and also I don't have a Tech2 so I guess I'll try the old fashioned way.
I think the system having air in it makes sense but working principle of hydro boost is also an acceptable explanation.
After completing the procedure I'll let you know if any changes occur.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I was wrong about the brake pedal not kicking in my 2006. Today I noticed that it does firm up when hard braking and at start up if my foot is on the pedal. It does not really kick hard, but it does "firm up" quite a bit during hard braking and it does firm up slightly at start up, so I guess that pedal kickback is a normal operation in the brake system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was wrong about the brake pedal not kicking in my 2006. Today I noticed that it does firm up when hard braking and at start up if my foot is on the pedal. It does not really kick hard, but it does "firm up" quite a bit during hard braking and it does firm up slightly at start up, so I guess that pedal kickback is a normal operation in the brake system.
Didn't have a chance to look at my vehicle last weekend but I am looking forward to.
Will tell if I notice any difference

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello everyone,

During startup if I press break pedal, it kicks back real hard.
Also during panic breaking it kicks back.
Any ideas and solutions?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
When you feel the vibration and push back from your brake pedal it means your wheels are locking up and the abs is taking over and rapidly reducing and reapplying brake force to prevent them from staying locked up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts