Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching the web for instructions on removing my vcim, to no avail. I have found a few pages describing other cars but I would like to find the VCIM location to my car specifically, I don't want it in my car. I bought this car used and am against big brother tracking me. I also want to replace the radio/nav with pioneer avic z2, so I was thinking while I am tinkering with the wiring I might as well remove the OnStar while I'm at it. any help??

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The VCIM is located behind the rear seat on the passenger's side.
You can access it by removing the seat or by removing the "electronics bay" from inside the trunk.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ewill, I am going to try to find that later on in the day. is there any special tools or technique i should know about before I pull stuff out. Also I see you are a tech, if I may ask you, the wiring harness from the original will have to be played with to install the z2, is there any schematics available on the web anywhere?

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
If you're going to get that deep into it, spring the $ for a factory service manual or be prepared to spend hours :rant2: or :hmm:

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
....replace the radio/nav with pioneer avic z2, so I was thinking while I am tinkering with the wiring I might as well remove the OnStar while I'm at it. any help??
The OnStar system is not terribly bad as far as overpriced communications is concerned. The voice recognition system needs some work however.

If you are inclined to tinker, you might discover it is possible to retain your OnStar hardware, disable the cell phone operation (use a 50 Ohm dummy load for an antenna?), and rig up a data connection to the GPS portion of the system.

It could be a challenge since the phone transceiver, the voice recognition, and the GPS receiver are all in one box integrated into the vehicle's "entertainment" system.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Just don't yank anything, you can tear some wiring up back there.
The module pretty much just plugs in. As a matter of fact if you access the unit by removing the back seat (somewhat of a challenge) you can just undo the locking connector at the base of the bracket. Squeeze the tabs and lift the lever and you are done.
If you want to physically remove the module you can.
I usually do this by removing the 3 nuts on the bracket from inside the trunk but it can be hard to pull the bracket back for access with all the stuff plugged in.

I agree that access to a FSM would be good, I don't know much about the other modification you speak of.
You can get access through AC Delco or buy paper manuals from Helm Inc.
There are other sources for schematics like alldata, but they are not as easy to use or as thorough as the Factory manuals.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, now I am f'ed! I got the bottom seat off but how in the hell do I remove the top part? I tried to lift it enough to see if there were screws/bolts, I would very much like to have the manual you guys are talking about, where can I find one, the dealer? NAPA? E-bay? have anyone ever taken the top seat off before? can you explain? I don't want to bend anything out of shape

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Remove the two anchor bolts for the seat belt buckles, then comes the hard part.
Behind the seat are 4 spring clips, you have to locate them.
They are symmetrical accross the back, two on each side.
One pair is a couple inches inboard from each retractor, the others are about 6 or 8 inches from the center of the seat back.
Using a long flat bladed tool you have to get behind the flat part and push straight down. As it releases pull forward a bit and you'll know when it disengages. You have to release all 4 to get the seat back out.
Then lean it forward. Be warned if you have a release cable for the center door in the back seat in the trunk, you need to disconnect that too or it might break.

Let me know if you get it or if you need more help.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey ewill! I got a new Q? for you, My wife has my old 2000 Deville, and while we were at the shore this week her battery has drained, now it has happened once or twice before so i didn't trip over I just pulled out my cables and ready to give her a jump, as I tried to crank it, I noticed the display read "theft attempted" So I figured it was ok, (we lost the fob a looooong time ago) I went to start it and I heard this "tick...tick...tick.." but it didn't sound as if the starter was engaging, now I'm trippin' cause this is new, and I think I have a "kill switch" issue, The car isn't something I want to throw a whole bunch of money at, but at the same time it was running fine before the battery drained, what do you think it might be? could I try?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Do you have any aftermarket stuff on there?
Did you replace the battery I guess?
Is the theft message gone?
Was the tick in the dash or under the hood?

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, on the 2000 deville we had replaced the factory radio with pioneer avic d2 navigation system. I never had a problem with that. The battery has been replaced before about a year ago. The battery draining started about 4 months ago when the windows/locks/mirrors weren't working on the drivers side, I had investigated and found the circuit breaker under the seat, when I removed the circuit breaker, I had "jump" it with a piece of wire to see if the trouble was there, sho' nuff the windows/locks/mirrors were working so I left the "jumper" wire there until I found the right one, I never found an exact match, so I left the wire there for about a week, that's when the battery was drained, so i figured that because it wasn't a fuse, the circuit must open thus not draining power from the battery, so I went to NAPA to find the circuit breaker but they didn't have an exact match, but sold me another one (I figured the theory is the same) I installed the other CB then it was cool, for a little while but the battery would drain every now and then, but this time when I jumped the car for her it didn't go. and that theft detected message appeared, the last time I tried to jump it I didn't notice the messages as I was under my hood hooking up the cables. The ticking sounded like it was under the hood like maybe the starter, but the starter wouldn't "crank" a neighbor suggested my starter is gone but I don't want that to be true. what do you think?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts