Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Deville Base model
TPMS has been working correctly until I broke a valve stem off. Had to replace broken one with rubber stem due to cost issues. (Discount Tire wanted $60 for one. RockAuto was considerably cheaper.)
Bought 4 new TPMS from RockAuto. Didn't get AC/Delco, got Standard brand.
Went to Discount Tire to have them installed and balance tires.
They could not get them to be recognized by the vehicle. They tried; using their tool that looks like a scan tool (might even be a scan tool), a magnet, letting air out of the tire. All to no avail.
And, yes they seemed to be putting the car in relearn by turning ignition to on and holding the lock and un-lock buttons simultaneously until horn sounded.
After 45 minutes we gave up. I was watching, the only thing that I did notice was when going into relearn, the horn would honk once, but it did NOT give any indication that the car was in relearn on the DIC.
After contemplating this overnight, I tried to go into relearn again this morning. This time I double checked to make sure the tire monitor was turned on in the DIC, set the e-brake, held the lock & unlock simultaneously until horn sounds. No indication of relearn on DIC. I even tried holding the buttons till the horn sounded and then held the buttons again. Nothing happened, no horn or indication.
Also, there were no relevant codes.
The relearn process was successfully done 9 or 10 months ago when I got new tires in Oklahoma, can't go try that shop, I'm in Arizona.
Does anyone have a clue as to what has been missed, here?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,726 Posts
2005 Deville Base model
TPMS has been working correctly until I broke a valve stem off. Had to replace broken one with rubber stem due to cost issues. (Discount Tire wanted $60 for one. RockAuto was considerably cheaper.)
Bought 4 new TPMS from RockAuto. Didn't get AC/Delco, got Standard brand.
Went to Discount Tire to have them installed and balance tires.
They could not get them to be recognized by the vehicle. They tried; using their tool that looks like a scan tool (might even be a scan tool), a magnet, letting air out of the tire. All to no avail.
And, yes they seemed to be putting the car in relearn by turning ignition to on and holding the lock and un-lock buttons simultaneously until horn sounded.
After 45 minutes we gave up. I was watching, the only thing that I did notice was when going into relearn, the horn would honk once, but it did NOT give any indication that the car was in relearn on the DIC.
After contemplating this overnight, I tried to go into relearn again this morning. This time I double checked to make sure the tire monitor was turned on in the DIC, set the e-brake, held the lock & unlock simultaneously until horn sounds. No indication of relearn on DIC. I even tried holding the buttons till the horn sounded and then held the buttons again. Nothing happened, no horn or indication.
Also, there were no relevant codes.
The relearn process was successfully done 9 or 10 months ago when I got new tires in Oklahoma, can't go try that shop, I'm in Arizona.
Does anyone have a clue as to what has been missed, here?
=========================
Hi Jake -
so - we'll assume that you got the correct - 315 MHz frequency sensors -
STANDARD TPM41

OK - so it does NOT sound like you are having a problem getting into the relearn/programming state -
the issue seems to be getting the monitors to "wake up" - then respond -

here is what I would do -
1) disconnect the battery cables and touch them together for 30 seconds -
this might clear any module/memory issues -

2) go to Home Depot and buy this 2-pack of donut magnets - $2.50 -
I have had 100% success using these magnets -

3) take the car for a 15-minute ride - at highway speeds -
this should "wake up" the TPM sensors -

4) try the re-learn process - starting with the LF - LR - RR - RF -
you need to wait for the BEEP as each sensor is activated -
if all goes well - you'll get 2 BEEPS when the RF is done -

if this doesn't work -
try starting with any of the other wheels just to see if ANY of them react properly -

if that still doesn't work - get these sensors - I KNOW they work -
$39 for a set of 4 - with free shipping -

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bass. Does the DIC not indicate when you're in relearn? I'll try all this tomorrow, wife's got the car. Hope I don't hafta buy more sensors.

·
20,726 Posts
Thanks, Bass. Does the DIC not indicate when you're in relearn? I'll try all this tomorrow, wife's got the car. Hope I don't hafta buy more sensors.
=======================
Does the DIC not indicate when you're in relearn?
YES -
the DIC does NOT indicate when you're in relearn -

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:
I tried touching the + & - cables together for 30 seconds, took a long drive, got the magnet from Home Depot. No change. System will not relearn the new sensors. I forgot about trying any of the other tires to see if any would work. Car is in the shop getting some unrelated issues resolved. I'll try the other tires after I get it back. When cycling through the DIC, three of the sensors show "0 psi" one shows "36 psi". I tried all the sensors. The one that showed pressure was the only one that made the horn sound. At this point I am assuming I have three of the four new sensors with dead batteries. I have an appointment at the local GM dealer tomorrow to see if they will have any luck relearning. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
Went to GM dealer, they did relearn with a handheld tool. Only one of the new, installed sensors would sound the horn. When I got home I retried the relearn procedure again, only this time I put the car in relearn, used the Home Depot magnet and put it on the one new sensor, horn sounded, put it on the three old sensors that came out of the car and they all sounded the horn, with the fourth one sounding the horn twice. There is nothing wrong with my cars system. Discount tire threw out the boxes for the new sensors, so now I'm talking with Rockauto to try to get them to accept the sensors without the factory packaging. Again, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2004 DeVille Base Sedan
94 Posts
=========================
Hi Jake -
so - we'll assume that you got the correct - 315 MHz frequency sensors -
STANDARD TPM41

OK - so it does NOT sound like you are having a problem getting into the relearn/programming state -
the issue seems to be getting the monitors to "wake up" - then respond -

here is what I would do -
1) disconnect the battery cables and touch them together for 30 seconds -
this might clear any module/memory issues -

2) go to Home Depot and buy this 2-pack of donut magnets - $2.50 -
I have had 100% success using these magnets -

3) take the car for a 15-minute ride - at highway speeds -
this should "wake up" the TPM sensors -

4) try the re-learn process - starting with the LF - LR - RR - RF -
you need to wait for the BEEP as each sensor is activated -
if all goes well - you'll get 2 BEEPS when the RF is done -

if this doesn't work -
try starting with any of the other wheels just to see if ANY of them react properly -

if that still doesn't work - get these sensors - I KNOW they work -
$39 for a set of 4 - with free shipping -
Bass your the Man was just getting ready to post but you answered my question Great Info Thanks

·
20,726 Posts
Bass your the Man was just getting ready to post but you answered my question Great Info Thanks
====================
my pleasure - that's why we're here

·
Registered
2004 DeVille Base Sedan
94 Posts
====================
Hey Bass 04 DeVille Base. What is the procedure using the magnet is it different from letting air out. I ordered the tpms pods you recommended and ordered the magnets great deal Brother

·
20,726 Posts
Hey Bass 04 DeVille Base. What is the procedure using the magnet is it different from letting air out. I ordered the tpms pods you recommended and ordered the magnets great deal Brother
=====================
the sensors must "wake up" to match them with the car -

SOMETIMES the magnet itself is enough to wake up the sensors -

other times it takes a quick highway-speed run -

I've never dinked around deflating the tires -

·
Registered
2004 DeVille Base Sedan
94 Posts
=====================
the sensors must "wake up" to match them with the car -

SOMETIMES the magnet itself is enough to wake up the sensors -

other times it takes a quick highway-speed run -

I've never dinked around deflating the tires -
ok thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,954 Posts
I think letting air out is the procedure for next generation. Not sure if it would work on these. It does on my 2010 DTS.

·
Registered
2004 DeVille Base Sedan
94 Posts
====================
ok thanks
Hey Bass I ordered the 4 TPMS Modules you recommended and purchased the magnet from home depot had the 2 front ones replaced today the 2 rear sensors are Cadillac factory and where working after i pressed the lock and unlock the car beeped i went out and set the magnet on the left front tire no beep then right front no beep went to the pass rear it beeped and driver rear and it beeped but i cannot get the 2 new front sensors to beep and be recognized by the system now the DIC display said service TPMS and no pressures are indicated i also reset the all the codes. any help would be appreciated Thanks
Tpms1.jpg
Tpms3.jpg

·
Registered
2004 DeVille Base Sedan
94 Posts
I also did the 75Mph 20 min ride then immediately tried to reset and no go. I guess tomorrow Ill try the battery Disconnect like you mentioned thanks
I also disconnected the battery and held pos and neg together 45 sec still will not detect sensor but both the back oem sensors will chirp the horn but wont register on dic see attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts