Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 Deville Base. Just had new Munroe Quickstruts installed by mechanic 2 weeks ago. Also had L outer tie rod end replaced. Now I hear an increasingly loud rattle that seems to come from the tops of the struts mostly when driving slowly down are our very rough back lane. Front end is a bit high 29 inches ground to wheel arch. Going over sharp bumps on the road at city speeds I feel more impact harshness. Were the struts installed wrong? The stabilizer bar end liks look OK.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
I'd take it back to him and have him check his work. As a quick check, take a look at the strut mount bolts and strut rod bolt under the hood.

As for harshness, a new damper is always going to be stiffer than an old one.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
33 Posts
Maybe also check the plastic splash shields in the wheel well - I had a rattle on the driver's side going over anything that wasn't extremely smooth road. Turned out the lower shield had warped slightly and was rattling against the overlapped top one. Couple of holes and splash shield retainers from Autozone joining them, all gone.

Found it by slamming the door once parked.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
Sounds pretty normal for Monroe in my experience. Monroe is a budget/price point/cheap part. They are often a compromise. Still have him recheck torque on everything he removed. But, I replaced enough Monroes under warranty when I worked for other people that when I opened my own shop I flat out refuse to install them. They aren't trouble all the time but they are trouble often enough that it isn't worth the aggravation and the bad taste it would put in my customers' mouths. Given that you have a base Deville factory ACDelco's can be had very affordably and will of course ride as well as the old ones did.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,523 Posts
The upper strut bearing in these cars can be a source of grunts and rattles. Were they replaced with the strut job ? Not expensive.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
RussellBoulding said:
Sounds pretty normal for Monroe in my experience. Monroe is a budget/price point/cheap part. They are often a compromise. Still have him recheck torque on everything he removed. But, I replaced enough Monroes under warranty when I worked for other people that when I opened my own shop I flat out refuse to install them. They aren't trouble all the time but they are trouble often enough that it isn't worth the aggravation and the bad taste it would put in my customers' mouths. Given that you have a base Deville factory ACDelco's can be had very affordably and will of course ride as well as the old ones did.
many people would disagree on the quality of Monroe parts.

FWIW, the AC Delco replacements for these cars are not AC Delco. They're relabeled Gabriel hijackers.

·
Registered
2003 deville
604 Posts
I've had a few sets of Monroe sensatracs and every time them soften up after not much driving. I thought I remember on here swing posts about the quick struts having taller springs like the DTS 06+ have.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
many people would disagree on the quality of Monroe parts.

FWIW, the AC Delco replacements for these cars are not AC Delco. They're relabeled Gabriel hijackers.
I'd say Monroe works correctly when initially installed at least 95% of the time not counting the stiffness. And would make it past my 3 year/36k mile warrant roughly 85-90% of the time. that is how I remember it from when I used to install them. Which in the scheme of things isn't so bad. And, for most DIYs that only install 1-2 sets in their life this percentage means most won't ever notice an issue. With ACDelco/Gabriel the out of the box success rate is practically 100% and the warranty rate is consistently under 2%. Its a little different when you charge for your work and warranty it. You start to notice the percents or you piss customers off and lose money. I'd say most people that install Monroe are likely to have a satisfactory experience. But, when I hear that they are installed there is harshness or noise, I'm not the least bit surprised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts