Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE STORY & PROBLEM:
Alright, I hope I'm doing this right, and won't be breaking any community rules- this is the first time I'm posting, and I am a fairly new DeVille owner who truly needs some guidance right now..

So a month ago, I had been taking care of things, that had me driving the DeVille for about a 45-60 min. period of constant driving. That whole time the car ran beautifully, no warning signs or event that explained everything that came next..
Suddenly while traveling home. Late night, no traffic, smooth hwy road. Bam!! Check Engine Light starts flashing. Immediate noticeable loss of power, as well as a heavy smell of fuel.. The rest the ride to my home, I was forced to never come to a stop, or even much slow down at all. The moment i attempted to slow/stop, loss of power was clear, and if i were to keep trying to stop, i knew it would stall and kill.
Eventually I made it home, come the next morning I went to assess the situation. And the only way that I could get her to stay on, was to press on the gas pedal.. soon as releasing, quick power down, stall out, OFF.

THE CODES:
▪︎p0106 ▪︎p0121 ▪︎p0300
▪︎p0353 ▪︎p0420 ▪︎p0507
▪︎p0741 ▪︎p0520 ▪︎p0856
▪︎p1381

PLZ SOMEONE-ANYONE, GUIDE THIS POOR, UNKNOWING, MAN OUT-I KNOW BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF CAR TUNE UPS AND MAINTENANCE.. BUT I NEED TO SOMEHOW FIGURE THIS MESS OUT, THEN GET TO FIXING IT FASTER THAN I'LL BE TRYING TO READ HOW TO FIX IT.
THANKS ALL IN ADVANCE!!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,076 Posts
And the only way that I could get her to stay on, was to press on the gas pedal.. soon as releasing, quick power down, stall out,
Might try a good TB cleaning.

P.S.
Codes are just numbers without their definitions. No one has them all memorized.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,658 Posts
THE STORY & PROBLEM:
Alright, I hope I'm doing this right, and won't be breaking any community rules- this is the first time I'm posting, and I am a fairly new DeVille owner who truly needs some guidance right now..

So a month ago, I had been taking care of things, that had me driving the DeVille for about a 45-60 min. period of constant driving. That whole time the car ran beautifully, no warning signs or event that explained everything that came next..
Suddenly while traveling home. Late night, no traffic, smooth hwy road. Bam!! Check Engine Light starts flashing. Immediate noticeable loss of power, as well as a heavy smell of fuel.. The rest the ride to my home, I was forced to never come to a stop, or even much slow down at all. The moment i attempted to slow/stop, loss of power was clear, and if i were to keep trying to stop, i knew it would stall and kill.
Eventually I made it home, come the next morning I went to assess the situation. And the only way that I could get her to stay on, was to press on the gas pedal.. soon as releasing, quick power down, stall out, OFF.

THE CODES:
▪︎p0106 ▪︎p0121 ▪︎p0300
▪︎p0353 ▪︎p0420 ▪︎p0507
▪︎p0741 ▪︎p0520 ▪︎p0856
▪︎p1381

PLZ SOMEONE-ANYONE, GUIDE THIS POOR, UNKNOWING, MAN OUT-I KNOW BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF CAR TUNE UPS AND MAINTENANCE.. BUT I NEED TO SOMEHOW FIGURE THIS MESS OUT, THEN GET TO FIXING IT FASTER THAN I'LL BE TRYING TO READ HOW TO FIX IT.
THANKS ALL IN ADVANCE!!
==================
codes are meaningless without their DEFINITIONS -
and no one has them all memorized -

go here for the best list of Cadillac code definitions -

also include whether the codes are C-Current or H-History -

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
1,061 Posts
First thought that comes to mind is a throttle position sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, i had brought it to a shop to run diagnostic and get an estimate. And well, the shop called me and told me that the codes being thrown were pertaining to "?Reprogramming?" And that was out of there wheelhouse...didn't charge me a dollar for diag., and this was the paper i was given for the codes popping up.... I kinda just figured that they probably didn't wanna have to mess around on a Northstar.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,035 Posts
So, i had brought it to a shop to run diagnostic and get an estimate. And well, the shop called me and told me that the codes being thrown were pertaining to "?Reprogramming?" And that was out of there wheelhouse...didn't charge me a dollar for diag., and this was the paper i was given for the codes popping up.... I kinda just figured that they probably didn't wanna have to mess around on a Northstar.
View attachment 583880
welcome to the forums. You don't need a shop to scan for codes. your car has a built in scanner. Go back and read post #3

·
19,658 Posts
you should start over and do this yourself -

STEP #1 - ALWAYS - check for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes - using the on-board scanner -
if you don't know how - go here -

post any codes you have -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

include whether they are C-Current or H-History -

for code definitions - go here -

here is a how-to video -

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
B1586-C-mirror horizontal position sensor out of range
B0429-C-Temp control 3 rear circut
B1327-H-Device power circut low
B1845-C-driver lumbar down switch ckt malf
B1860-C-Driver lumbar vert sensor ckt malf
P0300-C-Engine Misfire detc
B0100-C-front end sensor 1 performance
B1591-C-mirror vert. Pos sensor out of range

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you should start over and do this yourself -

STEP #1 - ALWAYS - check for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes - using the on-board scanner -
if you don't know how - go here -

post any codes you have -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

include whether they are C-Current or H-History -

for code definitions - go here -

here is a how-to video -

·
19,658 Posts
========================
hmmmmm - VERY INTERESTING -

THAT list is QUITE different than the list the "mechanic" came up with -

----------------------

P0300 is a generic misfire code -
our on-board scanners will not display WHICH cylinder is misfiring -
although that information IS stored in the computer -

take the car to any big auto parts store and ask them to check the codes -
P0301 is a misfire in cylinder #1 - P0302 is cylinder #2 - P0303 is for cylinder #3 - etc-

once you discover WHICH cylinder is misfiring -
diagnosis is MUCH easier -

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
956 Posts
On the paper list, manifold pressure and tps would be the items I would focus on. The others are likely secondary symptoms. (Ie TPS signal wrong, engine compensated with extra fuel that might have caused misfire, idle problems etc)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts