Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a great site. I've been reading a lot of the posts and find it very friendly and informative. I'm glad to be a member here. Perhaps somebody can help me.

I have an '05 DeVille I purchased new last May and now have 7500 miles on the ODO.

There seems to be a problem with the brakes. Especially in the morning (cold) when coming to a stop at the end of my street the brake pedal needs to be depressed almost to the floorboard. The brakes almost seem non-existant. I know that depressing the brake pedal that far is not good for the master cylinder.

Tried the old drive reverse and hit the brakes routine, no difference.

Took it to the dealer and they claim there's nothing wrong. :ill:

My instinct tells me otherwise.

Are there any TSB's or re-calls that anyone may be aware of or maybe a site where I can run the VIN to see if there are any recalls?

TIA for any help.

CCC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes. They test drove it and said nothing is wrong. Doesn't make any sense that the brakes could be that low and nothing is wrong. I doubt the car would stop quickly if I needed to brake from highway speed in an emergency situation.
The brake pedal goes to about 1/2" off the floorboard and will come way up it's pumped. Notified the tech and svc mgr and they both suggested doing the same. But c'mon this isn't a '52 Dodge.
Has anybody experienced this?
Any techs out there?
Thanks in advance.
CCC

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
If the pedal comes up by pumping it, there is air in the system. Any backyard mechanic knows that. I'd take it to another GM dealer.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Deville, 2004 Cadillac DTS, 2011 CTS AWD Coupe
331 Posts
...Well if I pump it when the car is off and it comes up- does that mean anything?

·
Registered
927 Posts
when the car is off and your pumping it and the pedal gets firmer and firmer that means its holding air which is normal when the car is off.

but if your car is on and the pedal goes down easily but the car doesnt brake as it should then there could either be air in the brake lines or you could even be losing brake fluid

Most likely take it to them and tell them you want your brake system bleed.

Other possible causes could be a leaking brake booster but usually youll hear a whooshing sound when its leaking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are no oil spots on the floor of the garage so I'm pretty sure it's not leaking any fluid.

I know that having the pedal drop to the floor isn't good for the seals in the master cylinder either. I'm just wondering if there could be other incidental damage that may have been caused by this.

Thanks.

CCC

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
If the pedal slowly sinks to the floor and you can pump it up, then sinks again, and there are no leaks, that is a sign of a bad seal in the master cylinder. That said, it is not very likely in a car that new with low miles but, stranger things have happened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts