Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2005 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the search function but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. All exterior lights still work the speedometer works but all of the other gauges have just blanked out and quit working hopefully somebody has a good reason why this has happened please.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,659 Posts
I tried the search function but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. All exterior lights still work the speedometer works but all of the other gauges have just blanked out and quit working hopefully somebody has a good reason why this has happened please.
=====================
try the DISPLAY MODE button -
the center button - on the 3-button pod - to the LEFT of the steering wheel

·
2005 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so the car has been shut off for about 20 minutes and I restarted it and now everything is fine. Any clues? Is it something that's going to continue to pop up or is it indicative of a larger problem to come?

·
19,659 Posts
Okay so the car has been shut off for about 20 minutes and I restarted it and now everything is fine. Any clues? Is it something that's going to continue to pop up or is it indicative of a larger problem to come?
=====================
did you TRY the display mode button?

·
2005 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. I just started it after it had sat for about 20 minutes and it was back to normal? What should I look out for? I'm a former Mercury Grand Marquis guy this my first Cadillac had it for a week. Not embarrassed to say I don't know much about them I've never had one.

·
19,659 Posts
No. I just started it after it had sat for about 20 minutes and it was back to normal? What should I look out for? I'm a former Mercury Grand Marquis guy this my first Cadillac had it for a week. Not embarrassed to say I don't know much about them I've never had one.
======================
well - you could have tried pressing the DISPLAY MODE button like I suggested -
then you would have discovered that this button gives a couple of instrument cluster display options -
and YOU wouldn't have needed to worry about future happenings - or writing THIS post -
and I wouldn't have had to type out this explanation -

if you press it - EVERYTHING - except the speed - is turned off -
and THAT is probably what you accidentally did -

and to answer your NEXT question -
WHY did it go back to "normal" when you shut the car off for 20 minutes -
because THAT is how the MEMORY / PERSONALIZATION system is set up on your car -
it reverts to the SAVED settings - which in this case - is full dash display -

====================

you might consider reading the Owners Manual - cover-to-cover - TWICE -
there are a LOT of secrete things these cars can do -

if you don't have the OM - go here for a free download -

=====================

CAUTION - WHATEVER YOU DO -
DO NOT PRESS THE HIDDEN GREEN BUTTON ON THE DASH -

·
2005 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After it returned to normal I had to leave to go take care of some stuff and I haven't been back to the car yet and won't be until tomorrow. I will check out the mode display button and I will definitely download the owner's manual thank you very much for your help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
44 Posts
Basscatt, don't take this wrong, I love your knowledge and willingness to help. But I have to wonder, do you have any kids over the age of 15 that still speak to you? your patience suggests No. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

·
19,659 Posts
Basscatt, don't take this wrong, I love your knowledge and willingness to help. But I have to wonder, do you have any kids over the age of 15 that still speak to you? your patience suggests No. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
=======================
do you have any kids over the age of 15 that still speak to you?
actually NO -
my wife and twins were all killed by a drunk driver 43 years ago - thanks for asking -

--------------------

and - I have the patience of a Saint -

regarding this particular thread -

the OP asked about a cluster display issue -
I was 99.999% positive that I knew exactly what the issue was -
he inadvertently hit the DISPLAY button -
hence my response in post #2 -

post #3 the OP asked if anyone had a clue as to what might have happened -

I responded - post #4 - asking if he TRIED pressing the DISPLAY button -
which would have taken about 2 SECONDS -

the response - post #5 - was NO - he didn't try pressing the button -
and - What should I look out for? -

I thought my response - post #6 - was SPOT-ON -

I LOVE helping people - I HATE wasting my time -

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
44 Posts
The second I posted that response I knew it was the wrong thing to do. I'm truly sorry for your loss, and I apologize for bringing up what I can only imagine is a terrible memory. Please forgive me.
And as for having our time wasted, I'm right there with you. Have a good weekend.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,037 Posts
The second I posted that response I knew it was the wrong thing to do. I'm truly sorry for your loss, and I apologize for bringing up what I can only imagine is a terrible memory. Please forgive me.
And as for having our time wasted, I'm right there with you. Have a good weekend.
Jake, Basscatt is like Shrek and onions. They have layers and you have to peel them little at a time. True, he doesn't have much patience for members who ignore suggestions, but if I ever have a serious or minor issue with my Deville, he's the go-to guy. Master of the dark art of diagnostics, indeed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts