Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 2005 CTS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 CTS that does not have factory XM. I want to install a USA Spec PA11-Vette iPod adapter. Does anyone know of a harness that is available that will connect to the factory stereo at C1 and C3 and have the 16 pin male XM module connector on the other end? If there is no harness out there I would like to make my own. I have all of the information I need except for the pinouts on the XM module and the type of connector used. A wiring diagram of the factory XM module would be helpful as well. I believe that this will allow me to connect most iPod adapters to my car because many of the adapters list at least 1 application for a vehicle without a factory XM module. The USA Spec adapter has a harness available for a Vette that does not have factory XM. Here is a link to install a factory style XM module in a CTS. http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/xminstall/index.html

Here is a link to a wiring diagram for the stereo.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/wiring.pdf

I have attached a the pinouts for the CTS stereo connectors and a picture of the back of a CTS stereo connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac 2005 CTS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can someone tell me the wire color for each pin of the factory XM harness? Pinout or wire schematic would be best but this would get me started.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2005 CTS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this would be awesome info to make ur own harness!! no need for splicing
It is the cleanest way to go. Without seeing a factory XM module harness I don't have enough information to splice or make an adapter harness.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2005 CTS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was not able to find the pinout for the factory XM module so I ended up purchasing a Caddipod-01 from Radios and More. The Caddipod is a white box Axxess XIA-D01 iPod adapter. This adapter is made by Metra and can be found at the metraonline website or at the axxessonline website. The biggest gripe I have about this product is that you cannot find any install manuals or operation manuals online at Metra, Axxess or at Radios and More. They are doing a good job of keeping it under the radar. They could sell more if they put forth a small amount of effort to supply more details about its installation and operation. The kit did not come with any installation instructions other than pointing me to the cadillacfaq site, 1 sheet for activating XM on the factor stereo using a Tech2 diagnostic tool, another sheet for navigating the iPod with the preset keys. Come on guys at least give us some pdfs online to look at.

I have just installed this module in my 05 CTS with Bose, without NAV, and without the factory XM module. What Radios and More is adding to the XIA-D01 is the T harness that connects to the CTS stereo and the XIA-D01 module. You can find the XIA-D01 module separately for about $125 and the XIAH-IPC module to iPod cable for about $30. The T harness is of high quality and based on the cost of the other pieces is about $40. I have only seen any vendor selling the harness. I paid $195 for the kit from Radios and More and this is in line with what is available for the CTS with factory XM from other companies like usaspec. You can add an XM module to the XIA-D01 by purchasing a Terk XM D1000 for about $60 and the XIAH-XMC cable to connect it to the XIA-D01 for $14. If you cannot find the Caddipod-01 kit on the Radios and More website, don't be surprised. I have seen it appear and vanish from the website. Their website is terrible. Give them a call if you don't see it on the website.

Reed has good information about the installation of the Caddipod adater (XIA-D01). Here is the link: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/ipodkit/index.html

If you do not have a factory XM module you will stop at the point where he talks about routing the red wire to the trunk. This is the new power wire for the factory XM module.

The XIA-D01 will charge the iPod, allow you to scroll through your play-lists, genres, artist and albums. You can navigate by using F1-F4, the seek button, tune knob and the buttons on the steering wheel. I have not been able to find a way to fast forward or reverse in a song. Some modules allow you to use the iPod controls as well but this module does not. You can unplug the iPod, select what you want on the iPod and plug it back in and you can play using that method to control the iPod.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2005 CTS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have come across the pinout for the factory XM harness. It is located on the Cadillaqfaq site under a link for adding an auxiliary input. Here is the address.
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/connector/index.html#tab7

That link contains all audio connectors and pinouts for a 2004 CTS. The iPod adapter kits that I have been looking at work on the 04-06 CTS. There should be enough information in this thread for someone to make a harness or hardwire in an iPod adapter that requires a factory XM module.

Update on my Caddipod (Axxess) adapter. I am not happy with the volume from the iPod. I have dug around and found that I need a line driver to boost the voltage from the Axxess module to the Bose head unit. I have a line driver ordered from davidnavone.com and will give an update after I have this installed.

·
Registered
Cadillac
62 Posts
so zimmer, if i understand correctly, you buy the ipodtocar kit, and the Tharness. The Tharness plugs directly inbetween the stero and the ipodkit. SO its a simple intsall?? You then buy the ipod cable get your self tech2 and are good 2 go?

Thanks,

·
Registered
Cadillac 2005 CTS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cadipod kit came with everything I needed, T harness, iPod cable, and iPod adapter. I had my receiver tech2'd prior to installing the adapter. I have read that you have to install the adapter before tech2 but it worked fine for me. This install is very simple and will take less than 30 minutes.

Update on the line driver. I installed the line driver but I removed it because I felt the sound quality was better without it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
62 Posts
hey jzimmer dood, i Installed mine, got it tech 2d, but am getting no function what so ever. THe XM band is not showing up. ne ideas?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
137 Posts
So if you have an older radio with Bose and without XM... will you see the songs on the display? I have an 03 and I can't find any adapter that will display the songs and allow you to use the factory radio to contol the Ipod... there are hundreds of FM modulators that play through the radio but that is it... I put the Harmon Kardon in my wife's Equinox and it works "ok" but I want to be able to keep everything hidden..

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 07 Infrared
53 Posts
do you guys think Caddipod is better than Neucleus. I have 07 CTS and looking for ipod kit myself.

·
Registered
Cadillac
62 Posts
I can't say anything about the nucleus but the caddi pod is much easier to install.

and from my understanding if you hav ethe pewter dash in the 03 you are SOL bro. Sorry.

·
Registered
Cadillac 3.6 CTS
48 Posts
Got mine from Amazon......installation was a piece of cake...plug and play. however, i need help getting it to advance mode. i tried holding out the F4 and F6...still doesn't work. any help would be much appreciated. thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts