Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 2005
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently purchased a used 05 Cadillac CTS. I love the look of it and how it feels behind the wheel except for one really annoying loud noise that comes from the wheel. I took it back to the dealership and they told me this is a normal wheel noise. the noise becomes very apparent at about 40mph and then you really hear it at 60, but then when you get faster it seems to go away. It is loud and even the radio doesnt keep me from hearing it. It seems to me that a car this stylish should be a little quieter. Does anyone else have this constant noise from the wheel? It sounds like a humming noise but with thud sounds as if the tire had a ball in it or something like that. thanks in advance. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow morning so they can check it again. I also feel a slight vibration in the wheel with the noise. I just dont accept that this is normal...please help.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
tell them to take all the weights off of each tire and to rebalance them all...that should fix the problem if that is actually your problem

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
If it's comming from the rear, you may want to suspect the rear end differential. These are know to be loud in the CTS. Mine is loudest at 45 mph. It's been that way for 100k miles so I don't think it will fail, it's just loud. My dealer would not replace it, he said it's not loud enough to replace. keep after them.

·
Registered
Cadillac
137 Posts
does the volume of the noise tend to change (louder or softer) when going around a bend at speed as opposed to going straight? Could be a wheel bearing. One of mine are bad. i hear a whoop whoop whoop noise at normal speeds and then it gets louder when going around a bend while keeping speed ie. exiting off an express way.

·
Registered
05 CTS
7 Posts
I actually just ran across the exact situation last week. I bought an 05 and it had a rhythematic humming at 60-70 mph. I took it back to the dealer and they said it was due to the performance tires that were on the car. I thought that was kinda weird to but I have never owned one of these so I accepted the answer. The car handles fine and I did not notice any vibrating. The tech stated if I replace the performance tires with touring/cruising tires it will go away.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
dont settle for a BS answer...make them prove it, customer satisfaction is what they are suppose to be all about

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
I took it back to the dealer and they said it was due to the performance tires that were on the car. I thought that was kinda weird to but I have never owned one of these so I accepted the answer.
Performance tires can transmit more road noise.

What kind of tires are they?

·
Registered
05 CTS
7 Posts
They are Fuzion HRI...it's strange...it is not a constant humming it is a hum pause for a second hum again pause for a second hum again...and it happens between 60-70 faster or slower you can't hear it.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
i have perfromance tires and they dont have a hummin noise that appears at any certain speed or at any speed matter of fact...take your car back to the stealership, and make them fix your problems and dont settle with there nonsense...you paid them thousands of $s for acar that you plan on driving for a while, make them earn that money

·
Registered
CTS 2005
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I took the car back for repair...the 2nd time I took it they balanced all 4 wheels and told me that the performance tires were the reason for the shimmy. when I left the lot it felt a little better but then a few days later i was back to the vibration in the steering wheel. I took the car back a 3rd time and this time they changed all 4 tires and wheels. the thumping sound is gone but the shimmy is still there. I am so frustrated!!!

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS '03
7 Posts
From what I hear online, the 2003 Cadillac's are known to have noise issues in the rear differential and the wheel bearings. My problems with my '03 (with 55k miles) started with the rear diff making a whine noise when driving under 60mph (just loud enough to be noticed but not loud enough to want to pay to be fixed). I also heard it more intense when you press the gas pedal, probably due to the drive shaft putting more tension on the diff gears. Then months later the front wheel bearings started to make a whine noise.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
The guys who balance tires are sometimes 18 year olds who ..... I have had good tire shops re-balance my tires 4 or 5 times.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
It could also be the brand of the tires.

Tire manufact will refund most of your money if you call their 800 #.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts