Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
04 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old transmission went out, we got a new one, install was a pain but they got it in. Car ran just fine all of last night, maybe about 50 miles or so, give or take, at a red light, the car stopped, wouldn't engage. Let the car set for a minute and restarted, it would start up and move again, then die out and stop going. We're trying to get the fluid level correct, which seems to be might be the issue. Can someone link me something with clear photos and descriptions on how to fill this and check it properly? And i believe they had dex 3 instead of 6, so will that make an issue there or does it really matter?

----------

bump

·
Registered
CTS
256 Posts
There's a bolt on the driver's side of the transmission that you can get off with an Allen wrench, take it out, if fluid is coming out you're good, otherwise you need more fluid (which can be pumped into the same hole if I recall correctly) until it's full. No dipstick tube on this car. My advice, just take it to a shop and have them do it unless you have a lift, my mechanic charged me $10 for fluid/labor to fill it up to the proper level after I tried to piss with it for a while and got a large amount of ATF on me.

·
Registered
629 Posts
mattfranz said:
There's a bolt on the driver's side of the transmission that you can get off with an Allen wrench, take it out, if fluid is coming out you're good, otherwise you need more fluid (which can be pumped into the same hole if I recall correctly) until it's full. No dipstick tube on this car. My advice, just take it to a shop and have them do it unless you have a lift, my mechanic charged me $10 for fluid/labor to fill it up to the proper level after I tried to piss with it for a while and got a large amount of ATF on me.
with the car off fill the trans until fluid comes out. Then start the vehicle and do the same thing. Once it trickles while running, only then are you FULL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts