Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all! I can't tell you how HAPPY I am that I found this forum. Otherwise, I probably would be riding a bicycle right now!

I had my radiator back up into my transmission and to make a long story short I wen't to a shop who replaced the radiator and was supposed to flush the transmission and replace the fluid.

(original post here, but it's long and confusing. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/645873-please-help-girl-out-05-cts.html)

Well, that was 3 months ago and about a month ago my transmission went and had to be rebuilt at the tune of 2600. (I'm told thats not a bad price, but its way more than this nursing student had in the bank :(( )

The receipt doesn't indicate that they flushed it, I was never charged for a flush. When I called to ask about it, they say they did it but must not have put it on the receipt.

My question is would it be likely that failing to flush it would have caused or contributed to my transmission failing?

If so, should I push the issue? I"m so bad at confrontation, and I just want to believe the mechanic is being honest, but I Feel like it's possible they just made a mistake that cost me nearly 3k.

Thanks for listening, I've been thinking/worrying about this for awhile now and I"m just not sure what to do.

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
Got an attorney? Better yet, one who's a friend and wouldn't mind making a single free phone call for you?

If so, tell him this story and ask him if he would make a phone call or write a letter on your behalf.

The cost of replacing or rebuilding a transmission is a LOT less than the cost of being dragged to court over it.

Any shop owner that knows anything and has any sense will understand that, and they'll take care of the problem.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
^ ditto

I have read the thread and feel for you(been a college student myself) and I know how it is to budget

A lawyer is likely your best bet as I wouldn't trust the mechanic if they claim they did it without proof(then don't want to back up the work)

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
I would go back to the original people and ask to talk to the owner or boss that can make a monetary call.

I would be very prepared bills in hand time, dates. I would very nicely and professionally state you're case without the input that money is tight and you are a student. Saying those things might let them think they have you over a financial barrel and you do not have the means to pursue the issue further.

Play on their profession (auto mechanics) that if the tranny was drained (flushed once or twice) properly by them the tranny could have been saved. They are partly to blame and before taking this matter further you would like to offer them to do the right thing and compensate you somewhat. $250-$1250 would be fair.

Something is better than nothing and court and lawyer's are not always the answer for people that don't have money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts