Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1999 Deville base
95 Eldorado, 99 Deville, 05 CTS
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Wait till you hear this one! I got a "squirrel flat", the other day, and that's what led me up to my rear suspension condition. It went like this- Tooling down the dirt road on my way to the pavement, just before the end, a big red squirrel ran under the middle of the car and I felt it bump under the right rear. After I turned onto the pavement the car started acting "squirrelly"(pun intended?) around the next corner. Drove up next side road and after unloading all my tools, which were considerable, I finally got car jacked up and half-flat spare on, I looked at the tire and it threadbare on the very inside of the tire, all way around, with a hole I could have shoved a pencil thru! That squirrels teeth, I'm sure gave me that flat! Well, anyway, after reverse course and making it to the tire shop, for a new tire(s), I found out that BOTH back tires are severely worn on the inside, with the pass side being the worst. The toe rods seem good and I got new trailing arms and used "knee" sets for both sides online, but the outer-upper control arm bushings are not very good. Dried n cracked. My question is-(finally), being that the lower control arm and the rest of the knuckle bushing are good, if, after I change out the upper control arm bushings, would it be worth it to drill and add grease zirts to knuckle ball joints? Even thru the knuckle housing itself, for the lower arm? It's the hard, expensive one?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >130k miles
565 Posts
All this because of a squirrel! But probably better that it happened this way instead of the tire blowing at 60 mph on the freeway.

I have not heard of anyone adding a zerk to the knuckle housing but I don't see how it could hurt. If you do this, please let us know how it turns out. I'm sure many others (myself included) would like to avoid dropping $400+ on this part, if possible!

·
1999 Deville base
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ryan! Yea, that's the idea. I did my fronts, completely, shocks n all. All but sway bar, still gonna do that. And, yea!, I'm glad the tire ddnt blow, way out on the hiway, esp with my donut being half flat. After I saw how bad the backs were, I ckd the toe, was surprised to see it spot on. The toe rods seemed in good shape, still firm. The trailing arms seemed soft, and the control arms looked sketchy,so I figured that the whole unit must be squirming under acceleration, braking and cornering. Lots of corners round here. So I found a set of those BMR, aftermarket T arms for 130$ New oem cost bout that. These have the teflon rotating joint, with a pin in each side. No play. Solid. They make the same kind of toe rods, too, 200$, I'll get those later. I did get the poly T arm bushings at the knuckle, to complete that fix. Then, I ran across "knee" setsm online, for 125$, plus 75$ shipping each side. They looked really really good in the pix, but when they came, the other day, both outer upper control arm bushings are bout shot. Dried n cracked. The lower ones seemed to be tight, on the outer ends, when I put a long 3/8" extension in the bushing pin hole, and pried on it all around. The inner joints had no play in the joints, that I could tell, but one rubber seal is split. These are the ones I'm gonna try n put zirts on, because like you said not easy or cheap ones to deal with. I'm gonna order the greasable poly bushings from Creative Steal, tday, for the upper control arms. The upper outer ball joints are good, one actually still a little stiff. Going to zirt those too. I figure, that maybe doing the grease zirts in those 2 spots on each side, and with the poly on the other, maybe I can get the tires to wear true and the units to last, maybe as long as I have the car. I hope. Anyway, that's my long winded idea! Squirrels, Beware!

·
1999 Deville base
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, anyone know of any other sources for aftermarket suspension bushings for CTS, besides Creative Steal and Revshift?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >130k miles
565 Posts
Rock Auto has MOOG control arm and sway bar bushings. I currently have their sway bar links and overall have been happy with their quality. My only complaint is the zerks are hard to reach.

Edit: i think MOOG bushings are direct replacements and therefore not.greasable.

·
1999 Deville base
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ryan. Yea, Moogs are good rubber, I was meaning poly stuff. I've got most of what I need for now, already, (not much), but was wanting to know for future reference and price comparison.

·
1999 Deville base
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think that there are more options for aftermarket poly bushings, for CTS, than Creative Steal and Revshift. Anybody know?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts