Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
1999 Deville base
95 Eldorado, 99 Deville, 05 CTS
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey all, what could cause a hole in exhaust valve , like this? Its #6, at firewall side. Car has bout 180k miles on it. Thanks for any replies!

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Wood Rim Circle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior

Sorry bout the Xtra pix, Im still trying to figure the picture posting thing. Only supps to be 3.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,446 Posts
Mechanical failure from the assembly line - faulty valve from the start. A failure caused by lean mixtures would be more catastrophic and burnt snow white.

·
1999 Deville base
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes Sir. Makes sense to me. Like you said, Ive seen a few burnt bfre, but they were always white from too hot a plug(s), and usally intake v.

Thanks, Sub. Ya know, with 180k on it, Id think the cams would show some kinda wear, but I cant make out any at all, on anyplace on the lobes!?

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,446 Posts
Curious that there was not a weird exhaust "whooooosssshhhhh!!!!!! or putt-putt-putt-putt.

The white on valves and pistons is caused by lean mixtures, not hot plugs. "Hot" plugs allow the center ceramic and electrodes to run warmer so it tends to keep the plug tip cleaner - but there IS a happy medium. Too hot and the plug destroys itself.

·
1999 Deville base
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yessir. Yea, it wasnt noisy. Only a miss. And when the rpms got up, it would straighten out, and the lite would stop flashing!

Since I had already rebuilt the front and rear end, brakes, rotors and all, radiator, ALL new trans fluid and filter, I went ahead and got rebuilt heads for BOTH sides, and a Melling timing set.

·
1999 Deville base
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sub, as hard as the thermostat is to get to on this car, I wanna change out the thermostat. RockA has a Gates premium and a Stant. About the same price. Which one would you get?

Oh yea, and do you think I should blow out all the oil and coolant passages, before I put the replacement heads back on? One is a factory reman, w/o cams, and the other is a rebuilt (complete), from Odessa heads, in Clearwater Fla.?

·
1999 Deville base
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
My other replacement head, from GM, came w/o cams( are on way from GM Parts in Cincnnati), and in a little bag are 2 check valves and 4 2 1/2" round gaskets. I wonder whats the best way to tap the valves in, and what the gaskets are for?

I guess Ill just spit on em and pound em in with a hammer.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >140k miles
1,023 Posts
My other replacement head, from GM, came w/o cams( are on way from GM Parts in Cincnnati), and in a little bag are 2 check valves and 4 2 1/2" round gaskets. I wonder whats the best way to tap the valves in, and what the gaskets are for?

I guess Ill just spit on em and pound em in with a hammer.
Interesting! Do you have pics of the valves and gaskets? Otherwise I'm not sure what they would be.

·
1999 Deville base
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ryan, in the pix of the head with hole in the valve, its the two little dealies at the bottom, middle, side by side. There is a chek ball n weak spring, in each one.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >140k miles
1,023 Posts
Hmm. My service manual does not show the valves (or maybe I'm just missing it). I would call the dealer service dept or the place where you bought it, to inquire about these parts.

·
1999 Deville base
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I already oiled em and tapped em in with a wooden hammer handle held sideways and another hammer. sorry for lack of info. Thanks, Ryan! Both heads have those valves. For some kinda oil control?

Where Im at right now is getting ready to put timing cover back on. I pressure washed and air gunned it, but its still pretty grimy. I sent the girls for sm gas, to clean it in my tub. Ireusd t exhaust manifold to head gaskets, but with copper gasket stuff. Ddnt put any on cat pipe side. Got coolant pipe on passenger side on, with new thermostat. Still gotta figure out the 2 ground wires. They are 2 cables into 1, above alternator. Gonna do alt after frnt cvr. Got both heads on,but still otta torque head bolts. Gotta make 150 degrees, after initial mild torque. I gotta dial thing, I guess, after I do 1st torque, Ill put it on, then mark the bolts and head at0, then mark head at 150, then turn to there? In sequence, of course. I would appreciate any tips! Yay team!

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >140k miles
1,023 Posts
Where Im at right now is getting ready to put timing cover back on. I pressure washed and air gunned it, but its still pretty grimy. I sent the girls for sm gas, to clean it in my tub. Ireusd t exhaust manifold to head gaskets, but with copper gasket stuff. Ddnt put any on cat pipe side. Got coolant pipe on passenger side on, with new thermostat. Still gotta figure out the 2 ground wires. They are 2 cables into 1, above alternator. Gonna do alt after frnt cvr. Got both heads on,but still otta torque head bolts. Gotta make 150 degrees, after initial mild torque. I gotta dial thing, I guess, after I do 1st torque, Ill put it on, then mark the bolts and head at0, then mark head at 150, then turn to there? In sequence, of course. I would appreciate any tips! Yay team!
When I did my timing chains I used acetone and a brush/cloth to clean the front cover and intake manifold. After that I finished with spray acetone (aka carb cleaner) and an air compressor to remove any lint, etc.

IME the angle gauges are kinda hard to use, especially if you have limited space. I have better luck just measuring the angle and marking the bolt head and adjacent metal, given that hex bolts have 60 degrees between adjacent edges. For example, for 150 degrees, just torque the bolt to the initial value and then mark the bolt in two places (shown in red) and the adjacent metal (shown in blue) as the reference point:
Rectangle Triangle Font Parallel Circle

Then tighten the bolt until the150 mark lines up with the blue reference point.
Triangle Rectangle Parallel Font Circle

This process is harder when the angle is not a multiple of 30!!!

·
1999 Deville base
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am cleaning front cover off, now, with gas, scrub brush, tootbrush, compressed air, etc. Hope to get back on, and all the wiring to the heads.

About timing sets. I 1st ordered what I thought was the "best" cheap, set, but when it arrived, and I felt it, I said "* no! I xchanged for Melling. When I felt the unopened box in my hands, I said * yea! Major diff. What was I thinking?

·
1999 Deville base
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RyanY, got 2 ground cables going into 1. I must go to t head, the other to the block, where the alternater bracket bolts on. But Im still left with an empty boss, just next to the head cable ground boss connection? Looking at the old head, its hard to tell if it was used or not? Im talking bout front left top side of head. Just below number 1, just below valve cover. Easy to see. Can you tell me, by comparing to yrs, whats on ther? Thanks Bro!

·
1999 Deville base
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, its on the passenger side- on the side top of the head. Are 2 bosses, easy to see. But this is an 05, yrs is 07, I think. Mite b diff. Ill send pix tomo. Ty Ryan.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >140k miles
1,023 Posts
No, its on the passenger side- on the side top of the head. Are 2 bosses, easy to see. But this is an 05, yrs is 07, I think. Mite b diff. Ill send pix tomo. Ty Ryan.
This is the pass side front, right behind the ECU. Maybe this will help...the green arrow points toward front of car. The red arrows point to the ground wire and connection point.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Coil Gas Automotive wheel system

·
1999 Deville base
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea, RyanY, thats them. Thanks! I guess that 1 is not used. The other end of the ground must go to block, maybe at the generater bracket.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >140k miles
1,023 Posts
The 2005 repair manual also shows a ground connection along the rear/outside of the passenger side head (possibly for a different wire harness than the one you referred to???). I don't remember seeing this connection on mine, but it has been a few years since I had mine apart and I may have killed a lot of brain cells since then!
Font Auto part Slope Art Rectangle

Yea, on old hea, it had a bolt in it. The one I thought was ground wire, goes to battery. Im trying to get wires figured out, bfre I go too far, and have to go backward! Am looking for that bak corner one now. Thanks Ryan!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts