Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1999 Deville base
95 Eldorado, 99 Deville, 05 CTS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! It's been awhile. After putting 10k miles on "My little white car", as I like to call it, the front end on drivers side is knocking so loud, and my tires are wearing badly on the insides, I broke down and ordered front and lower control arms for both sides. Can hardly wait till they get here. I use it as a daily driver and a work car. Mileage with the continuous changing oil 3.6 has been about 22 average. 23 on highway. Therem for a little while, when I drove it hard, it seemed to start using less oil! But that's hard to do around here with all the hilly twisty roads with a shot front end. What I really want to know, is if anyone knows if those TRQ complete strut assemblies are any good? Or what is a good strut that can compare with ACDELCO? After I fix the front end (and prob rear next, tires wearing on insides there, too!), I wanna get some new suspension! Anybody? Thanks for any help! I like driving that "Little white car"!

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >129k miles
533 Posts
I changed my fronts to the assembled units (1A Auto) two years ago and they ride like the originals. I can't speak to their durability yet but assume they will be fine (originals lasted 10 years and 112k miles).

Edit: originals actually only lasted 110k but I drove 2k with squeaky struts because I didn't have time to change them right away.

·
1999 Deville base
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I looked at the TRQ's on 1Aauto, and the Unity`s, on Carid. I also found some acdelco cartridges for 35$, new mounts for 16$, in an attempt to save some $, and get the right ride, but the springs are hard to find, and by the time you spend, say, at the least 50$ for springs, that's over 100$ apiece, say 30$ aggravation to assemble it, mite as well buy a 130$ complete unit! My originals still dampen, but I think they have lost a lot after 158k, seem kinda rough and weak, going down the 5 miles of dirt road that I shortcut to the paved road. It's kinda hard to choose, so many out there, I'd hate to buy some junk, but I dnt want to spend too much money and get a too harsh ride, either. Hmm.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,962 Posts
There's no need to buy new springs, just reuse your existing ones. That will make the cost more palatable.

Depending on the type of poor tire wear you're seeing, it's probably more likely to be a poor alignment than bad struts. Not saying that your struts aren't due for replacement, just saying you might want to get a quality alignment (not just a "green and go" half-assed alignment like most shops will do).

As for the front end clunk, check your front sway bar bushings. At 158k they're probably shot, and that will definitely give you clunking. You can buy rubber replacements, of Creative Steel offers poly replacements that fit in the factory brackets.

·
1999 Deville base
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, AAIIIC. Since last post, I ran across an acdelco 503 599 professionsl premium replacement cartridge on ebay, new-home box for 27$ Looked it up on Rock Auto, and the info saz it's a road sensitive and valved for not having to be at it's full extension to work properly, like it's for the original springs. So, I'm glad that you think the springs are ok, now, if I can find a deal for the other one! My sway bar bushings are ok, but glad to hear about Creative Steel replacements, prob get the anyway. The left front knocks n bangs so loud, going slow on eneven ground. When it first started(over 10k ago!), I checked motor mounts, body mounts sway bar etc. I think it's the lower control arm shifting back n forth. The rubber bushings are visibly shot. The lower control arms came(from detroit axle)the other day, and I see why they are so much more expensive than the uppers, they're about 3 times the size! Big enough for a full size pickup! I take all my stuff a couple towns over that has a computer 4 wheel alignment rig. It lasers it, prints it all out in color, before and after degrees n such. Really cool, n not too xpsv, either. But NOW, the stupid car broke down on me 3 days ago! Wont start! I started another thread on it. Got codes u1300 c, p1629 c, and p1013 current. Low current class 2 data link, anti theft crank signal and bank 2 intake solenoid in park position! Tries to run, but wont. Sounded like one side had jumped time, but I had time to mess with it tday and it doesnt sound like that anymore. Now it sounds like it wants to run ok, but not getting any fuel. Has 55-to 60 pressure though. ?? I ckd all the fuses tday. Did battery disconnect, ckd fuel pressure. Only thing I can think to do next is to pull that solenoid n ck it out. I do need an oil change though. I'm just a little over 10k, but I've ran several oil changes thru it already. Still, I know....shame on me!

·
1999 Deville base
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my 503 599 acdelco "open box" strut cartridge came tday, but no where on it is 503 599. The # on it is 739521, and comes up as a gabriel! Is for the same car and has the same technology as the acdelco. Cant be a coincidence.

·
1999 Deville base
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed the no start/ with current codes p1629 theft/fuel enable password and u1300 class 2 data link low. Was in the the data link connector. See thread "05 cts, Did little white car jump time)

·
1999 Deville base
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
Got the drivers side done today. Worked by myself, got up to 35°, finished just at dark. The upper control arm seemed ok, replaced it anyway. The lower one was bad. I could almost push the front bushing out with my thumbs. I'm sure that's what's been knocking. The new acdelco "road sense" shock cartridge wasn't too bad to change out either, with a spring compressor rental.

Ddnt start till after noon. Took lower control arm off 1st, after removing tie rod end and stabilizer lower link and the 2 shock bolts. I knocked the wheel speed sensor wire plastic holders up from below with a hammer, then popped em out on top with a screwdriver. Then, I put the tire under the rotor with a mat on top, so it wouldn't scratch the rim up, and took the bolt out of upper control arm, let the whole hub/rotor/ brake assembly come down on the mat, and leaned it out of the way. Then, all that was left was the bolts under the hood for the upper control arm and shock mount, and shock, upper control arm and mount all came out in 1 piece. Easy peasy.

After changing the shock and upper control arm out, I put it all back together the same way. Only thing you gotta watch is getting the lower shock bow-tie mount holes straight across with the lower control arm. I had to put the spring compressor back on and take enough tension back off of it, till I could turn it by hand, till I got the holes line up with a Philip's screwdriver. No big deal. After I got the hub assembly hanging on the new upper control arm, I put a bottle jack under the lower control arm to lift it on the ball joint and lower shock mount. I tightened the lower control arm bolts with it jacked up a few inches, the upper almost straight out, like the old one was.

That was bout it. Can hardly wait to drive it! Especially down the dirt road, to see how the new "road sensing" shock works! Gonna do the other side as soon as the other shock gets here. That's another story- 2 different brand shocks-same part #! Acdelco and Gabriel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts