Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get a straight answer, some people say just top it up don't change it.. but to me that doesn't make sense I was planning on using some tax money to drain flush and fill er up again everybody's opinion would be appreciated.... I don't know what to do when I first bought the car 40,000 miles ago I could barely ever feel my car shift I feel that the shifting has gotten harder over time

·
Registered
05 CTS
38 Posts
I would definitely do a filter/fluid change. Don't take it somewhere to have it flushed. Just drain the fluid, drop the pan, change the filter, reassemble and fill with fluid. The viscosity of the trans fluid breaks down over time and will not perform as well as it did when new.

I have done this on many cars with 150k+ miles with no issues. They have always performed better with the fresh fluid and filter then before. If a filter/fluid change causes trans issues, than your trans had issues before the fluid change.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,045 Posts
I've never owned an automatic, but from what I've read in various places, schmoses's recommendation is correct. It seems with high mileage automatics the problems arise when you flush the transmission, as that apparently stirs up a bunch of wear products that may not be flushed fully and may cause issues. If you just do a drain & refill and filter change, you don't run into that problem.

Again, no personal experience for me, but that seems to be the general consensus.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts