Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just signed up here after reading quite a bit.

I have been peaking around at new cars, and I have become very interested in the CTS, although I have some questions that I wasn't really able to resolve by searching around.

First, I made the mistake of test driving the V. GOD what a car! Sadly though, she is definitly out of my price range. Aside from the unbelievable power, the feel of the suspension on the V was in my opinion.. bliss. Its how a sports sedan should feel. Is it possible to modify a standard CTS (without the rear load levelers, which as I understand it is an option) to feel just like the V? Perhaps by using the V springs and shocks? I read that the shocks are a direct port over, but I didn't see anything about the springs. The stock CTS feels nice, but the suspension doesn't feel like a V, and good lord that was amazing. I must know how to replicate this!

Second, the other cars I have been looking at include the G35 sedan and the new Jetta GLI (manual only). Both of these cars feel quicker than the CTS did (Jetta due to weight, G35 due to more hp/torque). Now I will admit, its been about 4 months since I last test drove a CTS. It was an automatic 05 (no selectable gear option). How does the new CTS with the 'tiptronic' transmission stack up to the likes of a G35? Or even the 6-speed?

Finally.. I got to read about the intakes, headers, xpipes and such. I am happy to hear the xpipes offer more torque as its what I felt was missing (Im coming from a heavily modified Grand Prix GTP). What are some track times people are seeing with some of these mods? Im honestly not one for track times, but that does give a good impression by comparing what my car felt like the various times I ran it.

·
Registered
2005 Black Raven CTS 1SB, Luxury and Sport packages
172 Posts
Did the CTS you test drove have the sport equipment group package? The most obvious way to tell is whether it had 16" or 17" wheels. The vast majority of the cars I see on my local dealer's lot and on the road have the 16" wheels, and hence no sport package.

I test drove both a base 1SB model and the loaded 1SC model and in my opinion, the CTS isn't worth buying without the steering and handling enhancements from the sport suspension. Although I haven't test driven a V, I couldn't ask for any better handling.

And the 2006 CTS suspension is supposed to have improvements over 2005. Go test drive one if you can find one.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
skepticman said:
Did the CTS you test drove have the sport equipment group package? The most obvious way to tell is whether it had 16" or 17" wheels. The vast majority of the cars I see on my local dealer's lot and on the road have the 16" wheels, and hence no sport package.

I test drove both a base 1SB model and the loaded 1SC model and in my opinion, the CTS isn't worth buying without the steering and handling enhancements from the sport suspension. Although I haven't test driven a V, I couldn't ask for any better handling.

And the 2006 CTS suspension is supposed to have improvements over 2005. Go test drive one if you can find one.
I agree, did the model have 16 or 17 inch wheels? I have the luxury sport package with the 17 inch wheels, one time when my car was in for service, I had a base CTS loaner. No offense to any base CTS guy, but the differnce in ride and handling was very differnt. The base CTS felt much looser and I wasnt as confident around sharp turns at high speeds as I was with my CTS with the sport suspension and variable speed steering.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
You messed up by test driving the V first. You'll never duplicate the V or get the same feel in the CTS but do get the CTS sports package with the NAV. There's also real good prices on used V's so it might not be out of range.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
If you want handling, definitely go with the sport package (1SC). If that's not enough, all of the V parts bolt right on, although I'd (and I did) go with Eibach springs rather than V springs to lower it about an inch at the same time. They're about the same rate as the stock V springs and are a great match for FE4 (CTS-V) shocks. You can either bolt on V sway bars (like I'm about to do) or go with the stiffer Eibach or Hotchkis sway bars. Since the CTS is about 300 to 350 lbs lighter than the V, it handles incredibley with these mods.

Welcome to your new addiction.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Can we not talk about the V-series? I'm having withdrawels. I haven't driven one in about 7 months *twitch twitch twitch*

I almost wish i'd never driven it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts