Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Damn, looks like there are a few leaks under the 04 that I just purchased (should have seen it coming haha)

Anyway anyone familiar with this noise, trying to isolate it I think it's the hydroboost but not 100% sure yet. I uploaded a video of the noise, it happens when the steering is turned or the breaks are pumped.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
535 Posts
The hydroboost (what I believe you are referring to as the power boost) is a brake booster that's powered by the power steering pump. The brake booster itself makes no noise. Without watching the video, your description sounds like your power steering pump could be leaking and low on fluid, or getting near the end of its life. Not sure if you checked fluid level or not.

There are a total of 5 hoses that comprise the power steering system. If one or more of those is leaking, you will need to replace them. There are two pressure hoses that attach to the hydroboost, and one low pressure hose that connects to the power steering pump return hose. There will also be a couple that attach to the steering box, and there is a power steering cooler which has an inlet and an outlet.

Check to see if the hydroboost is leaking where it mates to the master cylinder. Wiping your finger on the underside of this flange will tell you if the hydroboost is leaking (oil on finger, leaking. Dry or just dirty...not greasy, you are ok). Replacing the hydroboost is a royal pain, solely because of the locking clip that holds the booster rod to the brake pedal. I hope the engineer who designed that part never procreated. Once you get past that clip, the rest of the job is cake, aside from getting to the 4 nuts in the footwell that hold the booster onto the firewall (adjustable pedals are in the way). But I wouldn't go down that route if you don't have to (and it doesn't seem like you would need to at this point).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you are right hydroboost is what I was referring to why I typed powerboost I will never know considering I was looking at the service repair manual as well when I wrote this and it even states hydroboost lol.

I appreciate the input given and I'm going to look into this as I do have a few leaks from what I believe is the power steering. I see the clip you are talking about and you are right it doesn't appear to be a fun job under the pedals considering I'm a bigger guy. I will take a look at the power steering lines as you suggested and trace back each one to find the leak.

Thanks again

·
2005 ESV
11 Posts
The brake assist is powered by the Power Steering and not the engine vacuum? Will wonders never cease.

If it's occurring with both power steering and brakes (and the brakes are assisted by the power steering) then more than likely your power steering pump is getting ready to leave you on the side of the road. The brake assist is something that I'm not too familiar with, as I've only worked on vacuum powered brake boosters in the past.

And that clip shouldn't be too bad. Still, you'll probably want to get in the driver's seat upside down with your head at the pedals and your feet by your head rest. Sure, it's a royal pain to get in/out, but once you're in position, it's not too bad. Plus, the clip will be quick and easy. Not like the last time I was in this position when I was replacing the blower motor in the wife's minivan (after blowing the thermal fuse twice I knew the motor was ready to go. Luckily, the fuses only cost about $1.50 at Radio Shack as opposed to $100 at the dealer).

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,131 Posts
The clip everyone is referring to isn't that bad to remove. Simply find the bottom tab, gently pry towards passenger side and slide clip up, real easy. No tool required to reinstall. Push clip on nub and push down.

Remember the correct position that the plastic wiring harness is in prior to removing clip.

Yes, you have to be a contortionist to remove clip and 4 hydroboost nuts.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
535 Posts
That clip either comes right out, or you will fight it for hours. No in-between. I had to buy a set of picks to get the clip out. But I wanted to adjust something and try to take the clip off again, but last I tried, I couldn't get the clip off with the pick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts