Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car turned over but never started and then nothing, no clicks or anything. If I pull the relay under the hood and send 12v directly to the starter it fires right up. I suspected the clutch safety switch at first but since I just replaced the MC not long ago. I pulled it off and zip tied it to act as if the clutch is pushed all the way in and still nothing. Ignition switch maybe?

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 1 says diagnostic system check. I assume they mean some sort of scanner? I'm not getting any click out of the starter at all.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
The diagnostic system check is essentially to check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes ("DTCs"). Most major and common DTCs will trigger a Check Engine Light, but you do need a scanner to detect those that do not. Also, if you do not have a GM TechII scanner you cannot perform some of the steps on the trouble shooting charts, such as switching certain components on/off (e.g. the fuel pump) without turning the key. Nonetheless the charts can often be useful. See attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got Hptuners as well as a obd 2 scanner thats constantly hooked up to the car. No codes so far. So far i've got the constant 12v to the starter but I'm not getting anything from the ignition.

----------

I am getting a click from one of the relays hard to tell which one. I swapped out the blower relay with the starter just to make sure, no dice. Checked over every fuse relay that either had to do with the starter or ignition, nothing.

----------

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but my ignition wire coming off the solenoid is bare, made it easier to check the voltage but I definitely wasn't getting anything.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the pcm last night and I am for sure getting voltage from the ignition switch to the pcm but nothing going to the starter relay. So is something keeping it from passing this voltage along or could the pcm be bad yet still allow the car to run when I bypass the relay?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Checked the pcm last night and I am for sure getting voltage from the ignition switch to the pcm but nothing going to the starter relay. So is something keeping it from passing this voltage along or could the pcm be bad yet still allow the car to run when I bypass the relay?
If the PCM has voltage it can still "refuse" to activate starting (by providing ground to the circuit) if it does not "see" the clutch position circuit - are you positive about your "zip tie" fix and/or could the clutch fuse be blown?

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the switch all together and jumped the connector with some paper clips. From what I have seen in other threads this should be sufficient. It sure seems like that is the problem but who knows, If it was I would have figured it would start by now. I didn't really notice a fuse for it, I mainly looked at all the ones that said starter or ignition on them.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
The fuse is next to the ignition relay and it labeled "HTR VLV/CLTCH" Additionally, the PCM will withhold starting if it is unhappy with the data it sees (via Class 2 serial bus) from the VTD (vehicle theft deterrent). I believe, however, anything with the antitheft system will provide a message on the dash.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dude, you just saved me a shit ton of money. I checked that fuse and sure enough its popped. Thank you soo much.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He will have to settle with some beers if he ever finds himself in Austin, about all this lowly electrician can afford lol.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,098 Posts
Some of us have had some fun with no-starts on these cars. In my case, it was totally intermittent (the best kind) so I resorted to wiring up some LED indicators that I taped to my windshield. One lit when the clutch-starter interlock was closed and the other lit when the starter relay closed. In my case, I finally got a no-start with the lights. Everything was lit. It was the starter (or solenoid). High heat area...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts