1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

As mentioned in the 04 Poor Bose thread I have a couple of other problems:

Just got this car and brought it in to trusted garage. Only has 137km (87K Miles) but just had to get a LOT fixed to get safetied/certified. (brakes and related parts, alternator, FRAME WELDING, coolant line, i cant even remember everything ... picking it up tomorrow)
One of the warnings i was getting was the "service suspension - speed limited" .. I have done a lot of reading on this board now so I know the nature of the situation. When i was there i looked under and saw that it was original GM magneride shocks in the front (from here i learned acdelco 580462 if i want to order) but was quoted a lot more then what i would think from online prices to do each front side.(probably because that includes new springs etc?)

The shocks dont look that bad (and from driving it a couple days felt okay) but the wire/plug coming off the left front is sheared off and just hanging, which is probably (well maybe who knows) what is causing the service warning. Apparently the plug cannot be ordered alone, but my question is would it be difficult to just solder the wiring to get it hooked up again? Or, as read on this board, if I were to do the resistor trick to fool the computer, would the magneride still work by itself, if it is working? He is not servicing the suspension further at this time but I would like to at least get that limitation warning off the dash until I am ready to replace them . I dont think I want to go the conversion route- might as well keep it original like the Bose lol

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,130 Posts
The hanging wire needs to be repaired. If either a wheel speed sensor (center of assembly mounting flange) or a suspension control data cable is disconnected it sets the warnings.

The F55 MRC uses special active front struts, rear shocks - the shocks also incorporate air bladders that work with the Electronic Level Control - it's not "suspension" control per se - it's level control to compensate for extra weight in the trunk or rear seat.

The "resistor trick" disables the entire MRC system and "fools" the modules into "thinking" the correct struts and shocks are installed - the resistors simulate the impedance (electrical load) of each active strut/shock.

BTW, You now own one of the ONLY 274 STS built in the "2004 model year". All were Export models - none were sold in the U.S. All Seville production stopped in December 2003. What is the build date on the driver's door sticker ?

Post #6 -

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks, I will have to ask him why the hanging wire cant just be repaired (reattached) . I am pretty sure it is the suspension control cable. I see, I should be referring to the front as struts not shocks.
Im sure I will have more to post when I get it back.
That is very interesting about there only being 274- I read that thread before but couldn't find it again. I am pretty sure the build sticker said 11/03 but will have to confirm. Must have been one of the last ones to roll out.

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got the car back, and while it rides and drives beautifully, the cacophony of chimes combined with the bad speaker somewhat ruins the experience :)

We did not hook up the one line on the strut yet, so i was fully expecting the suspension codes, but there are others that are worrisome. The car supposedly had a new battery recently, and while it was just in I was told that the alternator was overcharging the battery so they replaced it (the alternator, with my permission of course-- i am not complaining about the garage here) . Before I went to leave, the coolant warning came on even though the hose was replaced. They came out and checked it and the coolant level is fine- car ran perfectly fine no overheating today. Okay so possibly sensor in coolant tank? I can deal with getting that replaced. After driving a few kilometers, ABS, brake, traction control lights all came on and I got a bunch of warnings about that. Next came a high voltage warning, 16.1, but after a few minutes went away and whenever i checked was fine 14.7v. Besides the expected suspension control warnings, there are also stability control warnings (presumably from the rear?)- could the unhooked strut in the front be causing the stability control and abs/brake problems ?
The car has newish snow tires and was perfectly fine driving on ice tonight, but i did not feel that pulsing on the brake so maybe abs is really off.
Also when turning on the car at night i get "headlamps suggested" , so i manually turned the lights on (unless this car doesnt have auto-on headlights?i thought it did). At one point the headlights went out while i was stopped in a driveway (with them manually turned on) . Had to restart the vehicle to get them turned on again.
I did try to clear the codes myself on the dash (after they tried with their computer) but perhaps i did not go through the whole procedure because i just did it again now, clearing each system after the initial "clear all codes?" I took a video and have transcribed everything below. I said N at all of the ID? questions because when I tried earlier today I said Y. Also maybe the end section is redundant because i had already cleared the codes? - i need to reread that sticky thread about what the ID stuff means. H is HISTORY - only a few currents - now that they are all cleared I will see what it says tomorrow. Im pretty sure the shop cleared everything too though- could these all be from today? Could this possibly be caused by a bad wiring harness connection? Could the over0-charging alternator have fried the PCM(ECM?)? somehow? I realize this is alot and more of a rant than a question. I dont expect anyone to go through all of these I'll be doing that and booking it back in to get checked out, but if anything jumps out at anyone or anyone has input/suggestions it is appreciated.

ABS C1225 HISTORY
ABS C1232 H
ABS C1237 H
ABC C1248 H
AMP B1328 H
DDM B1581 H
DDM B1591 H
DDM U1713 H
DIM B1982 H
IPC B1514H
IPM B1982H
IRC U1016 H
MSM U1305 H
MSM U1160 H
MSM U1064 H
MSM U1016 H
PCM P0410 CURRENT
PCM P0563 HISTORY
PCM P0520 CURRENT
NO RFA CODES
RIM B1328 H
RIM U1255 H
RSS C0579 CURRENT
RSS C0584 CURRENT
NO SDM CODES
TTM B1328 HISTORY
NO VDT CODES
ALL CLEAR CODES? Y
ALL CODES CLEARED
ALL ID? N
ABS CODES? Y
NO ABS CODES
ABS CLEAR CODES? Y
ABS CODES CLEARED
ABS ID? N
AMP? Y
AMP CODES? Y
NO AMP CODES
AMP CLEAR CODES? Y
AMP ID? N
DDM CODES?Y
NO DDM CODES
DDM CLEAR CODES? Y
DDM CODES CLEARED
DIM CODES?
NO DIM CODES
DIM CLEAR CODES?
DIM CODES CLEARED
DIM ID? N
IPC? Y
IPC CODES? Y
NO IPC CODES
IPC CLEAR CODES ? Y
IPC CODES CLEARED
IPM CODES? Y
NO IPM CODES
IPM CLEAR CODES ? Y
IPM CODES CLEARED
IPM ID? N
IRC CODES? Y
NO IRC CODES
IRC CLEAR CODES? Y
IRC CODES CLEARED
IRC ID? N
MSM? Y
MSM CODES? Y
NO MSM CODES
MSM CLEAR CODES?
MSM CODES CLEARED
MSM ID? N
PCM CODES? Y
NO PCM CODES
PCM CLEAR CODES?Y

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to add that at least 25% of the time there are no brake/abs/tc lights on dash, the other 75% any 1,2 or all three - Brake showing up only once that I remember. Also got service airbag warning once which i hadnt seen yet. Im thinking its got to be a voltage issue.. need to test the battery. I read what sounds like a bit of a "hail Mary" that there is a fuse for the DIM (dash int. module or dimmer switch? Ive read about problems with both) that may cause the alternator to overcharge...

·
Administrator
71,130 Posts
Use this link to decipher and post the definitions of your Current codes. History codes - the fault has not been detected for X number of start-run-drive events - will self-clear over time and drive events.

Your surge tank has a float and reed switch for level warnings - note that the ambient cold fill line is at about the tank midseam - the flat arrow molded into the tank top -

Coolant level sensor connector.jpg
Coolant purge line & lower connector.jpg
Coolant tank fill legend.jpg

·
Administrator
71,130 Posts
Air bag warning - black magic and voodoo - Buckle both belts, forcefully extend them to full length several times, then try to snap yank the buckled belt out of the buckle/console side strap - that's a pretensioner and they are monitored for electrical contact and WILL set an air bag light if sticky/dirty.

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the link I will pull the codes again and see what i am getting.

Since I last posted and cleared all those codes i have not had as many problems. Still the suspension warning as expected, and i think the abs and tc warnings come on because of that. I checked the coolant level still fine but i do still get that message. Also check gas cap now, which seems tight...
Not the voltage, headlight, or airbag msgs. I did turn down that dimmer switch, which sometimes doesnt always seem to change light level on the dash - the dash went dim itself for no reason but that was during the day i need to drive it more to confirm.
Once when i started that car the interior lights wouldnt go off (and window/lock switches wernt working), until i shut off and restarted. I havent tried plugging my phone into the lighter again yet- it was plugged in the night i got all the electrical and headlight problems. Checked a bunch of fuses, didnt find any blown. Still need to get the battery tested.

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checked cooland again-- if it was a tiny bit too high would i get the message? it is definitely at least at the line on the side. Looking down the hole it is just below where that piece of plastic goes across ( | )

·
Administrator
71,130 Posts
Just checked coolant again-- if it was a tiny bit too high would I get the message? It is definitely at least at the line on the side. Looking down the hole it is just below where that piece of plastic goes across ( | )
High coolant levels will not show a message.

Just at or touching the bottom of that crossbar is perfect.

The phone plugged into the power port - in the underhood fuse box there are two 12V power port fuses in special receptacles - one orientation and the power ports drop off at 10 minutes with RAP (Retained Accessory Power); the other way they're hot 24/7.

12V outlet fuses.gif

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The phone plugged into the power port - in the underhood fuse box there are two 12V power port fuses in special receptacles - one orientation and the power ports drop off at 10 minutes with RAP (Retained Accessory Power); the other way they're hot 24/7.

View attachment 590500
i will check this but i think i have 24/7 power now -- a feature i used to like sometimes in 80s 90s gm vehicles for leaving my phone in the car to charge-- but i will happily disable if it prevents some kind of draw that is causing problems

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

View attachment 590500
I opened the fuse box to move the 2 fuses and I noticed this (picture)
The red wire attached to the black wire appears to lead to a ground and it is cracked and brittle (and the twist on connector looks suspect at best), also the the red wire leads to ring connector that is hooked up to nothing. Anyone know what this is for?

also, what is supposed to be in that bracket where the grey-blue plug is resting?
I'm sure my problems are much deeper than this but doesn't hurt to ask? Appreciate the help thanks

·
Administrator
71,130 Posts
That wiring is some sort of aftermarket hack job for non-factory electrical equipment. It's disconnected so trace it to the electrical source and remove it. Red and black wires spliced together do NOT exist in a vehicle wiring system.

The bracket on the shock tower holds the relay for the AIR pump - that system that supplies fresh air to the exhaust manifolds upon cold start to quickly light off the cat. My 2002 also has the double bracket, one is empty.

Zoom in and look closely at the blue connector/relay clipped to the side of the strut tower.

general layout.jpg

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you
Wow that is clean...
Okay I will remove it.. wonder what it was.
So that looks like the air relay connection (blue/grey) on mine is just resting on the bracket, and yours is attached right?

·
Administrator
71,130 Posts
Attached. It has retainer channels molded in. Snaps into the bracket.

That pic is from 2007 but it looks the exact same today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts