Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2004 SLS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 04 Seville was driving just fine then after making a u-turn today the car acted like someone had turned off the key. We Coasted to the side of the road. There is no dash lights, no starter engagement, no headlights or power windows or door locks. It does however have interior curtesy lights. A New Interstate battery was installed two weeks ago along with a new starter. And until today everything was running just fine. Any suggestion as to what might have caused a sudden power loss shutdown while driving in this 04 Seville SLS is appreciated. Both battery cables BTW are tight.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
6,528 Posts
my first thought is load test the battery. Even Interstate can have defective units. If you can get the power back up then use the built in scanner to find DTC's.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,499 Posts
Was the battery correctly installed and secured under the rear seat ? The ground cable sometimes corrodes off the body floor pan stud. Battery vent manifold in place ? Positive connector link at the underhood fuse box OK ?

·
2004 SLS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok load tested the new Interstate battery. All tests checked fine. Pulled the negative battery bolt that grounds to the floor pan. Completely cleaned wire brushed the bolt and bolt thread hole with wire brush. Reinstalled. Connection tight. Under the hood at the fuse box. Disconnected the power wires and cleaned them up the same way. Connection tight. Here is what IS operating now. Power seats, power mirrors, horn, and emergency flashers. The rest of the cars electrical is dead. Nothing. With ignition turned to on position no dash lights no start and also no key insert chime. Checked all mini fuses all show good. Also with key to on position no power is going to number 11 ignition 1 -10 amp fuse in fuse box under the hood. Checked engine to ground with test light from the positive cable at same fuse box location and all points tested on engine including alternator housing tests fine. I’m wondering if it could be a BCM module (Body Control Module) which controls almost all the electrical functions in this 04 Seville. I’m not sure where its located however some have suggested that it under the dash behind the glovebox on the passenger side. So far that’s it. BTW I also switched the same relays around in the fuse box under the hood #’s 35 ,36, 37and 38 and still nothing lit up...no power. Any suggestiobs welcome.

·
2004 SLS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thing. This car is a west coast car always garaged and maybe it’s seen rain one or twice in its lifetime. Everything on the car... cables wiring etc lookes like it’s brand new everywhere including under the hood.

·
2004 SLS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well we found the problem. Turns out that a 15 amp ignition mini fuse in the rear fuse box next to the Battery under the rear seat was blown. That one fuse sends power everywhere in the dash headlights radio AC etc. I never would have guessed. We did also find a large 30 amp fuse to the rear compressor was blown big time in the samefuse box. We bought another fuse from ORellys plugged it in started the car and it blew immediately. So I’ll assume that it’s a new compressor time. Thank you all for the help and I know where to go when I need advise with this 04 Seville. ??

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,499 Posts
I was about to send you the diagram of the under-seat fuse box. DIM controls a lot of that mentioned stuff.

The Electronic Level Control compressor - rear height control only. It has an integral solenoid control head for air supply/vent to/from the auxiliary bladders on the shocks. It also has a filter/dryer that eventually loads with liquid snot from heat of compression which carries over, rots the control head, blows up the compressor. Inside the RR wheelwell liner. Have fun. At least you don't have the hideously expensive F55 suspension.

Parts in RockAuto.

Click to enlarge, use the < > arrows to scroll.

Auto part Automotive engine part Transmission part Line art Automotive fuel system
Auto part Line art Automotive lighting Diagram Automotive exterior
Auto part Line art Diagram

·
2004 SLS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well from your “Have Fun” comment it looks like I’ll need at least a 6 pack and a lot of patience to tackle the removal of the compressor from its Right Rear mounting location. Just to confirm... when a compressor goes bad and locks up is it the main cause of that 30 amp large fuse under the back seat to blow? Because the replacement fuse we bought at ORellys, which glows when it blows, did exactly that. Turned on the key started the car and within a few seconds you could hear the new fuse pop. Thanks for all the help. ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts