Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing battery drain far exceeding that which I am used to. If I leave my truck to sit for a week, the battery is way down. My mechanic says that this is not unusual for these trucks with all the alarms and monitoring systems. I was wondering what other members experiences were, and how you overcome this other than disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep: I think that's the case with mine. I think it's something else killing my battery. I'm not sure I want to pour more money into this truck. Thank you for the feedback.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can do a voltage drop test to limit what you are looking for its the best way to go about a parasitic power draw. I was able to track mine down in my 02 to the Power/Mirror memory module located in the driver side door panel. Took all but a an hour worth of work to narrow down the fuse that was the culprit and pull it until I found a replacement module which I now have and installed. Everything is working back to normal.

You will read all sorts of stuff people stating its BCM or other things, do not just throw money at it. Go about it logically and narrow it down. Look up voltage drop test. Get an understanding what you are looking for and run through the fuses.

When doing this, open the driver side door, then take a screw driver and lock the door as if it were shut. Wait approx 15 mins for the BCM to shut down completely. After that use your voltage meter and get a voltage drop down chart and run through the fuses under the hood and the fuses on the driver side dash.

You are looking for anything that is pulling more than 700mA when you find it pull the fuse and check if it dies after a day or two. If not then thats 100% the culprit track down the components that are on that fuse and unplug one by one and run the voltage drop test until you find the culprit. Then repair or replace part.

You can get the charts from here:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can do a voltage drop test to limit what you are looking for its the best way to go about a parasitic power draw. I was able to track mine down in my 02 to the Power/Mirror memory module located in the driver side door panel. Took all but a an hour worth of work to narrow down the fuse that was the culprit and pull it until I found a replacement module which I now have and installed. Everything is working back to normal.

You will read all sorts of stuff people stating its BCM or other things, do not just throw money at it. Go about it logically and narrow it down. Look up voltage drop test. Get an understanding what you are looking for and run through the fuses.

When doing this, open the driver side door, then take a screw driver and lock the door as if it were shut. Wait approx 15 mins for the BCM to shut down completely. After that use your voltage meter and get a voltage drop down chart and run through the fuses under the hood and the fuses on the driver side dash.

You are looking for anything that is pulling more than 700mA when you find it pull the fuse and check if it dies after a day or two. If not then thats 100% the culprit track down the components that are on that fuse and unplug one by one and run the voltage drop test until you find the culprit. Then repair or replace part.

You can get the charts from here:
This is helpful. I went to YouTube to find out exactly the procedure. Very helpful. Thanks. I still think my mechanic was right that this particular vintage of GM trucks have an inherent power draw with the monitors and alarms, but I'm going to run this test if I can and see if I have anything unusual. My wife and I had a 2001 Escalade that didn't have these alarm systems and monitors. Never had any problem with it. Wished I had kept it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah unfortunately it looks as if all newer vehicles are basically like this. Most of them have BCM (Body Control Module) and other various components for active car monitoring etc. So most anything I'd say around 2000ish and newer can all fall short to pacifistic draws.

Also if you live in Utah I wouldn't mind helping you track it down one weekend.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,651 Posts
In other Cadillac vehicle forums we have occasionally seen the 12 volt power ports cause excessive drain - if something is plugged in to one and the port fuses are set to "always hot". Normally, the ports go dead with RAP (Retained Accessory Power) dropout 10 minutes after Key: OFF. If the fuses are set to the other side of their sockets the ports stay hot at all times.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use this video as a how-to to find parasitic battery draw.

It's also not uncommon for the instrument clusters to go bad and drain the battery.
My instrument cluster needs to be rebuilt. My Tach doesn't work and the oil temp has also quit working. May be the problem. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the gauge on the lower left hand side. I'm used to having both water and oil temp gauges. Guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use this video as a how-to to find parasitic battery draw.

It's also not uncommon for the instrument clusters to go bad and drain the battery.
I would suggest not using the method posted in that video specially with the Escalades. Pulling fuses is not needed and will cause you more headache then its worth trust me. You cause the BCM to go all freaking crazy resetting on its self etc causing you to easily misdiagnose.

The very first part of that video he has you do a an AMP draw test which is fine, however you may actually have to wait up to 2hrs for the BCM to shut down. Highly suggest not doing that at all.

has some better explainination as to why you dont do this and stick with the voltage drop test.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,160 Posts
I am experiencing battery drain far exceeding that which I am used to. If I leave my truck to sit for a week, the battery is way down. My mechanic says that this is not unusual for these trucks with all the alarms and monitoring systems. I was wondering what other members experiences were, and how you overcome this other than disconnecting the battery.
My battery drain issue was from a bad alternator that had a faulty rectifier that was drawing current from the battery. A new alternator solved my battery drain problem, however the battery would be drained in a couple days not a week. My truck will still lose voltage in a week of sitting. Usually drains down to about 11.8-12.2 volts(12.6v is ideal) if i do not hook the battery to my charger to maintain it. Our Caddy do have a few systems that are always drawing power like Onstar, alarm system,BCM; so your mechanic is right.

I normally charge my battery with a Battery Tender changer once a month or more if I do not drive my Caddy daily when it is parked in the garage. If I am going to park the Caddy outside in the driveway for a few days without driving it then I use a solar charger that has suction cups to mount the solar panel to the inside of my sunroof to keep the battery topped off by sunlight. The solar charger works to keep the battery topped off. I use a 10watt 17.9 volt solar charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter port on the center console.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My battery drain issue was from a bad alternator that had a faulty rectifier that was drawing current from the battery. A new alternator solved my battery drain problem, however the battery would be drained in a couple days not a week. My truck will still lose voltage in a week of sitting. Usually drains down to about 11.8-12.2 volts(12.6v is ideal) if i do not hook the battery to my charger to maintain it. Our Caddy do have a few systems that are always drawing power like Onstar, alarm system,BCM; so your mechanic is right.

I normally charge my battery with a Battery Tender changer once a month or more if I do not drive my Caddy daily when it is parked in the garage. If I am going to park the Caddy outside in the driveway for a few days without driving it then I use a solar charger that has suction cups to mount the solar panel to the inside of my sunroof to keep the battery topped off by sunlight. The solar charger works to keep the battery topped off. I use a 10watt 17.9 volt solar charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter port on the center console.
Thank you. Maybe I have normal battery drain. Anyway, I've sent my instrument cluster to be rebuilt, which it direly needed. Hopefully, that will help. I also disconnect my battery when I let the truck sit. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
465 Posts
Before I wired an accessory outlet on ignition power, I had a dash cam running for a week straight while I was on vacation. Escalade was a little tough to start, but it fired right up without any real drama. That happened about 7-8 months ago, and I'm still on the same battery.

In most cases, your battery should be fine if you don't use the car for a week. Maybe if your battery is old, or your vehicle demands more of the charging system than a stock vehicle, it might not survive without being driven for a week. But a stock vehicle should be able to handle a week without use without too much fanfare.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts