Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '04 Escalade with the 6.0 in it , a few days ago the "Low Oil Pressure" light and bell went spastic. Oil level good, so I changed oil and filter (3,200 miles on old oil) I didn't help. So I replaced the oil pressure sending unit, didn't help. Replaced the oil pump and pickup tube, same thing, low oil pressure. with cold engine temp pressure ran around 20 psi, then dropped down below 15 with warm engine, maybe 6 psi at idle (but NO lifter noise). Any recommendations on what the problem might be?

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,329 Posts
Worst case, a bad rod bearing is causing your low oil pressure.

Best case, it may be something blocking the oil pick-up. I had an similar issue happen a few years ago when I left blue paper shop towels in my engine valley that blocked the oil pickup tube. My oil pressure stayed low at about 20 psi while driving and dropped very low at idle.

I removed the paper towel bits covering the oil pickup in the oil pan and changed the oil filter; so far so good years later.

You may have a similar issue.

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,150 Posts
There is an o-ring on the pick up tube that is a known issue. As it ages it hardens and does not seal correctly. The oil pan will have to be removed to replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is an o-ring on the pick up tube that is a known issue. As it ages it hardens and does not seal correctly. The oil pan will have to be removed to replace.
I have replaced the oil pump and new pickup tube (lubed o ring). Also replaced the oil sending unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worst case, a bad rod bearing is causing your low oil pressure.

Best case, it may be something blocking the oil pick-up. I had an similar issue happen a few years ago when I left blue paper shop towels in my engine valley that blocked the oil pickup tube. My oil pressure stayed low at about 20 psi while driving and dropped very low at idle.

I removed the paper towel bits covering the oil pickup in the oil pan and changed the oil filter; so far so good years later.

You may have a similar issue.
Is there any way to manually check oil pressure?

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,329 Posts
Is there any way to manually check oil pressure?
Yes, you can connect a oil pressure gauge in the hole where the oil pressure sensor sits in the block. You just remove the oil sensor and thread in the oil gauge hose connector.

Here is a oil pressure gauge you can buy.

Note: You have been busy the last few days. The oil pump replacement is usually a very long job to do because of how much of the engine that has to removed to access it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
So you replaced a lot of parts. It sounds to me that you are more mechanically inclined then most, yet you do not know how to manually check the pressure? Really

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
So you replaced a lot of parts. It sounds to me that you are more mechanically inclined then most, yet you do not know how to manually check the pressure? Really
LOL. I did not want to call BS on this thread,but it does not add up.

Poster is able to remove the oil pump, which requires some advance engine knowledge to do right considering that you must remove the front cover and crank pulley/damper. Not an easy job, but do not know how to install a basic oil pressure meter. Weird, but I gave my advice anyway for any novice that may read this thread for answers later.

Sounds like someone is just trolling us by testing our knowledge to see if the forum members give correct information to be honest.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts