Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lexus LS430, 1993 Deville
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought an 04 deville and I seem to be having a problem with the right rear heated seat. It all started when I first bought the car, I noticed that the seat was not working, so I told the dealer and they said they would fix. The first thing they did was replace the lower element, still the heated seat did not work, so I took it back, next, they replaced some kind of controler that is right behind the seat in the trunk. Now this is when everything gets tricky, what happens now is when you turn on the heated right rear seat the cabin light fuse blows (the heated seat fuse does not blow) and the lower element does not get that warm (the back element does). They have replaced the element twice and that keeps happening. Do you have any ideas? Thanks

Randy

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a theory on what it could be. When the light fuse blows, the lower heated seat does not heat. Is it possible that the lower seat heater could have been wired into the lighting circuit, maybe there was a modification that was done from the last owner. The car dealer that I bought it from said that some kind of module in the trunk behind the seat was bad and was replaced. I am wondering if maybe they wired the lower half of the seat into the lighting circuit. There are controls for only the lower seat to heat. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
Not sure about the fuse, but you have it backwards. The button for the seat cushion heats both the seat and the seat back. The other button heats only the seat back. You cannot heat the seat cushion only. I have never heard of a bad heating element blowing a lighting fuse.

·
Registered
none
62 Posts
I have a 2003 DTS that the heated seats havent worked in it since I bought it. All of them front and back do not work. The lights come on at the control buttons but no warmth. any ideas anyone. i keep it in the garage so it hasn't been a huge deal but it would be nice if they worked.

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv, 2020 XT4
856 Posts
Usually the heating elements need to be replaced, especially when the control lights still work, but no heat. The wires at the elements flex every time someone gets in or out of the car & eventually they fray & break. Usually the driver's seat goes 1st because it gets used the most. Here is a link on how to change the elements, with photos:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/126797-heated-seats-not-working.html

If you want to be certain it's the elements, get a Factory Service Manual (FSM) from Helm or eBay & follow the electrical resistance test steps given in detail.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, a funny thing happened last night. I was online looking for a solution to this problem and I came across a guy that had a similar problem as mine, I think he had a Pontiac. His issue turned out to be the lighted vanity mirror was shorting out the circuit. I never use the sun visor, but right before the lights went out I do recall that my girlfriend was using the visor, and I asked her the time before that she was using it too. Now the lights have been working for over 3 weeks with no problems and as soon as the visor is used there is a problem. Can anyone give me any ideas on this, is this a common, or semi common occurrence? The next day off that I have I am going to take the visor down and check it out. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
Never heard of this before, but perhaps they are on the same circuit. Keep us advised. Inquiring minds want to know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts