Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgraded my speakers. Want to keep using stock head unit as well as amps. The system comes as follows (Non-Bose) 4 ohm tweeters, 2 ohm 5.25 front door speakers, 4 ohm rear door speakers, and the sub is a 2 ohm/2 voice coil 10 inch unit.

I have upgraded (plug and play) Infinity Component Reference speakers (both are 4 ohm).The rear doors are a pair of 5.25 Pioneer Premier Mids (4 ohm).I tell'ya the tweeters are a pain to pull out of their posts and because of the design putting in new ones is a crappy electrical tape job to fit in those existing holders. I liked the sound for about a day when I relized the stock sub's gotta go.

Now to my question. I would like to plug and play the sub as well. The system has sufficient power for my taste. I'm looking for a tight sounding sub, same 10 inch size (I need the trunk space). Will a 4 ohm dual voice coil lower powered sub work, I also found an Alpine Type S, Kicker Comp VR that are both 2 ohm - dual voice coil subs. MB Quart also does one. Will any of this work? Suggestions? I posted some pics of the old speakers for a lok at the stock units. Any help from you Pro's would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
The V guys have been using kicker subs for their cars, and they seem to like them. Whatever brand you like, just make sure the model you are considering is suitable for free air applications. soundomain.com is very informative in that regard.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
D148L0 said:
The V guys have been using kicker subs for their cars, and they seem to like them. Whatever brand you like, just make sure the model you are considering is suitable for free air applications. soundomain.com is very informative in that regard.
You have to be careful because the V guys have a single voice coil sub. The base stereo on a CTS has a dual voice coil. This makes a suitable sub slightly harder to find.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Mbai2 said:
You have to be careful because the V guys have a single voice coil sub. The base stereo on a CTS has a dual voice coil. This makes a suitable sub slightly harder to find.
Good point, thanks for bringing it up.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MBai2, I sadly found that out when I pulled the sub out. I now have 2 10" Infinity's dual voice coil 4ohm 1042w's. I'm resided to the fact that I will need a new amp. I've only found 5 channel amps on e-bay so far. The HiFonics Zeus looks good for $200. I've had good luck with them in the past. I will only use one of the subs. as I don't want to chop my deck and I don't have the space in the trunk that I need for work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts