Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 cts with 209k miles. I have been dealing with so many issues. I have this one problem left. I have replaced all cam sensors and crank senors, all injectors, all spark plugs, all coil packs, the ecm, maf, tps, air manifold gasket. The list goes on. Im at a loss as to what to do. Im sure im in it more than its worth at this point but i would like to fix the problem. Thanks in advance. I have been dealing with it since about nov of last year.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
734 Posts
When you say stalling after slowing down, I presume you mean that it stalls when coming to a stop. Several possibilities here, but a likely issue is the brake booster...vacuum leak, seal leak, etc. Given its importance for safety, I would have it checked by a competent mechanic asap. He/she will be able to fix it or steer you in the right direction to avoid unnecessarily throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes when i am driving and i let off the gas peddle completely the rpms will drop. Sometimes it catches its self but others it dies completely despite the speed. I have replaced almost everything. Check for vacuum leaks which is how i found out the exhaust manifold was hanging by a limb at the welded point. I wanted to skip the mechanic due to putting in a couple thousand already. I also have a buddy that has been trying to help me that used to own his own shop. Its mind blowing how i can figure it out.

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
268 Posts
Have you hooked up a scanner yet? If not that's the first thing I would do and also see if you can hook one up to a laptop and then drive around with your friend and have them look at the laptop and see what it's saying. You can data log and then read it afterwards also.

Roy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He does not have his scanner so i would not be able to do so at this point. But i couldn't imagine what else i could really do since i change basically everything. Thank for the suggestions.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,854 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Even with no check engine light you might be able to pull codes. sometimes you can see some that are only intermittent problems.

Roy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright. I know auto zone and orlies uses the cheap scanner and with out a check engine light it wont read. The problem seems to appear after driving a while.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You might consider buying a scanner for yourself. The OBD MX scanner is one that I like out of the six that I have but they seem to be out of stock at the moment. It's really nice because you can just put it in your pocket and use it anytime and you can also link it by a Bluetooth to a smartphone or laptop.

Roy

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,854 Posts
The SES / CEL icon illuminates when there's a Powertrrain emissions-related fault. It's entirely possible that something causing the coastdown stall isn't triggering an emissions fault.

The scanners used by AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, many others will scan for ALL possible codes and give you a printout of what's found.

The small gauges by ScanGauge and UltraGauge are also code scanners.

www.scangauge.com

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool and Information Center

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: so i bought a new ecm and put it in. Was working great for a while then a check engine light came on. The car now stalls again, have a running rich code, and now a u0100 code. What to do??????

·
Registered
268 Posts
Code says lost communication with ECM / PCM "A" seems like it's probably some kind of a wiring problem. Cadillac seem to have a lot of wiring problems and ground issues. I would start looking around for a bad ground to start with make sure they're all good. There's probably several on your car and usually one right at the ECM so make sure that that one is really good. On my 5.0 five-speed Ranger I had a bad ground pin in the PCM and it would stop every once in awhile and did it on a turn inside a tunnel and stopped and cars came around that turn and twice almost hit me and I almost died. It finally started after several tries and I managed to get out of there. Hopefully someone can tell you where most of the grounds are on this car because I haven't played with mine enough to really know. Follow the ground cable make sure that one is grounded good to start with. Check the battery voltage also it should be approximately 12.6 when it's just sitting and 13.5 to 14 when it's running.

Roy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Voltage reads high according to the dash. Its weird that it never popped up before untill a new ecm was put in. I read sometimes its generic when you switch them but idk im ready to scrap this caddy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Did you check to see that the same numbers were on both tags on the ecms? Because if not I believe they have to be reprogrammed to use in your car so hopefully you kept the code numbers off of You original. I believe you can also have a Rebuilder take your VIN and code it according to that VIN. Google rebuilt Cadillac ECM and you can see how much they are and learn a little bit about it.

Roy

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
734 Posts
Definitely check the connections and grounds, and apply dielectric grease to all connections.

Also, based on my recent experience it would be worth exploring the alternator. Mine was spiking over 15A and smoked my battery...nearly stalled a few times at stop lights. No more store brand remans for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Min stay around 14.5 or so. Drops no lower that 13. I looked at the wires a while back and found nothing wrong with them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Did you have the ECM programmed to your VIN number or if you got a used one from a wrecking yard with numbers on it and exact match the numbers on your ECM?

Roy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did the wrecking yard the first time but it was messing up. The new one i just put in two days again was reman programmed to my vin. Throwing different codes this time. Still stalls

1 - 20 of 32 Posts