Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am not new to the forum(just this section as I am over in the escalade section)
Anyway my mom recently got a 04 cts(non v)

First thing she asked was if I could install a media gateway like I have in my truck(which I love btw)

I am kinda stumped as I have no clue where to start(used to my escalade service wise) or how to get the radio out(a service manual would be great for this)
I did find the gateway I have online but not the harness that the car needs(I can post the link if needed)
I have to say the Bose speakers in this car are pretty good compared to the infinity speakers I have installed in my escalade(the Bose speakers and sub in it sucked so they went bye bye)

Only buzz kills I have found with the car so far is the radio will go nutty at random(crazy high volume) and throws a kam code(loss of power code) and there is a rattle when going over bumps and ruts in the road(have checked the rear links and sway bar no luck)

----------

Also forgot to ask

HOW do I get to the headlights to replace the bulbs???!??!

It's shown in the manual on my escalade but not on the cts(what gives??) it needs new bulbs asap(going to convert the low beams to hids) as they are vary dim

If it can be done without tearing the whole front end apart that would be great

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,339 Posts
Re: 04 cts(new to the cts)

lots of good info here: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

check out the exterior section, it goes into detail on how to change the headlights. I have always removed the front bumper because it has gotten easier for me, i've done it a few times. some folks have removed the air filter housing and the fuse box to gain access also, never done it this way.

there is good info on how to remove the center stack to get out the radio, when you have done it once, its very easy.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
848 Posts
Re: 04 cts(new to the cts)

Changing the headlights (HID or not) does require removal of front bumper. It's not a 3 minute job like in my previous Olds Intrigue. When I found that it generally takes abut 2 hours, I decided not to do it myself. The dealer requires 1 1/2 hours labor for the bumper removal and reassembly.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
josney said:
lots of good info here: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html check out the exterior section, it goes into detail on how to change the headlights. I have always removed the front bumper because it has gotten easier for me, i've done it a few times. some folks have removed the air filter housing and the fuse box to gain access also, never done it this way. there is good info on how to remove the center stack to get out the radio, when you have done it once, its very easy.
Thanks for the link it will help a lot

I have seen where people has done it through removing the fuse box and air filter box(which looks pretty easy to me)
I hope I can do it without pulling the bumper so I will try it that way first

I don't know what's up with the radio yet but it does at random when you hit bumps go nutty on the volume(scared the crap out of me first time it did it as I wasn't expecting it) plus it throws the kam code so I guess it's needing replacing if the harness isn't loose

----------

CaptSoloNJ said:
Changing the headlights (HID or not) does require removal of front bumper. It's not a 3 minute job like in my previous Olds Intrigue. When I found that it generally takes abut 2 hours, I decided not to do it myself. The dealer requires 1 1/2 hours labor for the bumper removal and reassembly.
If I can't get to them by removing the air and fuse boxes I will go to my local dealer(take my escalade when needed) and have them remove the bumper as I would hate to damage it(yes I have seen the YouTube videos)

·
Registered
CTS
256 Posts
I'm going to need to change my bulbs sometime here soon. How hard is it really to remove the front bumper? I'm more worried about those stupid connectors made of plastic breaking on me and having to be f****d until I get some new ones.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mattfranz said:
I'm going to need to change my bulbs sometime here soon. How hard is it really to remove the front bumper? I'm more worried about those stupid connectors made of plastic breaking on me and having to be f****d until I get some new ones.
There is YouTube videos that walk you through the entire process

I also am concerned about breaking something while doing it
I wish gm had done it like they did the trucks(my escalade is a lot easier to replace a bulb in)
The cts is my mom's and I would hate to break something on it(as I would have to pay to get it fixed)

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
848 Posts
There is YouTube videos that walk you through the entire process

I also am concerned about breaking something while doing it
I wish gm had done it like they did the trucks(my escalade is a lot easier to replace a bulb in)
The cts is my mom's and I would hate to break something on it(as I would have to pay to get it fixed)
The plastic connectors are relatively simple to remove and reinsert. Also, Not expensive to replace. You would have to unclip them at the wheel wells to replace the DRL/ Turn Signal lamps. That is actually a 5 minute job.

As for the headlights, it's knowing where "ALL" the bolts are and just the crawling under the car.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
Several people have had big probs after removing the fuse box. Don't be lazy, remove the bumper
The SEARCH feature is your friend.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I looked at both the fuse block and intake and yi it doesn't look much easier

I have to order the hids(low beams)and get new halogens(high beams) first but at least I know how to tackle the work

Is the little peanut bulbs supposed to be amber or white?
The current ones are white but I think they are supposed to be Amber as they are on with the parking lights

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,035 Posts
Is the little peanut bulbs supposed to be amber or white?
The current ones are white but I think they are supposed to be Amber as they are on with the parking lights
They can be whatever color you want them to be. From the factory they're clear bulbs, which means they're a bit off white. Some folks replace them with LEDs - I like this style.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AAIIIC said:
They can be whatever color you want them to be. From the factory they're clear bulbs, which means they're a bit off white. Some folks replace them with LEDs - I like this style.
Ah I see
They ones in the car are currently yellowish white and look dull due to age
I am going to swap them out with leds while I am at it as they will be brighter(I get vled bulbs for most peanut bulb applications)
Now to see what color my mom wants them to be(white or amber) before I order any

1 - 12 of 12 Posts