Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 CTS luxury sport sedan that the 3.6 had lifter issues. I replaced them. Still have lifter issues. But now the timing is wrong. I know the 3.6 had oiling issues. My question is this, would it be better to replace it with another 3.6 or go for a V8 swap? I plan to get a loan to get it replaced or swapped. I don’t have a big enough garage to do the swap myself. Any help would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,246 Posts
You say you don't have a garage to do the swap yourself, so I assume that means you're going to have to pay a shop to do it? If that's the case, I have to think it would make more financial sense to just buy another car. An engine replacement is going to cost you thousands, even at an independent shop, and for that kind of money you could get a car. And a car loan has a heckuva lot better APR than whatever loan you'd be getting to repair your existing car.

As for a V8 swap, no, it can not be done easily. It would just cost you even more, probably 2-3x more. Again, it would make more financial sense to just find a used CTS-V and buy that rather than paying to V8 swap your car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You say you don't have a garage to do the swap yourself, so I assume that means you're going to have to pay a shop to do it? If that's the case, I have to think it would make more financial sense to just buy another car. An engine replacement is going to cost you thousands, even at an independent shop, and for that kind of money you could get a car. And a car loan has a heckuva lot better APR than whatever loan you'd be getting to repair your existing car.

As for a V8 swap, no, it can not be done easily. It would just cost you even more, probably 2-3x more. Again, it would make more financial sense to just find a used CTS-V and buy that rather than paying to V8 swap your car.
Yeah I agree. I’ve found a couple 3.6’s that are in good condition. I’m thinking of just replacing then engine. $1,400 isn’t to bad. I can afford that. I know labor will be a lot but I’m okay with that. It’s a really nice car. Just the previous owner didn’t change the oil like they should’ve. But that’s the past. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts