Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Today I swapped my high-mileage 06 DTS for a low mileage 04 Seville STS. I am happy for the most part except the stereo sounds TERRIBLE. It is the Bose cd/cassette with the cd changer in the console.
If I turn it up at all whatever music or voice is on sounds "buzzy" and weird I can't pinpoint it to any one of the speakers (although I suspect the dash one is the worse maybe because it's closest) . I have read complaints about Bose before but the system in the 06 sounded pretty darn good to me. The AM/FM radio in my dad's 1980 dodge ram sounded better. I have tried the DSP settings or turning DSP off it doesn't really make a difference.

I know it can be difficult to upgrade these.. is there a kit I can buy with all new speakers that will fit? And/or a new HU? is it possible it's some kind of voltage issue?
I am getting the service electrical system message (and a few others) on the dash- got an appt to bring it in on Monday for service/certification perhaps I should wait til that is sorted out before looking into a solution.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,497 Posts
The Bose system has speaker amplifiers. I recently sent my radio into a repair service and they said the radio and cassette player were okay. The problem is with the amplifiers for each speaker. When you mentioned buzzy mine in my '89 Fleetwood has a whine sound. The service company told me they sell replacements or they could repair mine.

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Bose system has speaker amplifiers. I recently sent my radio into a repair service and they said the radio and cassette player were okay. The problem is with the amplifiers for each speaker. When you mentioned buzzy mine in my '89 Fleetwood has a whine sound. The service company told me they sell replacements or they could repair mine.
Thank you I will look into this..
I think 99-04 is a single amplifier I see some listings... I wonder if there is a way to test mine . I will need to find it first :)

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great I may end up doing that.. I've been doing a lot of reading. I haven't tried the cd changer yet. if that sounds ok I will know it's the hu (I think?since they lead to the Bose amp separately). If it doesn't though I can replace the amp (with another Bose) for a reasonable price online or scrapyard. I just hope it's not the door speakers I can't find them for less then $300 each- most listings from reputable sellers are over $600.

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is the driver door speaker. It sounds blown. The others sound okay I guess but without the door the dash speakers sound harsh or something..maybe one of them (3!?!) is blown too.
I think acdelco 25717924 is what I need I wonder if any mazdas or whatever used the same speaker if I was to go scrapping..local yard doesn't have any Seville 99-04 range

·
Registered
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
722 Posts
A Deville would probably use the same parts

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
5,008 Posts
Great I may end up doing that.. I've been doing a lot of reading. I haven't tried the cd changer yet. if that sounds ok I will know it's the hu (I think?since they lead to the Bose amp separately). If it doesn't though I can replace the amp (with another Bose) for a reasonable price online or scrapyard. I just hope it's not the door speakers I can't find them for less then $300 each- most listings from reputable sellers are over $600.
use NineWire to bypass the Bose amp...

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found someone selling a complete tested matching system (8 speakers, amp) on eBay.. shipping is as much as the price so around $320 total for me but thinking that may be my best (cheapest) option then I can replace what I need to . No scrapyard near me have anything close .

I appreciate that Crutchfield shows me all the adapters needed if I bought a new hu- but then I would be looking at buying at least 4 new speakers (and size adapters I assume?) and running new wires through the car to the back and doors?
If I pull the hu will it immobilize the vehicle or is that something the PAC adapter prevents?

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,873 Posts
Bose amp is a single unit , probably behind the upright back seat

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bose amp is a single unit , probably behind the upright back seat
yes it is.. i didnt quite make it there today when i was checking fuses under the back cushion (changed one for cig lighter). I chickened out at removing those big seat belt anchor bolts and the trunk lining to get behind the seat because its not like i have anything to replace it with now, or know how to "check it" if it is failing. There is no fuses on the amp itself is there? One thing i did notice is one of those large fuses for "audio amplifier", #63, is not broken but sort of blackened or scored in the middle. I am going to try replacing it to see if it makes a difference. Besides the extra blown "thunking" sound coming from the driver door speaker, all the other speakers just dont sound quite right to me.

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
5,008 Posts
I found someone selling a complete tested matching system (8 speakers, amp) on eBay.. shipping is as much as the price so around $320 total for me but thinking that may be my best (cheapest) option then I can replace what I need to . No scrapyard near me have anything close .

I appreciate that Crutchfield shows me all the adapters needed if I bought a new hu- but then I would be looking at buying at least 4 new speakers (and size adapters I assume?) and running new wires through the car to the back and doors?
If I pull the hu will it immobilize the vehicle or is that something the PAC adapter prevents?
No, it won't. the PAC just keeps the theft lock, chimes, and in the newer Caddies, the OnStar system. Speaker replacements would be best with Infinity's Reference systems.

Installer.com is a great source, it shows all that's needed in replacing the HU.

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Something like Infinity reference 4" for the doors and 6" for the rear? There must be a listing somewhere of what someone used to upgrade.. crutchfield and installer are great for the harnesses etc but i they dont show anything for compatible speakers.

Still thinking about which route.. leaning towards just replacing the one bose speaker.
The cd changer was jammed so I took it out and unplugged/replugged and it is working fine now.. music sounds same with one bad door speaker wrecking it.
Can anyone confirm which adapter will plug into the 20-pin where the console cd changer goes that converts it to aux? just a simple one that directly replaces the cd changer would be fine..

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,095 Posts
I've posted this before - in my waning Navy shore duty days, as a part-time high end home audio salesman, we had a snicker saying - "It's a Bose; no highs, no lows !"

Bose is famous for their mantra of voicing a sound system to reproduce acoustic music in a real space. That is NOT what the average car audio buff wants, so the Bose won't hack it. They need something with a phony lower mid-bass punch and LOTS of noise.

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the guide posted, on what i did with my ETC.
great i think i found it thanks

i see what you mean i can replace the speaker without bypassing the amp etc

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

well speakerS i would at least do the 2 doors to start .. i wonder what the modern version of the Infinity Reference 4022i is ... i see something like ref-4032cfx is 4 ohm

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
5,008 Posts

keep in mind my bose system differs from yours

i replaced everyrhing except the bose amps to each speaker, i also added a cerwin vega 900w rms amp and two Infnity Kappa subs...upgrades since that post. the 6x9's have also since been upgraded to Infinity Kappas

·
Registered
2004 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
keep in mind my bose system differs from yours

i replaced everyrhing except the bose amps to each speaker, i also added a cerwin vega 900w rms amp and two Infnity Kappa subs...upgrades since that post. the 6x9's have also since been upgraded to Infinity Kappas
Right mines just the single amp i'm pretty sure..
wow that must sound great..
Its weird I cannot find any 4" 2ohm speakers on google.. there is a couple listings (literally) on ebay for single 4022i like in your build, but I dont even know for sure they will fit . I cant even find a picture of the inside of the door to see what it looks like. I did a couple of installs many years ago - changed hu, speakers, added sub box amp crossover etc - so i understand at least loosely but no bose stuff and a much easier car to run wires etc. . this seems a bit difficult for me and the one shop i called basically laughed at me saying how expensive changing everything would be. Plus in terms of weather im running out of "driveway install" time here fast. I sure don't want to spend $300 or so on a single bose speaker but its starting to look like my best option for now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts