Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2003 seville sls
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often i notice my rear end sits higher then the front end any one know why? Also what is a good way to tell if i need new shocks in the front is this why the rear sits up higher because the backs work right and the fronts maybe worn and no i have no trouble codes

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
:welcome:

'00+ cars have a slight forward rake. The struts have absolutely nothing to do with ride height.

OBD does not monitor mechanical wear, you will never get a code, light or message for worn struts. Only a test drive (or visible leaking) will tell you that.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
I don't think it's an actual rake as much as an illusion due to the molding in the fenders and doors. I studied that many times when I had my '02 wondering if it was a rake or an illusion. Look at the height of the top of the deck lid and the height of the top of the hood and there appears to be a rake. Now look at the space between the tires and the wheel well. no rake, it's the same.

If when looking at the space between your tires and wheel wells the rear end IS higher, check your DTC's. You may find a code for an exhaust solenoid, meaning that the ELC system is raising the rear end when needed, but not being able to exhaust the air in the rear shocks, thus leaving it high.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,031 Posts
Look at these 4 pictures and guess which is "rake" and which is "level". Pictures lie - my car, parked in a large level parking lot does have a slight forward rake - but most of the time it looks more pronounced, as Ranger observed.

Click on each thumbnail - sorry.

·
Registered
2003 seville sls
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting no dtc also on the in dash code reader I'm not getting one for the suspension is that normal and what is a good way to test the front struts maybe there worn no visible leaking but i want to replace the front bumper that's all cracked it just seems that my front end scraps allot tomorrow when its light I'll snap a few photos and post them

·
Administrator
71,031 Posts
If the front end is obviously low and scrapes (the engine cradle) on anything other than the concrete parking barriers, then the springs are sagged out, not the struts.

There may be a couple of diagrams of suspension height dimensions (and where you measure) for your car in my albums...... the red Seville.

·
Registered
2003 seville sls
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took some pics one my phone so you can see the way my car sits not the most tech savvy guy how do i attach the photos

·
Administrator
71,031 Posts
My way is primitive - I have a computer file titled "E-Mail resizes" I store car stuff there and use a picture manager to reduce each file size to 800X800 or less. Then, start a post - in the lower right corner is a "Go Advanced" tab. Click it, open "Manage Attachments". Use the Browse tabs to get to your picture file - highlight the desired picture and click Upload, then Submit reply.

·
Registered
2003 seville sls
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm pretty sure that my rear sits to high how exactly does that air ride work us it supposed to exhaust air cause mine isn't if that's the case what needs to be fixed cause it pumps up and that's it i have to release the pressure manually cause it's to high

·
Administrator
71,031 Posts
The system uses a compressor, solenoid control (compressor cylinder0 head, a filter/dryer, height sensors, and air lines to special shock bladders. it is NOT "air ride" - it is height control and has nothing to do with suspension control. In stock form there is no way to pressurize or vent the system manually.

OK. Turn the key ON. Listen carefully toward the RR wheelwell - you should hear the compressor run for a second or two to do a preload and prove-out. OK ? leave the key ON and pop the trunk - you and 2 assistants sit on the open trunk lip. The compressor should again run and level the car. OK ? Everybody hop off and you listen in the RR wheelwell for escaping air as the control head vents off the shock bladders and levels the car again. OK ????

If not, use your car's built-in code reader/scanner to find problems with the ELC system. Study and practice the proper model/year instructions in the sticky post just above this thread ^^^ - "How to pull codes". Write down any codes founs and whether each is Current or History. Return to the sticky and open the link with "obd2"in the address - this takes you to a Master Index of all P,B,C, and U codes. Decipher your codes, write it all down and post it all here.

Your post "gettin no dtc on the dash" - The DIC will not automatically show any DTC's. YOU need to get into the system yourself. the DIC only shows what information you toggle the display to or a slew of warning messages if something's wrong. Not DTC's. Separate system.

·
Registered
2003 seville sls
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the thing I'm not getting dtc's and the in dash code reader doesn't have a suspension code i get the pcm ttm rim etc... But nothing on suspension but i know it's not working normally the rear height is way to high

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
Suspension codes in the onboard diagnostics will be "C" (Chassis) codes. I would expect to see one of these codes maybe.

C0628 - Level Control Position Sensor Circuit High
C0655 - Level Control Compressor Relay Malfunction
C0657 - Level Control Compressor Circuit Low
C0658 - Level Control Compressor Circuit High
C0660 - Level Control Exhaust Valve Circuit Malfunction
C0662 - Level Control Exhaust Valve Circuit Low
C0663 - Level Control Exhaust Valve Circuit High
C1735 - Compressor Relay Short to Battery
C1736 - Compressor Relay Short to GND/Open Circuit
C1737 - Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to Battery
C1738 - Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to GND

·
Registered
2003 seville sls
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No codes like that would i get a code if the module wasn't communicating with the computer cause when my sdm module went out it said sdm no data as the rest would say no codes would i get anything like that

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
Not positive, but I don't think there is any module involved so there should be no communication between anything. I believe the level sensor (mechanical) simply opens a circuit to power the compressor or the exhaust valve. A simple on/off switch so to speak.

·
Administrator
71,031 Posts
F55 is the RPO for Magnetic Ride Control, the system developed by Lord/DELPHI using hydraulic fluid, microscopic iron globules and an electrical field to control strut/shock fluid viscosity, therefore suspension stiffness. The fluid changes from about 10W to jelly and back in less than .001 second. There are no moving parts in the struts/shocks except the pistons.

F45 is the Constantly Variable Road Sensing Suspension which used variable orifices in the struts and shocks to control fluid flow.

A SLS has neither, unless the SLS was special ordered with F45 suspension and springs (probably FE3).

NO SLS had F55 - that was 2002.5 - 2003 STS only, then the system went into upscale Cadillac and Corvette lines. It is also used by Ferrari, Lamborghini, and other such sports car makers.

Your suspension package can be found on the RPO sticker under the spare tire cover. FE1 is soft springs, FE3 is sport springs.

·
Registered
2003 seville sls
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So is there a electronic suspension control module in the car? Just finding it difficult that there are no trouble codes cause i know the rear end is to high based on picturesof other same cars i know it's not exhausting the air what would cause that?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts