Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
82 Coupe Deville /03 Seville SLS
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for installing the cabin air filter.... This is the one that is located next to the gas pedal, and it is in 3 pieces!

Thx ...

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Seville STS
192 Posts
Do a search under member mikekilpatrick. I addressed this scenario when I did mine, it is a pretty difficult process. There are THREE rectangular filters that stack up in that tiny space to make ONE filter! The easiest way to get to them is to remove the C clamp on the gas pedal, put the pedal out of the way, remove the seat and then start taking the filters out one at a time. Problem is, the last one sometimes gets stuck, if this happens and you can't get it out with a clothes hanger, you will have to drop the passenger side glove compartment and remove the blower motor (about a 20 minute job) and then fish out that last filter through that access point.

I have all of the details in my post.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
My tip would be to spend the $85 and enjoy a nice cup of coffee and a doughnut in the waiting area whilst the Caddy technician changes them.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Took it out while bleeding to death a year and a half ago. Left it out and no regrets.
X2:yeah:

Both Dadillac and Mike's procedures will work.. The more stuff out of the way, the easier it is. I replaced mine ONCE with the seat, the gas pedal and the tranny cable in place. Not easy... It would be an interesting race to see if it is less time to remove the gas pedal and the front seat then it is to fight in the tight spaces...

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Passenger Compartment Air Filter Replacement

Removal Procedure
1.gif

1. Remove the left sound insulator panel. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Left in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
  2. Twist the shift cable grommet and position the cable grommet away from the filter access cover. It may be necessary to cut the tie strap, and to slice and peel back the foam insulation in order to position the shift cable grommet out of the way, in order to access the filters.

2.gif

3.gif
  3. Remove the filter access cover (1). Push the cover down, then pull the cover out.

4.gif
  4. Remove the tape on the first filter.
  5. Remove the first filter by pulling the filter tab.
  6. Remove the tape on the second filter.
  7. Remove the second filter by pulling the filter tab.
  8. Remove the third filter by pulling the filter tab.
Installation Procedure

Important
Lubricate the new filter guides with a spray silicon for ease in installation. Keep the filters as straight as possible during installation.

5.gif

1. Install the first filter into the HVAC module assembly.
  2. Use the tab or a long screwdriver in order to raise the filter, so that the leading edge of the filter catches on the holding rib inside the filter case.
  3. Install the second filter in the tab of the first filter.
  4. Slide the second filter into the remaining channels of the first filter.
  5. Raise the filters, so that the leading edge of the second filter catches on the holding rib inside the filter case.
  6. Install the third filter in the tab of the second filter.
  7. Slide the third filter into the remaining channels of the second filter.
  8. Fold the second filter tab down and pull the third filter tab up over the second filter.

6.gif
  9. Install the filter access cover (1).

7.gif
  10. Reposition the shift cable grommet. If the insulation was peeled back, secure the foam back into the original position.
  11. Install the left sound insulator panel. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Left in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,979 Posts
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for installing the cabin air filter.... This is the one that is located next to the gas pedal, and it is in 3 pieces!

Thx ...

Aside from silicone spray on the interlocking parts, I would suggest a midget contortionist with the patience of a saint.

·
Banned
98 sls
1,305 Posts
Hey, is the wix filter the same as the ACDELCO filter?

I mean, same install, no issues, same amount of filters, right.

wix part number 24874

And also, is it me, or is acdelco on crack asking that much for filters.

Edit: this is for a 98 SLS

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Hey, is the wix filter the same as the ACDELCO filter?

I mean, same install, no issues, same amount of filters, right.

wix part number 24874

And also, is it me, or is acdelco on crack asking that much for filters.

Edit: this is for a 98 SLS
The AC Delco filter is a charcoal filter, the Wix is not. They will both filter out dirt and debris. Only the AC Delco will filter out odors, due to the charcoal. I think that Fram makes a charcoal filter for our cars, but I have been unable to locate one.

Don

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
That's up to you. I bought the Wix because I didn't want to pay the high price for a Delco. Then I bought the Delco to replace the Wix because I couldn't stand not having a charcoal filter. I will stick with a charcoal filter.

Don

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
I would add that my car smells better and the A/C works better without ANY filter.

If you look at how it is put together it is clearly a last minute engineering kludge. Instead of being at the "head end" of the air flow (like it is in the Deville and new STS, etc) they put it at the end. It seems to be in the perfect spot to hold dirt and moisture against the A/C system were it kinda gets funky.

With out the filter the evaporator seems to stay dryer and smell a lot better.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hmm, got mine out with ease. Putting it back in might be a different story. Mine were DIRTY as hell, so I used the old pressure washing technique(Water hose and Compressed air) and now they are clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Seville STS
192 Posts
Does anyone have the GM part number for the replacement filter? You can get it cheaper at www.gmpartsdirect.com, if they don't kill you with crazy shipping costs...

I don't know about the race, with regards to taking out the seat and removing the gas pedal. I can tell you that I am a six foot two guy and having that stinking seat out makes life A GREAT DEAL easier on ones back! Seat has two bolts in the back, like 3 wiring connectors to disconnect and then it lifts up and back. Probably about 10-15 minutes work and another 5-10 for the gas pedal. Also gives you a chance to clean all of those McDonalds fries, loose change and other junk that tends to gather under the seat. I also used a little carpet cleaner to clean up some food stains. My feeling is, take the pedal out, take the seat out and make your life easy for the replacement! Especially since you should really change it out once a year, I know they say every 15k, but it builds up junk fast!

Mike

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Does anyone have the GM part number for the replacement filter? You can get it cheaper at www.gmpartsdirect.com, if they don't kill you with crazy shipping costs...

I don't know about the race, with regards to taking out the seat and removing the gas pedal. I can tell you that I am a six foot two guy and having that stinking seat out makes life A GREAT DEAL easier on ones back! Seat has two bolts in the back, like 3 wiring connectors to disconnect and then it lifts up and back. Probably about 10-15 minutes work and another 5-10 for the gas pedal. Also gives you a chance to clean all of those McDonalds fries, loose change and other junk that tends to gather under the seat. I also used a little carpet cleaner to clean up some food stains. My feeling is, take the pedal out, take the seat out and make your life easy for the replacement! Especially since you should really change it out once a year, I know they say every 15k, but it builds up junk fast!

Mike
Hehe, I am 6 foot and I took changed mine in 30 minutes without taking anything out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts