Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Coupe Deville /03 Seville SLS
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 Seville that I just bought a few days ago seems to me to be running a little hot ... When at idle at a red light the needle goes up quite a bit from the middle .... Not all the way to the 3/4 mark.

I haven't yet changed the coolent on it yet, however, I plan to do that tomorrow. I've only got 36K on it now! The temp outside was about 96, not too hot, at least I wouldn't think so....

Should I be worried? ....

Thx in Advance ...

... Tony

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
I wouldn't worry yet, but I'd be concerned. It should rarely if ever leave the 12:00 position. Check the usual suspects, cap,thermostat, water pump belt tensioner, purge line.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The belt seems to be ok, I am going to drain and refill the rad tomorrow when its cooler, do you think that will help? ...

Any suggestion on what brand of coolant to use?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
Dex-Cool is what it came with. Changing it won't make it run cooler. You'll have to figure out what is causing it to run hot and correct that.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,116 Posts
:bouncy: Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day..........Go for a 20-30 mile drive outside the city (?) and have a quiet breakfast somewhere. Turn the A/C on, drive home, park, and with the car running note the gauge position, open the hood and observe the cooling fans with a flashlight. Both should be quietly rolling over in order to pull air over the A/C condenser coil forward of the radiator. IF and when the temp starts to climb, the fans should shift to high speed, and the temp should drop rather quickly. If all's perfect, the fans will drop to low speed. With the car running and no A/C in P, the fans should only run when the temp goes somewhere near the hashmark past 12:00 o'clock.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
same deal on a '94 STS.

speaking with my father today, i told him i'm cutting my already huge losses and selling the car. he said he would pay to have whatever that is wrong with it fixed. LOL

thanks pops.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know what the boil over point is supposed to be for dex-cool ... I tested my 03 Seville with my hydrometer and it came up with 126C or 258F .. The tester tells me that optimal use would be for 129C or 265F, of course this was made for the green coolant! ... I've only got 36K on it and I just got it! I hope it's not a HG prob ???

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
I would think it would run a little hotter in stop and go driving. Mine goes a little past if I hit a bunch of Red lights (Oh how I hate Red lights!).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A little past?? Meaning the first line before the 3/4 mark? Thats about where mine was .....:crybaby:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts