Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new 03 Seville SLS and wondering how does one change the Driver 1/2 text on the DIC to an actual driver name?

My 2K Park Ave had this and I think it had to be changed via the OBD11
connector which the dealer had to do. Can't seem to do it from the dash controls...

Anybody know the details?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Im sure it can be done..... Id be interested to see how, because our 03 suburban has it, and Id like to be able to see what I could do with it!!!!!!

·
Registered
2001 STS
189 Posts
I have had it done to my STS. You'll have get the dealer do it with the techII. It's not a hard process, it took my buddy at a chevy dealership 5 minutes.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Im sure there is a way to do it through the DIC.... Anyone got a FSM???

·
Registered
2001 STS
189 Posts
I bought the factory service maunal for that purpose and it says that you need to use the tech II to reprogram the display for driver 1/2. I was a bit pissed of at the time when i read that, but it is still a wise invesment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So...Should it matter that I have the SLS versus the STS....??

The dealer claims it can't be done. But "they" said the same thing when I wanted the Park Ave names changed.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
The owners manual pretty clearly covers this. It has to be done via OBDII... i.e. the dealer. I was just playing with this stuff last night on my 2001. I downloaded the manual and read exactly where it states that.

·
Registered
2001 STS
189 Posts
it makes no difference if you have the SLS or STS.
Here is the sequence from the GM service maunal:
1. Select driver infomation center (on Tech 2)
2. Select driver #1 or Driver #2
3. Select Driver #1 Name or Driver #2 Name
4. The Tech 2 tool displays directions for entering the Driver's Name. Read and press Enter.
5. The Tech 2 tool now displays 17 symbol numbers, with each number (32 through 255) corresponding to a symbol on the ASCII Character Table. Use the Left or Right arrows to scroll to the desired placeholder.
6. Use the Clear Entry special function button on the Tech 2 tool to clear current symbol number for that placeholder.
7. Use the numerical keypad to enter the new symbol number. Press Enter.
8. When all 17 symbol numbers are as customer desired, press the Save Name special functions button on the Tech 2 tool to store the new Dirver's Name in the Instrument Panel Cluster's memory.

Hope this helps you with the dealer

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Curses.... If it was easy (ie no dealer) I would change it weekly for a new phrase...... That would be cool!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts