Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
03 EXT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to add a rear view camera to my truck

will the stock head unit display/accept camera input ?

if not are there any known displays/head units that still allow steering function buttons to control ?

OR has anyone here installed a r/view say.. license plate mount or inserted one below gate handle and are very happy with it ?

thanks for any and all suggestions

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
wetneck said:
looking to add a rear view camera to my truck

will the stock head unit display/accept camera input ?

if not are there any known displays/head units that still allow steering function buttons to control ?

OR has anyone here installed a r/view say.. license plate mount or inserted one below gate handle and are very happy with it ?

thanks for any and all suggestions
There is add ons that allow you to use the stock head unit

As far as the camera location I don't like having mine mounted on the license plate and at night the back up lights make the night vision act up

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
28 Posts
I put in a new kenwood system, so I'm no help there. I added a camera to the bumper, next to the hitch. You don't see it unless you're looking for it.

·
Registered
03 EXT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ideally i would like to put it in the angled down part of the tailgate, flushmount, does anyone have any exp trying to put one there? enough space ? internally?

also, i am installing a kenwood head unit , bought the harness for gm and steering controls, is there a tutorial anywhere here to look thru ?

thanks again

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
wetneck said:
ideally i would like to put it in the angled down part of the tailgate, flushmount, does anyone have any exp trying to put one there? enough space ? internally?

also, i am installing a kenwood head unit , bought the harness for gm and steering controls, is there a tutorial anywhere here to look thru ?

thanks again
I don't know about the camera mount
But the radio install should be easy as the wires on the interface should be color coded to the ones on the radio
As far as getting the radio in the dash
Tilt the steering wheel as low as it will go
Then put the truck in first(hold the brake) and remove the dash bezel (I start at the right lower corner)
The factory radio is held in with three screws you will need a 7mm socket to remove them the rest is just unplug the harnesses

·
Registered
03 EXT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i am able to remove factory head unit, not really getting the gmos stuff....

----------

any ideas on how that tailgate beveled trim comes off ?

----------

ALSO... the factory antennae is different from the kenwood... is there an adapter sold for that as well ? tech didnt tell me about this one....

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
wetneck said:
yea i am able to remove factory head unit, not really getting the gmos stuff....

----------

any ideas on how that tailgate beveled trim comes off ?

----------

ALSO... the factory antennae is different from the kenwood... is there an adapter sold for that as well ? tech didnt tell me about this one....
There is a adapter for the antenna since the factory connection is smaller then aftermarket radios antenna connection I ran into this issue when I installed a aftermarket radio in my grandmas Buick
I got it at Walmart (it was included with the harness but you can buy one separately)

Gmos interface should have instructions but the wires should be color coded the same as the radio

·
Registered
03 EXT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, have the stereo going but cant get the steering controls to recognize,only the call interrupt, whick is turning onstar.... any suggestions there? using the
axxess aswc

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
wetneck said:
ok, have the stereo going but cant get the steering controls to recognize,only the call interrupt, whick is turning onstar.... any suggestions there? using the
axxess aswc
Shoot me a email to the address I posted so you can send me pics of the harnesses and interface
I think there is a program setting or something that has to be done

·
Registered
03 EXT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got a camera that im happy with, where is the best/easy access point to bring wires in on the firewall ?? suggestions?

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
wetneck said:
got a camera that im happy with, where is the best/easy access point to bring wires in on the firewall ?? suggestions?
I ran mine under the trim panel below the hatch (much easier to route the wiring as it is between the weather stripping and the trim panel)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts