Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had this happen before. Recently (within 2 weeks of this post) I had a recall performed pertaining to the key/ignition issue that was sent out in 2014.

I am not sure if that is related to this, but... at around 10 MPH, the car just shut off.

I was able to safely pull it over, and tried to restart. No restart. Second try... BINGO. I am off and running.

I get home 5 minutes later and pull codes:

ABS U1000: Class 2 Communication Malfunction
IRC U1016: Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM

Any insight?

Thank you

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,406 Posts
Unexplained stalls during warmup, during coastdown to a stop, sometimes in a slow turn, or at loop changeover (about 150 - 160 degrees coolant temperature) are usually due to one or both CKPs failing. They should set codes P 0335/0336 and/or P 0385/0386.

The U codes probably popped up due to the hurried restart tries. Another common code that sets during the panic start tries deciphers something like "start attempt in D or R".

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of those codes were triggered. Are CKP's expensive to replace? Better yet, what is CKP?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
CKP = Crankshaft Position Sensor

If yours are original, they are probably the cause. GM had a bad supplier from 2000-2003.
I got a set (replace both) on Amazon for $77 (incl shipping).
A dealer will charge about $450 (incl parts) to change them. Not sure what an independent shop would charge.

Attachments

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,250 Posts
CKP - Crankshaft Position Sensors -

ACDelco 213-1578 - $34.44 - with free shipping -
from amazon.com -
and -
ACDelco 213-1579 - $41.51 - with free shipping -
also from amazon.com

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could any of this be related to a worn timing chain? Or is this the most likely culprit?

·
19,250 Posts
Could any of this be related to a worn timing chain? Or is this the most likely culprit?
===========================
GM had a bad run of Crank Sensors from 2000 through 2003 -
these were the MADE-IN-MEXICO units -

it was not a question of IF they would fail -
but WHEN they would fail -

it is NOT uncommon for them to fail without setting a code -

stalling approaching a stop or turn -
and easily restarting -
and no codes -
are the common symptoms -

the "good" ones are MADE-IN-JAPAN -
part numbers and the best price are posted above -

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is an older post, but is tied to my recent post. I had both crank shaft sensors replaced, and the issue persists. In my new post, a responder told me the CPS would not stall it out and black out the dash at 70 MPH.

So, in summary... had both replaced. The problem first occurred after I Had the recall on the ignition performed, had the shift solenoid assembly replaced.

Some now tell me it is different than the CPS'.

Are there any other suggestions? The codes I am getting are not really related to anything else.

·
Administrator
68,406 Posts
No such thing as a "CPS". There are two CranKshaft Position sensors (CKP) and one CaMshaft Position Sensor (CMP).

Posts 4 and 9 show the locations of the 3 sensors - the CMP is in the lower face of the right (rear) cylinder head - in front of the exhaust cam sprocket.

A fault in any of the 3 sensors or their circuits should not shut down the engine at 70 mph and will not cause the entire DIC to black out. If the whole car shuts down you have power (12 volt) supply or distribution problems.

A CKP fault usually stalls the engine at loop change or slow speed turns/stops. A CMP fault might default the ignition to "limp home" - a fixed timing of 10 degrees BTDC - to allow you to get the car home or to a shop for diagnosis.

Your "Ignition recall" had absolutely nothing to do with anything engine or electrically related - the recall was to place a plastic filler and single key ring in your car keys to keep a load of junk on the key ring from turning off the ignition switch during bumps or maneuvering.

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry... The two sensors with the part numbers in this thread were the ones replaced. I should say it also shut the car down at 20mph and at a dead stop while in park.

I just don't know how to troubleshoot for the 12 volt or distribution problems.

·
Administrator
68,406 Posts
Please define "shut down": Engine stopped abruptly OR the DIC went black and the engine stalled ? Two different problems.

Now you have two threads running on the same set of problems.

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Specifically, while driving, the cars engine/power shut down, power steering lost, A/C shut off, dashboard went blank (off) and I managed to safely pull over. While in park, the car shut off after about 5 minutes, but the A/C motor was still blowing.

When it shut off while driving, it took about 4-5 cranks before it started back up. When it started back up, itt was like nothing happened.

Also, I had just picked it up from the dealer, which was when the two sensors were replaced.

·
19,250 Posts
Specifically, while driving, the cars engine/power shut down, power steering lost, A/C shut off, dashboard went blank (off) and I managed to safely pull over. While in park, the car shut off after about 5 minutes, but the A/C motor was still blowing.

When it shut off while driving, it took about 4-5 cranks before it started back up. When it started back up, itt was like nothing happened.

Also, I had just picked it up from the dealer, which was when the two sensors were replaced.
===================================

see - this is exactly WHY you shouldn't start multiple threads on the same/similar problems -

all this has been covered in your other posts -
it is going to become difficult to follow all three -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/716906-03-dts-crank-shaft-sensor-recall.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/716954-03-dts-abs-slow-speed-traction.html

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of them I didn't think was related. On the other one, I was not getting traction on the title and then went back to the original after going through it to see if there was anything I missed.

I'm looking for help, not to be chastised looking for it. Yesterday I had my 8 month old and my 5 year old in the car on a super busy highway when the car shut off and I had to cut someone off to pull onto the shoulder.

Maybe this was the wrong place to take my issue to.

·
19,250 Posts
One of them I didn't think was related. On the other one, I was not getting traction on the title and then went back to the original after going through it to see if there was anything I missed.

I'm looking for help, not to be chastised looking for it. Yesterday I had my 8 month old and my 5 year old in the car on a super busy highway when the car shut off and I had to cut someone off to pull onto the shoulder.

==========================
maybe

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
basscatt: Why are you on here to chide me for seeking help with an issue? I was looking for solutions, suggestions, responses that were relevant.

I think my explanation of the issue was clear, my responses were clear and my questions in communication with others was clear.

If you are not familiar with the issue, or offer no clear diagnostic or help, why are you spending your time complaining that I had different threads.

You connected a thread that was a separate issue entirely from the car shutting off.

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Troubleshoot Question:

Could the starter be causing this issue? I understand the starter is under the intake manifold. The PCV Hose and intake manifold was replaced at the dealer, and I immediately started having this problem. Could working on those items affected the starter, or cause the shut off problem?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts