Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Deville DTS 2003
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been getting the following alert: Service Stability System. Pulled the codes and got - ABS 1287. Is that the same as C1287 - Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction? If so, do these go bad that often? Can this part be adjusted for rate or just take it out and toss it. In the service records I noted that it was replaced at 55K. The car now has 116K. I know it is a dealer job. Even tho I do most of my own work, I don't think I want to pull the steering column. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,017 Posts
I needed my steering wheel position sensor replaced at about 90K miles for the same service stability system message. I'm not sure how common the issue is but I would have to assume it would be a part that would wear out with use.

Sent from my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
....ABS 1287. Is that the same as C1287 - Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction?
It is. You missed the "C".
If so, do these go bad that often?
Not in my 13 years of ownership. However, I "suspect" the steering wheel position sensor is frequently replaced when the actual problem is simply a little easily corrected oxidation/corrosion at the sensor connector.

That has to be worth a try (??).

·
Registered
Deville DTS 2003
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll check into that before spending any money on it. What is a good thing to clean the connections with? Any ideas?

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Cycle the chassis connector several times (remove - replace - remove - replace) to friction scrub the contacts. OR flood both sides of the connector with electrical contact connector spray.

OR both of the above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts