Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These forums are so helpful. I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

There are a few parts manufacturers out there with varying prices and quality. I know high price does not necessarily mean better quality.

I need to replace both front and the left rear wheel bearing/hub and would like feedback on which supplier/part manufacturer I should go with.

Also, is there anything else I should replace while doing those? I just did the pads/rotors/calipers.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
AC Delco or Timken only for hubs.

The bolts require replacement after removal. The Delco replacements come with them, not sure about the Timkens. Shouldn't be TOO expensive from a dealer.

Nothing else would need replacing, unless you had a lug nut that was bonding/cross threaded or something.

Wire brush any corrosion from the rotor/rim matingbsurfaces while everything's apart.

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been searching online and there are very confusing descriptions of applicable vehicles.

I see some say they come with the wheel speed sensors and some don't. And some say they are a fit for the Deville, but I am wondering if the DTS model of this year had a different assembly?

Is there a specific place that you would recommend purchasing them from?

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
A pre '06 DTS is a Deville Touring Sedan. The '06+ DTS is not a Deville.

A base Deville, DHS, and DTS, all use the same hub/bearing assemblies, with integrated wheel speed sensors.

Personally, I'd get it from www.rockauto.com. But you could always get the part number there, and Google it to see if you can find a better price. Amazon has very good prices as well.

Both front hubs are the same, both tears are the same.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
AC Delco or Timken only for hubs.
The bolts require replacement after removal. The Delco replacements come with them, not sure about the Timkens. Shouldn't be TOO expensive from a dealer.
Hey Cabbage, are the Moog hubs any good? I know they're known for high-quality suspension parts, and honestly, I didn't even know they made hub assemblies until a couple weeks ago. Didn't know if you had any input on their products.

I sell a lot of Timken bearing assemblies, and the return rate is extremely low. I've never seen one that came with the bolts for installation. The store-brand stuff lasts a year or two tops. The store-brand tapered bearings are okay, but the big difference I can see if that YOU grease them. Anything that has a sealed bearing, buy from Timken or from the original equipment manufacturer. And possibly Moog, if anybody knows.

·
Registered
2000 DTS 194,000 miles, 2000 DHS 203,000 miles
893 Posts
MoistCabbage said:
AC Delco or Timken only for hubs. The bolts require replacement after removal. The Delco replacements come with them, not sure about the Timkens. Shouldn't be TOO expensive from a dealer. Nothing else would need replacing, unless you had a lug nut that was bonding/cross threaded or something. Wire brush any corrosion from the rotor/rim matingbsurfaces while everything's apart.
Why do the bolts need replaced? I see nothing in any of the vehicles factory service manuals or the all data saying to replace them.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
The torque value is quite high for a bolt of their diameter. I assumed they were torque to yield considering the Delcos ship with bolts. Could have swore I read it here too, but maybe they're included because of the thread locker on them :noidea:.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,272 Posts
I've been searching online and there are very confusing descriptions of applicable vehicles.

I see some say they come with the wheel speed sensors and some don't. And some say they are a fit for the Deville, but I am wondering if the DTS model of this year had a different assembly?

Is there a specific place that you would recommend purchasing them from?
==========================
for the front -
TIMKEN 513179 - $96.23 - with free shipping -
http://www.partsgeek.com/7j924nv-chevrolet-impala-wheel-hub-assembly.html?fp=pp

for the rear -
TIMKEN 512003 - $102.23 - with free shipping -
http://www.partsgeek.com/4rh2yyz-buick-lesabre-wheel-hub-assembly.html?fp=pp

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Hey Cabbage, are the Moog hubs any good?
I wouldn't hesitate to use Moog.

----------

Why do the bolts need replaced? I see nothing in any of the vehicles factory service manuals or the all data saying to replace them.
I did not use new bolts when I replaced my hubs last year. Don't recall if the FSM says to replace them or not.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,333 Posts
I have had to install both front hub bearings at 90,000 miles ( just after I bought the car) then at 100,000 miles then left one goes loose installed new hub, then at 134,000 I had the right side go bad and installed a new hub. all bearings manufactures are different. The last one I put is was made by FEQ, First Equip. Quality. it only has 6,000 miles on it.

I see that O'Reilly Auto has one w/ 3year warranty. part number 513187 made by Precision Hubs. but I do not know how good it is, best warranty I have found.

When torqueing the new hub nut do not have the tire on the ground or hold the brake on. Torque it by putting a bar between the wheel studs so that the hub will slide on the shaft to set it and TORQUE to 118 Ft/lbs.

Good luck.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,272 Posts
I have had to install both front hub bearings at 90,000 miles ( just after I bought the car) then at 100,000 miles then left one goes loose installed new hub, then at 134,000 I had the right side go bad and installed a new hub. all bearings manufactures are different. The last one I put is was made by FEQ, First Equip. Quality. it only has 6,000 miles on it.

I see that O'Reilly Auto has one w/ 3year warranty. part number 513187 made by Precision Hubs. but I do not know how good it is, best warranty I have found.

When torqueing the new hub nut do not have the tire on the ground or hold the brake on. Torque it by putting a bar between the wheel studs so that the hub will slide on the shaft to set it and TORQUE to 118 Ft/lbs.

Good luck.
=========================
wow - you must really like replacing hubs -
to each his own - I guess -

1 - 12 of 12 Posts