Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 DTS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car will not shift, told I have bad solenoid and entire gear shift
Assembly has to be replaced. Been told to pull up shift and remove cover, what comes next? Is it difficult to remove and replace this assembly?

Mitch

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "won't shift"? Have you pulled the codes?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,268 Posts
Car will not shift, told I have bad solenoid and entire gear shift
Assembly has to be replaced. Been told to pull up shift and remove cover, what comes next? Is it difficult to remove and replace this assembly?

Mitch
----------------------
are you saying the transmission does not change gears -

OR are you saying you can not move the shift lever out of PARK -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Sounds to me like he's talking about the gear shift assembly in the console.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
............. and have you checked the shift cable quadrant ( lever ) on top of the transmission shaft - in the engine compartment 18" in front of where your gas pedal toes would lie................

·
Registered
2003 DTS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't shift out of park, have to press button under ashtray to shift. Been told solenoid is getting signal
But the whole gear assembly has to be replaced. Is that true and if it is how do you remove assembly, is it difficult? I know you have to pull gear shift up to remove and then pry plastic cover off starting from the back. What should I be doing next?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Start by pulling the DTCs. Post them AND their definitions.

Not sure what "gear assembly" you are talking about, but I suspect you might mean the shift assembly (#51). Unfortunately I think the shift lock solenoid is part of that and may not be serviceable separately. That said, I would not rule it out until I opened it up and inspected it. If that's the case and is what you need I'd check a bone yard or Ebay. Opening up the console is easy. Just remove the shift knob by pulling straight up on it. Then lift the wood grain cover by prying up on the trailing edge. Once in there, the shift mechanism comes out pretty easily. Before I installed a DTS floor console in my DHS I remove it to clean and lube it. I don't remember the details, but it was easy.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?Make=Cadillac&Model=Deville&Year=2003&MakeCode=K&ModelCode=K&CatalogCode=66O&SubModel=Touring&eCode=L37&tCode=MH1&mCode=6KF69&majorIndexID=10&minorIndexID=6K10-053&SortKey=49

1 - 7 of 7 Posts