Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Deville with issues. I have had to replace the radiator five times in the last 20 months I have owned her. The radiators always fail on the passenger side, opposite (front) the top radiator inlet hose. I have tried to reinforce this area of the radiators, but after about 4 to 8 weeks they crack or burst. Does anybody have any advice? I'm thinking about buying an all-aluminum unit, but I would rather try to get around spending $300 for one.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,164 Posts
Is the upper radiator hose clipped into the plastic radiator sight shield channel? If that hose is not supported the weight bears on the passenger side hose fitting and the hose can also rub on some rotating machinery.

This is my Seville, original radiator, but the hose support is about the same as yours - look closely....... in the first picture the hose is unsupported; in the second picture the hose is supported by the black plastic cover and included channel underneath. That long hose is heavy......

If you don't have the radiator sight shield you can wire-tie the hose to the radiator cross brace in 3 or 4 places.

Click to enlarge, use the < > to scroll, click the little grid lower right for full picture.

IMG_0343.JPG Radiator cover install.jpg.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have the upper hose supported on both ends, to help keep it from drooping into the front valve cover. What I think the problem is: The upper hose inlet is straight into the rear of the radiator, and it takes the full force of the hottest coolant onto the flat side of the interior front, causing it to get weakened, and finally to break outward. That is quite a lot of pressure at 4500- 5500 rpms. I'm not exaggerating the blowouts. The radiators are literally breaking away across up to 5 ribs, from the inlet to the metal tank retainers. I do drive the car as one should (WOT once a week, etc.) & that has caused at least one radiator failure.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,357 Posts
Would a thermostat issue be causing this? I know it's a different vehicle, but I'm replacing the thermostat on my Silverado because my parts guy told me the thermostats release pressure in a way that is detrimental to the composite tanks on the radiators.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
676 Posts
Were any of those radiators Spectra's? I thought they are suposed to be pretty good. I just replaced a Showa radiator on a Honda with an Oreilly's Murray radiator and it doesn't seem quite as good as the original.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
676 Posts
It's just sad how they make radiators nowadays. They are just plastic junk. That Murray radiator I put in yesterday is leaking around the tank before I even started the car. I think it's a coin flip to get a radiator that won't leak on arrival and to hopefully last a couple years.

No edit feature any more??? I was going to add that these plastic radiators could blow at any time without warning. That's a nice feeling to have at night on the highway. At least the old brass ones would spring a leak and you could deal with it and still drive the car home.

Dang it now I see the edit button

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,164 Posts
So, in the U.S., the 276,000,000 vehicles on the road last month (U.S. DOT info) can all blow radiators at any time ??? Best to not drive then ?

joelgf is the first owner in here (at least since 2006) who has had several radiators in a row blow the same sort of leak at the right side upper tank.

I'd go with a Spectra. Look in RockAuto. It has listings for the OP's 2003 DTS. Look on the car's RPO sticker to find out if it has V03 - HD cooling with engine oil cooler. It makes a big difference in radiator selection\ - and V03 is not a common option.

As posted, my original radiator is still in the car - built in February of 2002. I regularly run the car to over 100 mph and full throttle redline shifts - but never until the powertrain is fully warmed up - at least 10 miles of driving. When will it blow ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts